Birth Stories
Options

My week long overdue birth story (long, sorry) PIPs

So here it is ladies....I've been having a week full of mommy blues and breast feeding issues so bumping hasnt been high on the priority list. 

So Sunday night (1/31) we were scheduled to check in for an induction at 8pm. Our dr told us to have a big meal of our choice. She called it our "last meal", oh the irony! So I ate and my stomach was so upset that I couldn't keep anything in. We arrived at the hospital and got checked in. The dr. made it to my room around 815 or so to check my progress. To my surprise I was already in labor!! I was 3 cm dilated and 75% effaced. She wasn't going to induce me. I was THRILLED bc i was dreading being induced.

So they officially admitted me and moved to me a L&D Room. At 11pm the dr. came to check me and I was 4 cm and about 80% effaced. Contractions were about 2 mins long and about 3 to 5 mins apart, still not painful. Dr. suggested that I get up and walk around to progress labor. So DH and I started roaming the halls and not less than 5 mins after walking around the nurse came to find us. Come to find out, the rooms were all full and another mommy had come to the hospital at 6cm and this was her third. The staff was asking ppl to give up their rooms since they knew she would go fast. Everyone they had asked before me had said no and ALL of the other ladies were less far along than i was. Two ladies had been in the hospital for 24 plus hours and were not progressing. I told DH that I didn't mind giving up my room for her since it would probably be a while.

So we moved to a smaller room. The staff was extremely thankfully and made this VERY known by coming into thank me and tell me out selfless I was. So in this smaller room DH decided not to walk bc we didn't want to have to deliver in this room and we went to sleep. My contractions were starting to get harder but not really painful. Well at about 2:45am on monday morning, my water broke. This was the MOST PAINFUL thing i have felt in a long time. I contracted really long and hard after my water broke and swore that something exploded in my stomach and I was bleeding out. I buzzed the nurse and told her I thought my water had broke and thankfully that was all it was.

The dr. came to check my progress and I was still only at about 4, maybe 5 with about 90% effacement. This is when the pain really got strong and started to become unbearable to me. I asked for the epi! The dr. assumed my progress would come quicker now. Immediately after getting the epi I started to shake uncontrollably and itch! I was extremely irritable and didn't want to be touched or spoken to. Not what I excepted. I also only had it on an 8 as opposed to full blast on a 10. 

Then around 6am the nurse came and told me that they were moving me to a Labor and Delivery room and it was the NICEST NEWEST room they had. They wanted to repay me for moving from my room after already being checked it. Let me tell you RITZ CARLTON room...Very nice.

I also developed a fever along the way and we assumed this was just another side effect from the epi. It was around 100.9 for the rest of my labor. The dr. came and checked me around 11am and I was 9cm and they assumed i would be pushing within 1 hr. Well sure enough come 1pm i was pushing. They had to turn off the epi bc there was NO way to feel or know where I was pushing which I highly recommend for everyone. We pushed for just around 1.5 hrs. and there she was!!

My little beauty arrived at 2:43 pm on 2/1/01 at 6 lbs 14oz and 20.25 inches long. 

IMO...labor is NOTHING compared to recovery and the challenges of breast feeding. I tore slightly and have a small hemorrhoid which are all healing fine. Walking is difficult but again not as hard as breast feeding is!

Re: My week long overdue birth story (long, sorry) PIPs

• Options

She's perfect!

Hang in there on the breastfeeding and don't beat yourself up about how it is/isn't going. BF for me has been harder than the entire pregnancy and labor - my supply is low and my DH isn't able to suck enough milk out, so she's hungry all the time. We're now pumping after every feeding and supplementing her with pumped breast milk or formula if I just can't pump anymore. I do feel like after three weeks it's getting noticeably better and once I took some of the pressure off of myself by supplementing with formula I feel happier. Take care of yourself and just take a deep breath! I'm sure you're doing great!

• Options
    Congrats! She is gorgeous!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats!  Don't worry it gets easier; I had a hard time breastfeeding and we had to supplement with formula but now she is only breastfeeding and I am feeling much better.  It took me about 6 weeks to feel normal again.
  • Options
    Awww congrats!!!! Breastfeeding hopefully will get easier for you :D She is adorable!!
  • Options
    She's beautful and yay for no induction!! Woo hoo! GL with BF and hope recovery goes well :)
  • Options
    Congrats!! She is beautiful. BF does get better, give it some time and get help if you need it. It's a great way to bond. Glad to hear you didn't have to be induced either and I agree, recovery is more painful. I have huge hemmies though and DH told me it looks like my butthole had a blowout. Hehe
  • Options

imageALG29:
    Congrats!! She is beautiful. BF does get better, give it some time and get help if you need it. It's a great way to bond. Glad to hear you didn't have to be induced either and I agree, recovery is more painful. I have huge hemmies though and DH told me it looks like my butthole had a blowout. Hehe

LOL at your hemmies! I looked for the first time today and I was pleasantly surprised!  BTW that is the first time i have seen a pic of collin!! so handsome, where is your birth story?

• Options

Welcome Madaline!!

That was really sweet of you to give up your rooms! 

• Options

Congratulations!! I agree breastfeeding was hard work and incredibly painful to get going.

Are you suffering from cracked nipples? Consider using breast shells between feedings...they cup over your nipple, and draw off excess milk which is caught in the cup, they give your nipples space to breathe and heal because nothing is rubbing against them.

Also a cup of boiled water and a tablespoon of vinegar is great for healing cracks. I would make up a container and then pour some into an egg cup and dip in my nipples after every feed. If you keep it in the fridge, it's really soothing. Then I would smoothe on nipple cream.

Good luck. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options

Wheeee!  Great story.  Good luck with breastfeeding and dealing with the blues.  These are my 2 greatest fears.

She looks so happy on your chest!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"