Georgia Babies
Options

I need a new pedi

My insurance isn't covering our pedi anymore :(  Can anyone recommend a pedi who won't give us a hard time for cosleeping/not sleep training/bf'ing past 1 year/delayed vax? 

Dr. Kute is who we had, and before that Dr. Sells - neither are covered.

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011

Re: I need a new pedi

• Options
    Wow. Got me. But you've seriously narrowed your field with your specific requests. May have to head to the Northside of town for a doc.
    Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Go to a pedi that gives good diagnosis and medical advice.  You don't need an advocate for your lifestyle choices.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageebearwife:
    You don't need an advocate for your lifestyle choices.

Exactly - but I don't want to fight about them, either.  And many pedis just flat out won't do a delayed vax schedule.

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • Options
    imageDomerJenC:

imageebearwife:

Exactly - but I don't want to fight about them, either.  And many pedis just flat out won't do a delayed vax schedule.

They cannot vaccinate your son without your permission bc its assault.  Just say no and go see someone else on the date you want to vaccinate on your insurance if it makes you that angry.  Eventually you will find someone who you can work with.  If the next dr gives you crap for delaying tell them he was sick and couldn't do it then.  Who cares what they think if you feel you are making the better decision?  Polly slept on her tummy.  I didn't care what the drs or anybody else thought.  They didn't come to my house and turn her over either.  I don't think you will have trouble finding a dr who doesn't love the extended breastfeeding.  And hit your ignore mechanism on the cosleeping or delayed sleep training lecture.  That is entirely up to you.  I love my dr but he is a STRONG advocate of CIO - early on.  I tried his way and it sucked so I quit and told him thanks for the advice but that didn't work for us.  He's an excellent dr for medical advice so we kept him.

• Options

I honestly can't remember what his firm stance is on delayed vax, but ebear's right--they can't do it without your signature!  He may want to have a conversation with you about it, but our old pedi (and good friends and folks I worked for through most of my pregnancy, and whom we'd still be with if we hadn't moved) is Dr. Rick Wagner in Sandy Springs.  Their office is in a professional building at Hammond Dr. and Lake Forrest/Mt. Vernon Hwy; phone is 404-255-5222.

HTH; I really liked him and his approach, and there were a gazillion times he just plain made me feel better about something I was freaking out about.  Nothing whatsoever against BFing as long as you feel you want to, cosleeping/not sleep training, etc., at least so far as I know.  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use Ms. Marietta, she's awesome! NEVER gave us a hard time about any of those things. My son was bf'ed until he was 14 months (weaned himself), we don't do CIO either. The big thing was the vaccines and of course she's not allowed to advocate skipping/delaying/no vaccines, but she does NOT give a hard time. No fights, unlike a few other doctors in that practice. She's at Children's Medical Group https://www.cmg-pc.com off Clairmont Road. We live in Vinings and it's quite a drive for us, but worth it. She's a sweet grandmother type!
  • Options
    imageDomerJenC:

imageebearwife:

I agree that it is important to find both. IMO your pedi is a resource you should have a comfortable and open relationship with.  No way for that to happen if you adamently disagree on some of your more personal lifestyle prefrences. 

• Options
    If you're willing to go all the way to Dawsonville, our pedi is AMAZING. Dr. Ashley O'Shields. Pediatric Healthcare of North GA. She doesn't put you through a nurse line to get her after hours either. SHE calls you back, which I think is wonderful.
    ~Tiffanie~
  • Options
    Have you asked Kute for any names? Though we hated our circumsion experience (for lack of education, not b/c of bad medicine) we liked the doctor she sent us to. I can't remember his name but he's in Sandy Springs, I think. He's a friend of hers. She'll tell you if you ask. I'm sorry you're having to find someone new. Have you asked on mothering.com?
  • Options
    have you looked into childrens medical group over on 85 and clairmont road?  we do delayed schedule and don't get any grief for it.  I have a hard time imagining them giving me a hard time for any of the other things you listed.  they've always just been awesome.  we primarily see dr rudnicki, give her a try, if you havent' already.
  • Options

My doctor is on Johnson Ferry in East Cobb.   I love her.  Dr. Marigrace Ani.  She is not exactly "pro" delayed vaccinations, but she has never given me a hard time about any decisions I make.  They are mine to make.  

All she asks is that I sign a form each time I decline stating that it was my choice to decline the vax.  

She has a great bedside manner, too.

Pediatric Associates of Marietta,

3000 Johnson Ferry Road
    Marietta, GA 30062-5698

(770) 993-2922 

• Options
    Out of curiousity...and I dont know everyones situation....but are children on delayed schedules allowed in a daycare environment?  We have to take in our up-to-date shot records every few months at the kids school, so I wasnt sure how that worked.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersbr> Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    brandi, I can't speak for everyone because I only delayed one of Finn's (and now Riley's shots) and I only delayed it one month, but yes, we were allowed to keep Finn in daycare, but since I only delayed one and for only one month I think we may have done it without the daycare even knowing since they didn't ask for the forms very often.
  • Options

Not sure about vax, but love Dr Groefrer at Dunwoody Pediatrics.  SC has always had issues with naps and he NEVER pushed sleep training on me.  To quote him, "they get all the sleep they need".  I also nursed to sleep and never had any lectures.  I BF until 14 months, so not widely extended, but they couldn't have been more supportive of my BF.  He is also a very nice man and doctor.  Love him!

I am not sure about vax I do know the practice supports and advocate AAP guidelines, but because I never asked to delay anything cannot tell you how they would respond or if they would refuse you. 

Parking is also free, not a reason to go to a pedi but hey, nice.  

Good luck, and while I do think sound medical advice is a necessity, I believe you must have a doctor who is on board with your parenting style and supportive....no one needs a lecture or to be made to feel guilty and you really need to trust your doctor 100%.   

• Options

Hey Jenn,

I don't post a lot, but I read your blog and I think we share views regarding attachment-style parenting :)  I'm a cloth diapering, co-sleeping, breast feeding, baby-wearing mom myself!!   

My pediatrician is Dr. Geoffrey Simon at Atlanta Children's Clinical Center.  Their website is https://www.atlchildrens.com/  He's located in Buckhead on a road in between Peachtree and Paces Ferry (close to the Petsmart/Sports Authority complex).

I found him through recommendations from moms on the Mothering boards.  He's open to delayed vaccination schedules.  He told us that he'll work with us on a vac. schedule that we, as parents, are comfortable with.  I highly recommend his office.  I've also had good experiences when we've had to go for last minute sick visits too.

Good luck choosing a new pedi.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I love Dr. Loventhal at Children's Wellness Center. I think they are ok with delayed vaccines as long as you are planning to give them. He doesn't have a problem with extended BF, either. I interviewed at the practice mentioned above on Clairmont and 85 when I was looking for a nursing job and they seemed really nice, too.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options
    I go to Kennesaw Pedi. LOVE them. Conner has had one round of vacs and he had a reaction so I said no more. They had me sign a form and that was it. They are very much OK w/a delayed schedule. We part time co-sleep (he starts in his bed and winds up in ours), he just weaned and is 15mos. They trust the instincts of the parent(s). I don't know if you want to travel that far though.
  • Options

I second Dr Simon and also Dr Maxey from the same practice... both L and C saw (maybe still see...not sure) them and their parents share your parenting choices.

I personally liked Dr Simon better and he would have been our choice for the girls had we not moved away... Dr Maxey was just a tad "hippy" for my taste, lol.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"