1st Trimester

Cosmetology School While Pregnant?

I'm currently in a cosmetology school (40 hours a week) and just found out that I'm pregnant. My husband is leery of me staying in school because of the different chemicals that we are exposed to daily.

Has anyone gone all the way through in a cosmetology while pregnant? 

Are the chemicals used really harmful?

Thanks for the input!  :)

Re: Cosmetology School While Pregnant?

• I would be more concerned about the time in class. I was EXAUSTED my first trimester. I would ask your doctor and bring it up with whoever runs the program. I am a Biotechnology student and we work with quite a few chemicals. My OB said it was fine, and the lab instructor just warned me about the smells and if I got ill, to excuse myself. It wasn't too bad for me.
  • I would be very concerned about the chemicals.  I have done some 'lab safety' work w/ our cosmotology area and I'd teccomend you talk to your OB about this ASAP...and you talk to your instructors, even though it's earlier than you might tell anyone otherwise--you should be able to get MSDS sheets for the chemicals you're exposed to.

(although, there is a pesky loophole--employees have to be given MSDS sheets by law...students don't HAVE to ge given them.  they'll likely give them but they don't *HAVE* to)

• Loading the player...
  • i am a hair stylist and i just gave up my job atthe salon because of the chemicals.  in school however you are not exposed to the same things.  if you can avoid mixing the color especially lightener, or applying any texturizers ( perms, relaxers) you should be ok in school, i wouldnt make yourself crazy talk to the doctor.  the reason i left my job was because of the brazilian keratin relaxers, they contain formaldehyde that my ob said i should not be anywhere near even in the room of at all and there was just no avoiding it daily so se la vie ! 
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • you have to ask about the chemicals.

If i can complete law school and work full time while pregnant with DD1- you should be able to do it from the standpoint of time commitment and homework.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Hi there..I was in cosmetology school when I was in my first trimester and worked in a spa. I was preggo with twins and Twin B ended up with several health conditions. she has VACTERL association, with her main defect being TEF. They are unsure If It Is genetic or environmental or If It just happens. I am NOT trying to scare you at all!!!! BUT If I could have a do over I would not have stayed in school ..It just bothers me to think that all those chemicals may have had something to do with it. On the other hand, Twin A was born perfect!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"