South Florida Babies
Options

if i hear my mil say this one more time...

im gonna tell her off! i swear i am.

i am so friggin sick and tired of her telling me that i should do more pureed foods for mady. wtf?? what.the.flippin.f****?

my kid is almost 2 yrs old and DOES NOT eat pureed baby food anymore...not home made, not store bought...cant blame her who wants to eat blended food?

the topic came about when i was in her house today. i was telling her that for some reason mady has been not eating her veges and meats lately and sticking to carbs. she leaves her meat behind and her veges too sometimes, so i mentioned i was going to use some iron supplement. then (as she has for the other 5 times) mentioned how its my fault because i have "never" made her pureed food that she needs a good bowl of "malanga con potaje" and that she shouldnt be eating with her hands anyways since her kids were spoon fed until they were old enough to eat alone.

first of all....

a. i made all of mady's foods, HOME-FRIGGIN-MADE since mady started solids. i made all her purees! i slaved against a hot stove every couple of nights making her meals for the week for months!!!!!

b. my kid eats with her hands because she is a KID!!!! i will not spoon feed my child every single meal because she needs to learn how to do it, she needs to learn how to use a spoon, she needs to learn what food feels like! if im at a restaurant and she gets messy well than guess what thats what my extra set of clothes in her diaper bag are for.

this same conversation has happened 5 other times, the next time, i swear im waiting for her with my same reply and much MUCH harder!

*sorry for the vent, i cant do it on FB or my blog - shes all over the place!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: if i hear my mil say this one more time...

• Options
    and if anyone has seen my kid eat, then it would be evident that she's not malnutritioned...some mils have no sense of respect at all. she had her turn at being a mom, now its mine!
  • Options
    ((hugs))  I'd be just as pissed as you are.  She's almost two - she doesn't need pureed food.  The only thing I might do is puree some veggies to try and hide them in pasta sauce - other than that I think your MIL suggestions are not age appropriate for Mady.  Good for you for teaching her independence and having her feed herself.
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagerach312:
    ((hugs))  I'd be just as pissed as you are.  She's almost two - she doesn't need pureed food.  The only thing I might do is puree some veggies to try and hide them in pasta sauce - other than that I think your MIL suggestions are not age appropriate for Mady.  Good for you for teaching her independence and having her feed herself.

thanks rach!

im also buying stuffed pasta with spinach and beef also to supplement. im sure its just an eating phase.

• Options

ugh....

Sorry, no advice.  Just want to say I think I will be in your shoes in a couple of years. 

So annoying!!!! Plus they do recommend that babies start eating with their hands at an early age! At least that's what I read! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Don't worry about, its a phase.  Every few weeks Alexis decides she's a vegetarian, then another week it's all carbs all the time, the next week could be meats and cheeses only.  I think its normal.  As long as her diet is generally well-balanced its ok.

I agree with you - yuck on the purees.  Alexis was eating table foods (not purees) by 10 months.  I also have not spoon fed her anything besides Miso soup in a very very long time.  She has learned well to eat with the spoon everything from oatmeal to applesauce because I give her the spoon and let her at it.  

You're the mom and you do what you think it right! You know what they say about opinions! 

image image

• Options

Ay mija, will they ever learn to back off? Probably not. You have every right, you've held your tongue one to many times, we know if it were me I would've told her the first time. Ayden is 22mos and won't eat meats and only corn sometimes, but will eat meat if someone else is eating it (like a friend not even family) you know I don't care for him to eat off anyone's plate (especially if it's someones sandwich, that's where he's wanting the meats from) so I'm having issues myself with that. As for eating with her hands, well get over it, she will use her spoon/fork when she's ready and when she cares to use it.

Don't stress, you've done a great job so far in raising her. As long as you and DH are on the same page nobody should offer their unsolicited advice.

• Options

Seriously, MIL's can be so stupid sometimes.  I know they are from a different generation, but you would think they didn't learn a single thing from raising their own kids.It is completely normal for kids to go through phases with eating. They have good eating days and bad eating days. 

If she won't eat vegetables, just keep offering her fruit.  Nicholas has not had any vegetables since he stopped purees at 10.5 months old.  I put whatever vegetable we are eating on his dinner plate every night and he has yet to ever eat a single bite. He likes fresh fruit though, so I just make sure he gets several portions of it everyday.

He has also gone through phases where he won't really eat meat.  He'll never turn down pasta though, and that is iron-fortified, so as long as she'll eat pasta, you really don't need to worry about iron deficiency, although a daily vitamin definitely won't hurt.

I've had to tell my MIL and other family members where to go a couple of times, so don't feel bad doing it if you have to.  One of my DH's aunts thinks I am a total nutcase because my son doesn't drink from a bottle (he hasn't had a bottle since he was 11 months old).  She thinks that is the cause of any temper tantrum he has, that he needs the bottle to suck on to keep him calm.  She has a 5 year old grandson who still drinks all of his milk from a bottle and everyone on that side of the family thinks that is what kids that age should do. It's insane!

• Options
    imageMrsLeanna:

You're the mom and you do what you think it right! You know what they say about opinions! 

This! <hugs>

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Maybe its bc my mil and I are not very close but I never share stuff like that with her. I really don't want to hear any advice from her. she's nuts! the other day, while we were trying to put away books from our move, I asked her to take care of Joshua for a little while...u know,, keep him entertained. I ended up having to babysit him and her b/c she just let him do whatever. We were using the stepstool in the room to get the books unto the bookshelves and she let him get in the room and he tried to climb up the stepstool, more than once!!. Anyways, Joshua still eats pureed, which is 100% my mothers fault b/c she takes care of him during the day and she still spoonfeeds him. At night, I give him his plate with food, a fork/spoon, and let him eat from there. I have also told her a gazillion times to stop the bottles but she continues to use them for him. uuggh!!

I think you're plan of action with the pasta is great. I also agree that it could possibly be phase. These children love throwing us curve balls every once and while. I suppose only time will tell. GL! and just ignore, ignore, ignore!!!

• Options
    self feeding is a developmental milestone!! you know that, so don't stress it!
  • Options

Honey you are doing a fabulous job at raising and feeding Ms. Mady!

Even Gaby who is way older than all the kiddies here still goes through the eating phase. One night she will just want to eat Rice other nights she will asks for seconds and sometimes just wants cereal for dinner. The point is she is eating and when she is hungry she will eat.

Mady is old enough to know when she is hungry and when she is not. Now giving her puree foods is silly. Have you thought about giving her that V-fusion juice, it's the V8 but with the fruits and veggies mixed in it? I don't know if this is good for younger kids, but I know Gaby loves it (and we do too ;) Maybe you want to try giving her a couple of ounces of that in the day.

And let Mady run wild with feeding herself, like MelH said it's a milestone. My sister spoon fed my nephew until he turned 4 (in November) and when I was over their house she would ask me to feed him dinner and she would get a big HELL NO!

• Options

No experience or words of wisdom here but, oooh girl I am wishing you lots and lots of patience!

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Go ahead and vent.  For the record, I completely agree with your approach (not that it matters!) because we do it the same way here, homemade foods and all.  

I remember when Cedric was around 16 months old and I was visiting with my family up north.  He was already eating 100% on his own by then.  Well, my son was eating his lunch and my 3 1/2 year old niece was sitting eating her soup (on her own) when my cousin (who babysits for her a lot) came in and started spoon feeding her.  My jaw about dropped.  I said "what are you doing?" to my cousin, and she got a bit defensive and said, "what?  I like to baby her."  I laughed and said, "well it just struck me as funny since I don't even do that for my 16 month old!"  She didn't find it as funny as I did.

• Options

is it bad that i searched babycenter.com (the spanish version) and i copied and pasted all related topics of discussion to her email and facebook?

i cant wait for her to read it (followed by a phone call im sure to receive)...dont blame me, blame nikki for the idea she gave me earlier today Stick out tongue

ps. i sent her articles on: "what an 18-24 month old should eat"..."why children eat with their hands"..."coordination and fine motor skills derive from self feeding"...buahahaha!!!

• Options
    imageCesEve99:

is it bad that i searched babycenter.com (the spanish version) and i copied and pasted all related topics of discussion to her email and facebook?

i cant wait for her to read it (followed by a phone call im sure to receive)...dont blame me, blame nikki for the idea she gave me earlier today Stick out tongue

ps. i sent her articles on: "what an 18-24 month old should eat"..."why children eat with their hands"..."coordination and fine motor skills derive from self feeding"...buahahaha!!!

You go girl!!! 

~~Givette~~ Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That is awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"