1st Trimester
Options

Antepartum Depression

I'm really starting to feel like there is something more to the extent of the crappiness that I'm feeling. I have no desire or energy to do ANYTHING. I quit my second job yesterday after freaking out on my boss and sobbing in his office, I barely function at my fulltime job, and have completely stopped cleaning, doing laundry. I just come home and stare at the TV like a zombie. I'm constantly hungry but I can barely get off the couch to get a bowl of cereal. I wanted this pregnancy soooo bad, and I'm still sooo excited about this baby, but I feel like I'm not handling pregnancy well, that I'm not tough enough to deal with the symptoms. When people say things like, "Oh please, you haven't seen anything yet until you get to the 3rd trimester" I panic. I think DH is really getting frustrated and I feel bad whining to him, or anyone else anymore. I don't see how millions of women do this over and over, I feel like I'm failing womenhood! I've considered quitting my fulltime job, but I know that is NOT an option with our income. Everyday is a struggle to get out of bed, and every night is a struggle to fall asleep. Has anyone dealt with Antepartum Depression? Is that what this is? Or could it be something else causing my exhaustion?

Re: Antepartum Depression

• Options
    You need to call your OB and perhaps seek counseling to get you through  this. Hope you feel better.
  • Options
    It's more then likely lack of energy. I had days during my first pregnancy where I slept almost all of the day. Your body is going through alot of changes and it is a rough road for some. Also get your iron checked too, that could be a factor to your lack of energy.
    imageimage    
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It could be a lot of things, but the first thing that comes to my mind is hormones.  The first tri is tough on your body.  You are going through so many changes physically and forget about changes in your daily life - in 8-9 months you are going to be a mom.  It is all very stressful.  

I will tell you that I felt like this my entire first tri.  Between the morning sickness and the lack of energy I was convinced that I would not be able to do it.  It gets better, I promise.  Once your hormones begin to level out towards the second tri you'll feel like a new person. 

Oh...and to the people that say wait until the third tri, yes, you will be tired in the third tri, but it is much different.  In the end...it is all worth it.  Once you are holding your child you will realize that pregnancy isn't easy, but it is something that you'd do again in a heartbeat. 

Stay strong!  Obviously, if you really feel that this is depression, talk to your OB.  

Good luck! 

~Olivia~
  • Options
    imageMrs.OL:

It could be a lot of things, but the first thing that comes to my mind is hormones.  The first tri is tough on your body.  You are going through so many changes physically and forget about changes in your daily life - in 8-9 months you are going to be a mom.  It is all very stressful.  

I will tell you that I felt like this my entire first tri.  Between the morning sickness and the lack of energy I was convinced that I would not be able to do it.  It gets better, I promise.  Once your hormones begin to level out towards the second tri you'll feel like a new person. 

Oh...and to the people that say wait until the third tri, yes, you will be tired in the third tri, but it is much different.  In the end...it is all worth it.  Once you are holding your child you will realize that pregnancy isn't easy, but it is something that you'd do again in a heartbeat. 

Stay strong!  Obviously, if you really feel that this is depression, talk to your OB.  

Good luck! 

Thank you so much for this, I really needed to hear it.  And thanks to the OP for bringing this up.  You're not alone, I'm having a tough time too.

• Options

I feel very similar.

When I first found out I was SO excited and wanted to immediately start crafts - I crocheted a hat and started a blanket.  I embroidered a onsie.  But now, I just don't have any interest in working on the blanket or anything.

I come home and just lay on the couch and watch tv.  I never want to play video games anymore with my husband, I just want to lay there.  I constantly feel like I'm going to cry.

I am so incredibly excited about having a baby, but I just was not expecting how awful I was going to feel.  I used to go to sleep at midnight, but now I'm in bed by 9:30.  I can't sleep through the night really well and that makes me even grumpier.

I just feel like I've been so moody lately.  I get so incredibly frustrated whenever I throw up.  I felt so great after our ultrasound last week, I wish I could get another one to make me excited again.  I am having serious body image issues too.  I just feel so upset right now.

I just want my hormones to start leveling out. 

• Options

I've been through similar feelings but it comes & goes with my m/s. My problem is DD is noticing that I lay on the couch most of the time & she seems concerned or something but I just can't do much with the m/s constantly nagging.

You should talk to your dr. hopefully once the 1st trimester passes your symptoms will go away. I think the 1st trimester is by far the hardest. Once you start showing, it's more real, then you get to plan & buy things & have showers, etc. It will get better.

• Options
    I think you should tell your OB about this and get some help. You don't have to feel so awful. Your OB will be able to give you advice and may be able to help you feel better. Sorry you're going through this!
  • Options

My first trimester was a really dark period. I still don't "love" being pregnant but I do feel better w/out morning sickness. And I did get an energy burst during the beginning of the second tri. You are definitely not alone at all.

For me I had to go off antidepressants (I was on an un-safe one) before TTC, so this has been my first winter off of them in years.

As far as 3rd tri, I have no idea how I will feel at that point since this is my first baby. But at least in the 2nd tri it starts to feel more real and there is stuff to look forward to. (Finding out the sex, your 20week scan, feeling the first kicks). I just started feeling LO this weekend and for me, that is huge. I will definitely still feel depression but now I feel like it's for a reason that I am going through this and that makes me stronger. Hang in there! It will get better.

• Options

Please, please talk to a professional about this.  Your OB may be able to help you, but maybe not.  Not all OB are intimiately familiar with the complexity of depression in pregnancy and beyond.  So, if your OB isn't well versed or supportive, don't give up!  Seek out a therapist or psychologist who you can talk to to help you determine if what you are going through is truly a "normal" part of pregnancy hormones, or if you are experiencing something deeper and more difficult. 
    Yes, pregnancy does mess with your hormones, your body, your sleep, your appetite, your thoughts, etc.  No, it is not a 'blissful' time for everyone who is pregnant.  BUT depression in pregnancy is often overlooked because some of the symptoms are the same.  So what you are going through could be "normal" and it could be something else.

If you are truly experiencing depression, and you could be, you need to seek help.  It will not just "clear up" and it will make it much harder for you to have a healthy pregnancy if you don't have the mental, emotional or physical stamina to take good care of yourself.

Please talk to your doctor or another health professional to determine if you are going through depression, and if so, what your options are.  You do NOT have to go through all 9 months like this.  I wish you the best and am sending you caring thoughts.

• Options
    Thanks OP for bringing this subject up and for the helpful comments.  I do the same thing, come home and watch tv every day with no motivation to do anything else.  I'm so focused on how crappy I feel that I can't get excited yet.  I really think I'm gonna be one of those women that hates being pregnant.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"