2nd Trimester

Did you/Are you get(ting) all of the genetic testing done?

I'm just curious.  I had the NT scan done at 12 weeks and am going this weekend to get the AFP bloodwork done.  Anyone else?  

Re: Did you/Are you get(ting) all of the genetic testing done?

• Nope, we decided against it, because it doesn't matter to us. We also have large families and no background, our opinions might change with a familial history.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We didnt do any testing for Brady or for this baby.
  • nope, we didn't do any testing.  We might have considered it but insurance didn't cover it, and I have no risk factors.
  • We've done no genetic testing with any of our children and won't with this one either.
  • We go for the second half of our sequential screen on Monday.

I'm Jewish and our niece was born with a cleft palette, so we did have some reason for concern, but it really came down to wanting to be prepared. We're also not of the mindset that no matter what, I would carry to term. If the baby was suffering in utero or was 100% not going to survive, we would at least have a termination discussion. We would take the situation and discuss it, not make any blanket statements one way or the other.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nope-- we didn't think it was necessary, given our lack of risk factors. We'll reconsider for any future pregnancies, though.
    BFP #1 10/27/2009 ~ DS1 ~ BIRTHday 7/16/2010 ~ med-free Bradley birth @ 40w5d
    BFP #2 1/22/2012 ~ DS2 & DD ~ BIRTHday 9/13/2012 ~ unplanned C-section @ 38w1d
    BFP #3 5/4/2015 ~ EDD 1/7/2016
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• We did AFP, cystic fibrosis, and Tay-Sachs.  No family history but I see no harm in having it done.  I want to know as much about my baby as possible!

• I was on the fence for a long time, and actually cancled the NT scan because I didn't think I wanted to do testing. After I skipped it, I was anxious that I should have done it so we went ahead with the quad screen blood work at 16 weeks. It would not change my mind about the pregnancy, but after thinking more about it, I would want to be prepared if there was an issue. As a side note, I had a different OB with DD and he did the NT scan without even really asking if we wanted it!
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did the NT but those results were negative so that is all that I am doing.  I am 35 so I just wanted to make sure everything was ok.
  • We did the NT scan cuz we saw it as another chance to see LO!  And the bloodwork was just a part of it, I don't think they really asked us if we wanted it or if we didn't.  I'm glad we did it, though, cuz the results all came back normal!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did everything but amnio / cvs. I was considering the amnio, but my nuchal and quad results were good so we skipped it
  • We did the NT scan and bloodwork even though we were not in the high-risk group, we wanted to be prepared if anything was wrong.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Zane_0196-1
  • Yes my insurance covered it and I'm a planner. If there was an issue I would like to know ahead of time so I can figure out what needs to be done and what is available once the baby arrives.
  • We did it and am very glad we did. My insurance covered it and my cousin's daughter has cystic fibrosis which was undiagnosed for years so that was important for us to get tested. It's definitely a personal preference, I would rather know if anything is wrong ahead of time instead of later.
  • I only did what was covered by insurance = quad screen test only.

• I didn't do the NT scan, but I did the Quad screen which I think was a waste of time and money. I haven't gotten the full results back yet, but I did it later in the game at 25 weeks. 

If you don't have a family history and you are not high risk as it is, I wouldn't have it done.  

• I went back and forth on this one.  We didn't do the NT scan but I ended up at the very last minute doing the quad screening.  I was already 20 weeks pg at the time so it wasn't because I would have ended anything, it was more just to prepare myself.  And I was prepared with knowing that the quad screen could give me false results as well.  I got a negative on the quad screen so it was definitely a relief. 

• I did the NT scan and blood work. With no increased risk factors from that I am not going to have an amnio since my family has had no issues in the past. The risk was not worth it no matter how small with no other indications.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did whatever the doctor would allow...and I had some bloodwork done (for Tay-sachs) before even getting married...

I personally knew I couldn't terminate if anything came back positive - but, wanted to know so that we could be more educated about it if something was wrong with the little one...thank G-d he seems perfect! 

• I skipped all the screening and had an amnio because we wanted to know and have something diagnostic versus statistical. I'm 36. I would probably not do all that unless I was at high risk, which I am due to being over 35.
  • We didn't get any of it.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • We were not interested in any of it. What happens, happens, and come what may, we will handle it.

I'm even against U/S and doppler, so neither of these either.

Mom to 3 wonderful Free Birthed kiddos
  • imagemzovoce:
    Nope, we decided against it, because it doesn't matter to us. We also have large families and no background, our opinions might change with a familial history.

This is us exactly.... Yes

• We did the NT scan and blood work, mostly because insurance covered it all and we got another u/s peek at baby.  However, in hindsight I'm glad we did it because on our 20 week u/s they found bilateral choroid plexus cysts, which can be associated with trisomies (namely 18) or mean nothing.  So it has been helpful to have the addititonal piece of mind that our screening results were all low risk. 
  • Yes I  did since I'm 34 and will be 35 will I deliever.
  • Even though we have no risk factors I chose to have the blood test screenings done, I want to be informed and prepared, everything came back fine, but if I hadn't had it done I would have been in a panic for the next 5 months about the what ifs....
  • Ive heard the AFP test has a LOT of false positives. If I had to do it again I think I would forgo all the genetic testing. I ended up doing the amnio, waiting 2 looong weeks - only to find out my baby was perfectly healthy. I dont know htat it was worth the stress.
  • Both DH and I come from large families with no history of genetic problems. We were not even offered the NT scan. My doctor said the results of the quad screen would be skewed (due to the fact that we're having twins), so we declined it and we already knew we wouldn't want further invasive testing (amnio). She did say the big u/s will be able to pick up any major abnormalities anyways..

Good luck with your decision!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"