2nd Trimester

kids making fun of names

I'm just wondering what you all think. A PP got me thinking (Cora the Whore-a)....

I am a teacher and have worked with lots and lots of kids. I don't know if it is the area where I live or what, but I have NEVER heard of a students name being picked on. I am thinking that since there are so many unique names around that maybe they are just common now?

I am sure to some extent name calling/being made fun of still happens, but I have never witnessed it (other than the occasional rhyme). My DH grew up with the nn Gerbil since we could never say his real name as little kids, but it wasn't to make fun of him.

What are your experiences? 

EDIT: I guess I am wondering if it is just in our heads that kids will be made fun of because it happened more frequently when we were kids?? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: kids making fun of names

• I totally agree with you- I'm a teacher as well and I've never heard other kids making fun of names. 
  • I think that maybe these kids aren't doing it in front of you. It still happens... it will always happen.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedori1678:
    I think that maybe these kids aren't doing it in front of you. It still happens... it will always happen.

This.  Why would kids make fun of other kids in front of a teacher?  They wait until teachers aren't around.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I dont know but I love the name Cora. :) 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I think maybe as teachers they dont do it in front of you but I know for a fact kids make fun, my maiden name was Tyson- like Mike (haha) and my DH's name is Ralph--make your own joke! So we both know things about getting made fun of..but guess what we are fine and kids grow out of it so I wont be too worried!
  • Funny this comes up because my husband and I were talking about it last week.  I have never heard any kids making fun of any other kids period in our neigborhood or at the school.  The kids are totally bombarded with anti-bullying messages (it's a good thing) so I think in general they are just nicer to each other than when I was a kid!
  • oh and also we were thinking of Coco as a name choice a while back. My niece called me when my sister mentioned it to her and asked her why I would want to name my baby after a bird. I asked her what she was talking about...to which she responded that there is a clock in her class that sometime a little bird comes out of and says "cuukoo cuukoo" i was cracking up. Kids are great!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah it happens.  But I don't think it's worth someone deciding against a name they actually want for their kid.  And if you teach your kid not to let it bother them when other kids do it then it's not a big deal.  Kids will only continue to do it if they see it gets a rise out of the other kid.

My name is Stephanie (though everyone now calls me Stevie) when I was in elementary school and someone would call me "Step-on-Me" it worked to my advantage because I'd say "Okay" and proceed to step on them, that shut em up real quick =)

• I take it you two up top have never been teased growing. Teasers aren't going to do it in front of the teacher, and the teased children aren't going to run to the teacher and tattle.
  • imagecanamama:
    Funny this comes up because my husband and I were talking about it last week.  I have never heard any kids making fun of any other kids period in our neigborhood or at the school.  The kids are totally bombarded with anti-bullying messages (it's a good thing) so I think in general they are just nicer to each other than when I was a kid!

This!  And to PP's saying that as teacher's, we just don't realize it's happening- trust me, children "tattle" about EVERYTHING!!!! I'd generally hear about it if a child was being made fun of.....you should read what ends up in the "tattle boxes" at my school :-)

• My step mom's last name was Tidwell. She used to get asked," Hey Tidwell, are your tits well?"
  • If its not a name, it will be something else.  Kids make fun of each other, thats what they do and no one is immune to it.  Sure, some kids get picked on more than others, but everyone gets picked on at some point.  I don't think it should be a determining factor if you really love a name.  The important thing is that your child learns how to handle it when he/she is picked on. 
    Baby #2 on the way! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I think there's kids who are going to be teasers, kids who are going to be teased, and kids who manage to avoid the fray.  The kids who are being picked on could be named "John Smith" and they'll get made fun of for clothes or shoes or whatever, and a big enough bully could be named *** McPicklebottom and no one would say a darn thing.

That was my experience in school, anyway.  I do think it's unlikely kids will make fun of other kids in front of the teacher, but there's a lot of observant teachers who still know what's going on, anyway.

ETA:  Really, Bump?  I can type out ass but not D!ck?

• The thing is- if they want to make fun of you- it doesn't matter what your name is- if you are a vulnerable kid in a unprotected situation- your parents can't name you "well enough" to protect you from bullies. I do think that times have changed a lot in regards to tolerance of bullies in school- but I'm sure there is still plenty going on.

• I think kids will find a way to make fun of another kid--and they won't do it in front of an adult or teacher.  They do it in front of other kids who might join in with them.  My name is Chrissy, and it was my 1 1/2 yr younger sister that would tease me at school with "Chrissy Pissy."  There was probably some sibling rivalry there, but fortunately kids grow up and get over it (at least I did).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"