3rd Trimester

Bradley method vs. Lamaze

Just wanted to get some input on the differences in these two natural childbirth ideas.  I'm at 25 weeks, so if we are going to do the Bradley method classes, we have to sign up ASAP.  I can do Lamaze through Kaiser (for free), though I imagine it's not the full instruction, so I want to make sure I understand the similarities and differences before deciding one way or the other (or even both).

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!  TIA!

Re: Bradley method vs. Lamaze

• Lamaze is mostly just about breathing certain ways to distract you from the pain. 

I posted a similar question a while back and got some helpful responses regarding the differences, bradley books, etc.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/30523253.aspx

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can't tell you much about the Lamaze class, but DH and I are midway through our Bradley classes (12 week course).

I prefer the 12 week option because we can revisit topics, I have a group of like-minded people to discuss any new questions I come up with, and it helps reinforce the things that I am learning about childbirth.

Bradley focuses on "Husband Coached" childbirth. Your DH has a major role to play in the birth of your child. This is one of the best parts of this class for DH and I. He is part of the process and is getting as educated on the techniques, procedures, tests, etc. as I am.

Bradley classes also focus on nutrition. It's a major part of keeping the mother and child healthy throughout pregnancy. (I would like to see nutrition made a priority in more childbirth classes/OB offices.)

Bradley classes also focus on relaxation techniques to help you calm your fears during labor. The goal is that the techniques allow your body to work on dilating your cervix without fear/adrenaline/tension slowing down or stopping the process. While it focuses on a goal of "natural" med-free birth, they don't say that relaxation will make it painless. Rather, they teach you about how tension and fear create more pain sensations in any situation, not just childbirth. They equip you with methods of easing that tension with the goal of easing some pain.

There is a lot of education that happens in a Bradley class. There is homework, exercises, and practice that you do throughout the week. While I'm not the best at getting all of this accomplished, I do feel that I am much more mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared for childbirth than I was when I began the classes.

I look forward to my class each week and I can't wait to learn more!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • it depends on what you want- if your ultimate goal is a natural, med-free birth then I would suggest Bradley because there is a lot to the class, but if not I'd take the free one... free is always good!
  • imageSissyKate21:

I can't tell you much about the Lamaze class, but DH and I are midway through our Bradley classes (12 week course).

I prefer the 12 week option because we can revisit topics, I have a group of like-minded people to discuss any new questions I come up with, and it helps reinforce the things that I am learning about childbirth.

Bradley focuses on "Husband Coached" childbirth. Your DH has a major role to play in the birth of your child. This is one of the best parts of this class for DH and I. He is part of the process and is getting as educated on the techniques, procedures, tests, etc. as I am.

Bradley classes also focus on nutrition. It's a major part of keeping the mother and child healthy throughout pregnancy. (I would like to see nutrition made a priority in more childbirth classes/OB offices.)

Bradley classes also focus on relaxation techniques to help you calm your fears during labor. The goal is that the techniques allow your body to work on dilating your cervix without fear/adrenaline/tension slowing down or stopping the process. While it focuses on a goal of "natural" med-free birth, they don't say that relaxation will make it painless. Rather, they teach you about how tension and fear create more pain sensations in any situation, not just childbirth. They equip you with methods of easing that tension with the goal of easing some pain.

There is a lot of education that happens in a Bradley class. There is homework, exercises, and practice that you do throughout the week. While I'm not the best at getting all of this accomplished, I do feel that I am much more mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared for childbirth than I was when I began the classes.

I look forward to my class each week and I can't wait to learn more!

This. Perfect explaination! We are about 1/3 through our Bradley classes and I love them. Bradley does an amazing job of making the husband feel like a part of childbirth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took the Bradley classes with DD and they were great and helped a ton during labor.  I was able to be induced and still have a med free birth - err - if you don't count the pitocin as a med.  There were great techniques learned to prep your body for labor and great info for once you're actually there.  Random fact, my brother was actually delivered by Bradley "back in the day".
  • Just curious from the girls taking the class - do you have a good book recommendation?  My DH would actually like to know more about coaching.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thanks everybody!

This definitely gives me something to think about and discuss with DH.  He's really the only person I want in the delivery room with me, and I know he's really interested in learning as much as he can (he's been reading more books than me!), so looks like Bradley may be the way to go.  Guess I can always attend the Lamaze class too and be able to take what I'm comfortable with from each.

Thanks again!

• We finished up the 12 week Bradley course a few weeks ago and we are so glad that we did it.  It was very informative - our favorite class was a 60-minute "mock labor" where we had to pretend we we were in labor for 1 minute, then get a minute break, then have a contraction again, break, etc for 1 hour.  Might sound a little silly, but each time we had a "contraction" we had to practice getting into a different relaxation position or pushing position and the husbands had to practice helping us relax, breathe, etc.  This helped TREMENDOUSLY!   Overall the class was very useful - from nutrition to exercise to relaxation to breathing to breastfeeding and postpartum care.

The workbook wasn't all that helpful that came with the class - our instructor followed along in the book but it was more the interactive exercises and discussions that really helped us.  As far as books - there is "Childbirth the Bradley Way" which I bought but then didn't read because the class was so informative - the book does have pictures for positioning / relaxing.  Then there's "Husband Coached Childbirth" by Bradley.

Our instructor also recommended "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth.  We have the books but didn't read them since we learned so much from the class.

Hope this helps - I would definitely recommend taking the course.  It was well worth the money, and some insurance companies will reimburse you (we didn't check into whether ours does, but some do).

Good luck!

• I don't know much about Lamaze either, but I don't think that it's quite the same philosophy as Bradley (we are taking Bradley classes).

I think Bradley is more focused on a natural childbirth than Lamaze.  Lamaze seems like it is more accepting of interventions than Bradley.  Also, it's main premise is breathing patterns to distract yourself from pain.  Bradley is all about relaxation and preparing yourself like you would for an athletic event (i.e. nutrition, exercise, kegels, practicing positions like squatting, sitting cross-legged, etc.)

Also, I like how Bradley is all about getting DH involved, and learning about nutrition and breastfeeding, too.  DH was not super keen on it at first, but so far he's really warmed up to it.  We have the books as well ("Husband Coached Childbirth" and "Birthing the Bradley Way"), but I don't think I'd get him to read them, so the classes are definitely better for us!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"