Parenting

NOT starting drama...

https://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/feb/17/40-days-life-abortion-protest-morning-outside-plan/

While I get freedom of speech, not everyone who goes to planned parenthood is getting an abortion, most are just going for care they can afford. Im just happy they arnt being too obnoxious about it like others who have signs with a fetus on them and incredibly graphic messages. Still, it bothers me.

Shoot, most of the people around here are too old to have sex without a doctors concent anyhow.

Re: NOT starting drama...

• ugh. don't get me started. I think people who protest in front of Planned Parenthood are just one step up from people who protest at soldier's funerals.  They are a*sholes. 

Sorry, I'm in a mood.  

• imagesummerbrideDC:

ugh. don't get me started. I think people who protest in front of Planned Parenthood are just one step up from people who protest at soldier's funerals.  They are a*sholes. 

Sorry, I'm in a mood.  

I agree 100%.  The ones that piss me off the most are the people who have the nerve to stand out there with their giant posters of aborted fetuses but hide their faces behind them.  If you are going to be that big of a douche at least let us see your face instead of hiding it in shame!

• Loading the player...
  • BUT there are people who go to Planned Parenthood to get an abortion and those protestors have every right to be there. They are not being obnoxious or showing graphic signs, they are standing there and silently praying. I don't see the issue here at all.

ETA: I do have a problem with the graphic signs and the obnoxious protestors, but at the same time, I do believe in freedom of speech and the right to assemble. Regardless of my beliefs about abortion, these people do have a right to express theirs.

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • The graphic pics really bother me too.  I have no problem with protesting, but those women going in there are probably going through a lot anyway about getting an abortion they don't need to see the pictures. 
    Madelyn 3/1/07 image, Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageMominator:

BUT there are people who go to Planned Parenthood to get an abortion and those protestors have every right to be there. They are not being obnoxious or showing graphic signs, they are standing there and silently praying. I don't see the issue here at all.

Im actually happy they are taking the peaceful approach to it. But like pp's said, there are peolpe that go nuts...and I know that this isnt going to end very "peacefully" Im sure they will only stand and pray for a little while before a shiit storm starts to happen. Whether its people getting upset that they are there or them upping the protest.

• Is it really a surprise to anyone that they do this?  Maybe it's just the mood that I'm in.  Yes it's frustrating that they do this but can they be stopped, no.  So, what are you gonna do, right....
  • imageMominator:

BUT there are people who go to Planned Parenthood to get an abortion and those protestors have every right to be there. They are not being obnoxious or showing graphic signs, they are standing there and silently praying. I don't see the issue here at all.

ETA: I do have a problem with the graphic signs and the obnoxious protestors, but at the same time, I do believe in freedom of speech and the right to assemble. Regardless of my beliefs about abortion, these people do have a right to express theirs.

I agree that people have freedom of speech and it is protected by our governement.  I just think it's funny that they are using their freedom of speech to protest a womans right to an abortion which is also protected by our government.  Some people can't see past the end of their own nose.

• i'm all in favor of a peaceful, nongraphic protest.  I find it ironic though that they are putting up a barrier to birth control that could prevent the need for an abortion.   

but so is the catholic church. reproduction is not a right or a choice, it's God's will.  in one church (actually my fave parish that we've had as a family, we did enjoy the priests homilies and the families we met there) I was shocked to find their pamphlets on difficulty conceiving... their answer to it was natural family planning.  yep. catholic church doesn't believe in intervention in any way. that's why I find it funny when a friend says her catholic ob will prescribe bcp or perform a tubal but she won't place a mirena iud.  What did our pope tell the people of africa?  condoms don't work.  good job. Confused    and dh (ex alter server, graduate of catholic schooling, believer of God) has another reason to steer our family away from the Catholic church.

• imagesummerbrideDC:

ugh. don't get me started. I think people who protest in front of Planned Parenthood are just one step up from people who protest at soldier's funerals.  They are a*sholes. 

Sorry, I'm in a mood.  

Wtf? People do that?? How disrespectful can you be??

• imagemeghan_marie:
    imagesummerbrideDC:

Sorry, I'm in a mood.  

Wtf? People do that?? How disrespectful can you be??

They're a group of anti-gay f*cks who get their attention by doing this.  Google protest soldier funerals and you'll come up with the stories.

• imagelizlemon77:
    imageMominator:

I agree that people have freedom of speech and it is protected by our governement.  I just think it's funny that they are using their freedom of speech to protest a womans right to an abortion which is also protected by our government.  Some people can't see past the end of their own nose.

Sorry, but this is hilarious to me.  You do realize throughout the history of the US, the American people have protested various issues that are endorsed and/or protected by the government.  Just b/c the government says it's okay, doesn't make it right.  In fact, I'd point specifically to civil rights issues and cases like Plessy v. Ferguson ("separate but equal").  I guess people like MLK, Jr, should have just sat down and shut up since segregation was protected by the government.

Don't get me wrong, I think protesting PP is pretty silly considering most of what they do is provide health services to women at a low price, and I disagree w/ abortion protesters on the actual issue of abortion.  I just couldn't let that comment pass w/out me saying something.  Personally, I am thrilled with the rights we have in this country and even when I disagree w/ people, I am glad that they can use their rights and express their disagreement without fear the government will retaliate.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageeclaires:
    imagelizlemon77:
    imageMominator:

Sorry, but this is hilarious to me.  You do realize throughout the history of the US, the American people have protested various issues that are endorsed and/or protected by the government.  Just b/c the government says it's okay, doesn't make it right.  In fact, I'd point specifically to civil rights issues and cases like Plessy v. Ferguson ("separate but equal").  I guess people like MLK, Jr, should have just sat down and shut up since segregation was protected by the government.

Don't get me wrong, I think protesting PP is pretty silly considering most of what they do is provide health services to women at a low price, and I disagree w/ abortion protesters on the actual issue of abortion.  I just couldn't let that comment pass w/out me saying something.  Personally, I am thrilled with the rights we have in this country and even when I disagree w/ people, I am glad that they can use their rights and express their disagreement without fear the government will retaliate.

which is exactly why I said that I find it funny.  I agree with you and would never suggest that MLK Jr should have shut up!

• PP was the only reason I managed not to get pregnant when I started having sex in HS with my now DH.  My family had no health insurance, so I went to PP and got myself an exam and the pill for what I could afford.  If there had been a line of protesters to walk through the day I went 17 year old me might have chickened out and ended up pregnant because I was too scared to walk past their line in order to get preventative care.  So while they do have the right to stand there and protest, they should really consider all the implications.  Scaring people off from getting contraception is pretty self destructive to their cause. 
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageeclaires:
    imagelizlemon77:
    imageMominator:

eclaires - love that you are able to incorporate studying for the bar into your nesting!

• LOL, Con Law study day was Monday - it's fresh in my mind.

I need to get back to it, actually.  Gah... studying sucks.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I support what they are doing & would do it myself.  My parents often did this when I was a child (in the 1970s not long after R v W) & had death threats, harassments at their HOME & jobs threatened for taking a stand against something they believe is murder.   
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... imageDesigning a Life Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"