Birth Stories

Med-free, au-natural birth story (not by choice)

Let me preface this by saying that if you choose to go med-free, more power to you.  This was not my choice, lol.

Autumn Payton was born at 10:45am on Nov. 18th.  Yes, I know, it's taken a while to write this Stick out tongue  Autumn was our "surprise" blessing.  I also have two other daughters.  At the time of Autumn's birth, Avery was exactly 3.5 and Allison was just shy of 21 months.  Needless to say, our house is kind of chaotic (hence, the length of time it's taken for this post to be written).

Seeing how Autumn was my third, I was fully expecting to go early.  Fat chance.  My girls like to stay cozy and warm, apparently.  DD#1 and #2 were both 4 days late.  Autumn followed suit.

Finally, at 5 days late, my midwife agreed to induce me.  Thank God.  I was so uncomfortable and tired from chasing two other toddlers.  My 40w appt was on a Tues.  She told me to all into the hospital at 6am on Wed to be sure they had room to induce me.

At around 3:30am, I woke up to slight contractions.  They weren't painful, but they were timeable.  As I timed them, (about 12 minutes apart), dd#2 woke up.  Wierd, it was like she knew something was up.  I brought her into bed with me around 4:30am because I couldn't sleep anyway.  We laid there to watch some t.v.  Around 6am, I woke DH and told him that I was calling in and that I was also having some contractions.  At this point, they were 8-9 minutes apart.  Still, not painful or intense.

I called into the hospital and was told to wait it out a bit.  At 8am, I called my midwife to give her the update.  I wasn't sure if she still wanted me in for the induction or if she wanted me to wait it out with my own contrax.  She told me to head on in for 9am and see how dialated I was.  We'd go from there.

We arrived at 9:15am.  I was checked by the nurse and was at 4cm (YAY!!!).  Still, not in pain.  Midwife came in to break my water.  I asked for the epidural.  Heck, I had been through this twice before, I knew the drill.  My i.v. was placed at 10am (they need to get 2 bags of fluid in before giving an epi).  They also gave me some pitocin (2mg, if that sounds right?).  My contractions started coming hard and fast after that.  I'd say around 2-3 minutes apart lasting for 45-60seconds each.  They were managable, but getting worse.  I remember asking the nurse 3 separate times if she could turn off the pitocin.  She wouldn't listen (or acknowledge me, but that's a different story). 

At 10:30, I asked to be checked because I was feeling a lot of pressure.  The nurse rolled her eyes and checked me (can you tell I didn't like the nurse?).  She said I was 5.  I looked at DH and said, "she's wrong, this baby is coming".   Not even 10 minutes later, I was yelling to the nurse that the baby was coming and I couldn't stop it.  She checked and sure enough, 10cm.  It's bizarre how your body WILL take over.  There was no way I could've stopped from pushing.  The nurses were telling me to "blow it away" (yah, right!).  They later told me that they HAVE to say that, but know that it's not possible.

I remember her reaching over my head hitting a bunch of buttons.  "OB Stat" was being paged to my room over the intercom and about 4 nurses came running in.  Autumn was born at 10:45am weighing 7lbs 11oz and 20in long.  The nurses delivered her.

Immediately after her delivery, my midwife and two OB's ran in my room Big Smile  I delivered the placenta and found out that I did tear :(  This was probably the worst part of the whole delivery.  My midwife told me that I tore in a wierd spot (?) and couldn't get a needle to where it needed to be.  Needless to say, I had to be sewn without pain meds or lidocaine.  YOWCH.  It hurt.  That, and the nurses were pushing on my already sore abdomen to get everything out. 

Afterwards, I felt like I had just finished running a marathon.  It was wierd because my labor and delivery was so fast, but it was exhausting and strenuous.

I don't want to scare any soon-to-be moms.  My other two were quick deliveries as well, so I (or my midwife) should've seen this coming).  Also, with dd#1 and 2, I had an epi and they were born without the drama, LOL!

I really need to update my sig....

Re: Med-free, au-natural birth story (not by choice)

• What a great story!

I can relate a little bit since my second daughter was "delivered" by the nurse (or rather, she birthed herself onto the bed :) who told me to do a  better practice push and then was yelling at me to stop while she was pushing every button  and yelling to get someone in there, haha.  Your body will definitely do what it needs to do!

Congrats on your new family addition! I also am a bit nervous about the chaos that will enter our house with #3 arrives :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageBabyBoo06:

I don't want to scare any soon-to-be moms.  My other two were quick deliveries as well, so I (or my midwife) should've seen this coming).  Also, with dd#1 and 2, I had an epi and they were born without the drama, LOL!

wow, great story! congrats on your bundle of joy....and yes you kinda scared me Indifferent lol, but its ok! even tho this is is my 2nd i had a c/s w/ first and never labored so i am a tad bit nervous for my vbac even tho i want the experience lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"