Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

xp: Clogged duct?

Ugh...I think I might have a clogged duct on my left breast. What is the best way to clear this up? How do I know for sure that is what it is? I just noticed it tonight- it is like a hard bump on the outside of my boob. It doesnt hurt per se, but the area around it seems to be tender. I feel like production on that side has dropped recently too...

Does this all sound like a clogged duct?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: xp: Clogged duct?

• Options
    yes it does;  I used to do a hot compress or heating pad.  check kellymom.com too
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Sounds like a clogged duct.  The absolute best way to clear it is to put baby on the breast and let him nurse.

If you're EPing, then pump, pump, pump.  While running the pump massage the clog directly.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like it to me. Use hot compresses and massage the area. A hot shower is also good to get the milk going. Make sure that you keep nursing on that side, too.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    yes, it does sound like a clogged duct.  massage, warm shower, but the best thing for me is to nurse, nurse, nurse (and massage while nursing).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sounds like it to me.  I just recently had this problem - few days ago.  I tried pumping but it didn't seem to help that much.  I also tried a hot shower - did help.  And, like the others said, nurse, nurse, nurse.  I nursed exclusively on the clogged side and pumped the good side.  For me it took 3 feedings before everything felt good again.  I hope things get better for you super fast.
  • Options

Hey Meech, I think I have the same thing.  I am not sure if it is a recurrence of mastitis (this would make round 3) or a clogged duct - I think it's the latter since I don't seem to be feverish or feel as horribly crappy as I did with mastitis.  A friend of mine who is a clinical nurse practitioner told me to massage, use hot compresses, nurse, pump, rest, stay hydrated, and try the football hold when your LO nurses.  That way his chin will massage against the nodule.

Mine came on around 4 a.m. on Saturday and feels much better today.

Hang in there!

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    Sounds like it to me. No suggestions other than already mentioned. I've had one on my right breast since Thursday! It just won't go!! This is the 2nd time I've had one in the same exact spot!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"