2nd Trimester

Not getting infant car seat/carrier thing?

Am I the only one in the universe not getting those infant car seats that snap into a base in the car then snap into a stroller?

I'm getting the 3 in 1 convertible car seats that just stay in the car all the time... When I get to my destination I'm going to lift the babies into the stroller (which accommodates newborns).

EVERYONE is acting like this is some insanely dumb move. At the store where we bought the stroller the lady was acting like this is baby-gear suicide. The carseat guy at BRU reacted the same way.

I'm thinking those seats are heavy as crap when they're empty. They are going to be super heavy with babies in them (and I'm having two!). So why spend the money on them when I can just invest in a 3 in 1 carseat. I know I may wake the babies up when transferring them from car to stroller, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Did anyone else skip the infant car seat carrier things and survive?

Re: Not getting infant car seat/carrier thing?

• Its not horrible to do, but the infant seats are safer for infants. Thats probably why you are getting that reaction.
  • I might be taking this route also. I HATED the infant carrier with my DD and I often times left it in the car. I am thinking I will buy a convertible car seat and then just lift the baby in and out. I wore my DD for the first year and I never bought a travel system so it won't really be much different.  

• Loading the player...
  • I dont think you are nuts, but it certainly isnt going to be easy doing that everytime you go somewhere. Sometimes I run 3-4 errands at a time & I cant imagine taking 2 babies out of a carseat & re-strapping them in at every stop.  Plus, in the beginning, newborns sleep a lot, you could get a lot more done by letting them sleep through it. And there were so many times that I brought DS inside asleep to let him finish up nap. If I had to wake him, we would have missed out on A LOT of naptimes!  Im not trying to convince you, just explaining why some might think you are crazy :)

I also tend to think infant seats are safer. Just be sure to check the weight limits, some seats cant be used until 8-12 lbs & your twins could be a little smaller.

GL

eta- it does look like most convertibles start at 5 lbs now, that wasnt the case when I had DS. so you might be ok there.

• I dont have a baby yet, so I only know what others told me. But I hear the infant carrier thing is great if you arrive at your destination and the baby (babies, in your case OP) are sleeping. You can take the carrier out of the car without waking the baby.

If the baby is in a car seat and you have to transfer to a stroller, you might wake him/her up.

Just a thought...to each his own! If you dont want them, don't get them Smile

• newborns don't fit in those all that well.  if you're having twins, i'd reconsider.  yeah it's an expense, but i think it's well worth it for them to be properly cushioned, esp if your LO's are going to start out on the small side.

RE: waking.  it's a chance you're willing to take because you're not sleep deprived right now ;-)

ETA - maybe check with the multiples board to see what they recommend as far as double stroller or maybe an alternative baby carrier.  like one of the PP, i never hauled a stroller because i wore my baby in a sling BUT i only had 1.  Will you be traveling with 2 babies alone often, or will you have other hands to help you out at first?  

• you couldnt see it but I was giving you that look too! :-/

infants sleep soooo much and keeping them asleep is half the battle. Infant seats make this possible. Are you not planning on going anywhere the first few months? Also - what if you go to ... lets say; the Grocery Store or Target ... will you transfer them to the stroller to do your errand? I wouldve never left the house if I had 2 newborns and no infant seats but thats just me.

• I contemplated starting with a convertible car seat but decided to go with an infant carrier.  I'm very glad with this decision.  It's not worth waking up a sleeping baby just to transfer them from the carseat to a stroller.

I purchased the Britax Chaperone infant carrier which snaps into the Britax Chaperone stroller.  I'm not sure that would be a good solution for twins, but there might be something like it out there for a double stroller.    
  • I do not think I am going to get one. I had one for my DD and they are sooo heavy. I plan on using a Maya wrap mostly with DS so I won't miss the whole travel system thing. You are not crazy. Just remember that people at the store want you to think that so that they can sell you two car seats instead of one.
  • imageIrishBrideND:
    Its not horrible to do, but the infant seats are safer for infants. Thats probably why you are getting that reaction.

The 3 in 1 car seats are made for infants too.

I don't think it's that big of a deal if it's going to be easier for you. For me and DH, it's easier to buy the infant car seat in the travel system because you can purchase just the base to put in another car (and since we have different vehicles, it's a lot quicker to just have the base in each vehicle all the time, and snap the car seat right into it and go.)  If you have two different cars that the kids will be riding in, and your entire goal is to make it easier on you, then the 3 in 1's will actually be more work. But, if you don't ever have to switch which vehicle they ride in, then there's no reason why you shouldn't do it. (I did a quick look at the convertible infant ones, and didn't see that this was an option....but I might be wrong.)

Kinley Joy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • And if you do go that route you have to have a stroller than reclines completely flat for a newborn.
  • imageteelaman:

imageIrishBrideND:
    Its not horrible to do, but the infant seats are safer for infants. Thats probably why you are getting that reaction.

The 3 in 1 car seats are made for infants too.

I don't think it's that big of a deal if it's going to be easier for you. For me and DH, it's easier to buy the infant car seat in the travel system because you can purchase just the base to put in another car (and since we have different vehicles, it's a lot quicker to just have the base in each vehicle all the time, and snap the car seat right into it and go.)  If you have two different cars that the kids will be riding in, and your entire goal is to make it easier on you, then the 3 in 1's will actually be more work. But, if you don't ever have to switch which vehicle they ride in, then there's no reason why you shouldn't do it. (I did a quick look at the convertible infant ones, and didn't see that this was an option....but I might be wrong.)

Yes I realize they are made for infants too. But that doesn't mean they are AS safe as infant seats.

Again, its not wrong to go with a convertable, I was simply pointing out a possible reason for peoples reactions.

• Another reason I think waking isn't an issue:  When I have several errands to run, I won't take the babies with me. Both my mom and MIL live within 15 minutes of us (and both are SAHMs with no more kids at home... AKA they have LOTS of time on their hands and are eager to babysit grandbabies...). If I am going to more than one place to run errands, I am lucky enough to have a grandma that can come stay with the babies for a couple hours, any time any day. I don't think I would want to take newborn twins too many places the first few months anyway.

I had not looked into the 8lb weight minimum though. That's a good point. I need to go find out what the minimum of our car seats is and figure out what to do if the babies don't meet that weight.

• I'm not getting on either and I am getting the same reaction... The car seat we got reclines like a infant car seat and we are going to ahve to buy a regular anyways so why spend more?
  • imagemacphx:
    I'm not getting on either and I am getting the same reaction... The car seat we got reclines like a infant car seat and we are going to ahve to buy a regular anyways so why spend more?

exactly! And our stroller reclines fully too.

• Eh, no biggie, sounds like you've thought of any disadvantages and are prepared for them. And, hey, if you ever change your mind they woud've needed the convertible seats anyway, so no harm no foul.
  • I'm sure it's possible, but I wouldn't recommend not having one. LOs fall asleep in the car so often, I couldn't imagine having to pull them out of the convertible all the time.

However, I'm sure they aren't an absolute necessity.

• I would just make sure you find ones with a low weight limit since twins tend to be smaller.Also I would check with the hospital on the car seats you decide on to see if theres modifications they are able to make with those car seats if the dont pass the car seat tests. We are having twins too, but we are doing the carriers, and Im worried about the weight of the girls and them passing the car seat tests, but checked with the hospital to see what things they can do to adjust the car seat if they are small.
  • Dh and I are getting a convertable for his truck.  We rarely take his truck places, but in the off chance he may be taking the kid somewhere we need something for his vehicle. 

It is not easy getting an infant car seat in his truck so that is why we are going with a convertable.  The one we picked reclines for infants.

For my car however, the car we take almost everywhere, we are getting an infant carrier/ base. 

I don't think you are crazy, but do see the uses and needs for infant carriers.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think it is probably more a "waking a sleeping baby" issue than a safety issue.  I used to be able to run several errands in and out of the car while my dd slept away! 
  • I usually post on the Parenting board, but have been coming this past weekend checking out the 2nd tri board.

Anyway, most convertible carseats won't properly fit a newborn.  While they may fit the weight requirement, the straps more than likely won't fit properly.  When rear facing a baby's shoulders should be at or above the slot where the straps are threaded.

We had thought about doing this with our first son, but ended up buying a carrier carseat.  When I mentioned this at the hospital the nurse said that it was a good thing that we didn't because we wouldn't have been allowed to take him home in a convertible carseat, again because the fit wouldn't be correct for a newborn.

imageimage
  • Hey it's whatever you like remember that. ?It's not like these people will be taking care of your babies every day and it's an?inconvenience?to them. ?Heck if I was having twins I'd probably do the same thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The infant car seat was SO convenient, imo!  I converted her at 6 months and she was still in that stage of babyhood where she slept in the car a lot and it SUCKED waking her up EVERY TIME we got out of the car.  With her infant car seat I could keep her asleep if she was asleep and a lot of the time she would even stay passed out as we walked through the store or whatever.  She never would when I'd take her out of her 'big girl car seat'.  D:

But it's a choice everyone makes for themselves and their own personal experiences!  After you experience this, you might love it, you might hate it and decide w/ your next one you're going to do the infant car seat thing. Good luck!

• We didn't get one for our dd, and it was perfectly fine. We just went straight to the Britax Boulevard, and she is still in it. I think that it is not true that infant carriers are safer for infants, I think this is just a thought people have out there, unless the infant is below the minimum weight limit for the converitbles, which only really happens if they are preemies. We did a ton of research regarding safety and that's why we went w/ the blvd. Don't let the sales people pressure you into buying the infant carrier, the employee at The Right Start actually told me they are pretty much a waste of money, unless you really like to leave the baby in the carseat (which btw is not good for their head development and can lead to totricollis etc.)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For us the infant carrier was a lifesaver. I think when you are going somewhere and your kids fall asleep in the car and you are exhausted nothing is worse than waking them up to put them in the stroller.  Also if you are just going to someone's house you don't even need to bring a stroller because you can just carry the kids in which is what we did with DD all the time.  So IMO they are priceless and DD stayed in hers until 14 months but worse comes to worse you pass on it and then later decide to buy it.  We had a maxi cosi mico and honestly it wasn't that heavy.
  • FWIW, the incline on a convertable car seat and the incline in a carrier are not at all the same. We switched to a convertable car seat when my sone was 6 mo. and he was very uncomfortable, especially when sleeping.

I also can not agree more with the PP that said, you're willing to risk it now because you aren't sleep deprived. I can't even express how tired you are going to be, it's bad enough with one baby, I can't imagine two.

• I say there is no harm in trying it.  I didn't want an infant carrier either, but DH did (and since he's going to be SAHD for awhile, he wins).  I plan to wear LO when I go out, so I won't be using the infant carrier as it's intended to be used anyway...  I can't imagine carrying one carrier with a baby in it, let alone two... I say as long as the babies meet the weight limits, go for it!  If it doesn't work out for you, worst case you buy a few infant carriers, right?
  • I am a first time mom and I registered for a baby carrier (and travel system) as well as a convertable car seat for my husbands car.  I'll have both so I'll be covered...  I'm only 5 feet tall so I was also worried about the weight but I went to BRU and tried out a bunch for comfort. I also am getting a frame stroller for the infant seat so I don't have to lug around the big stroller for little errands.

It's 100% your decision and if you find that the convertables don't work for you then you can always go get 2 infant ones.

• I hated the infant carrier with DD and ended up not leaving it in the car more often than not.  They are heavy and bulky and the bigger baby gets the worse it gets.  I am purchasing a Sunshine Radian 80.  The minimum weight requirement is 5lbs and it goes to 35 lbs rear facing, then forward faces until 80 lbs.  I plan on wearing LO and I truly don't think that waking baby will be a problem.  From what I understand wearing baby is very reassuring to them and am hoping that LO will be apt to fall asleep in the sling/wrap!
  • imagenooniesgal:
    I think it is probably more a "waking a sleeping baby" issue than a safety issue.  I used to be able to run several errands in and out of the car while my dd slept away! 

This.  I would say the first time around the thing I most underestimated about having a baby was how big of a deal "sleep" would be.  If you hypothetically arrive at Target or the mall to run some errands you can certainly take them out of the carseat and transfer them to the stroller, but you might be left with two fussy babies who cry the entire time, whereas with the infant seat they might sleep through the whole shopping trip.  I would get two infant seats and a double snap and go and call it a day, but that is just me. 

• Picture this:

Going to a restaurant- you won't want a stroller.  You'll want seats to put in slings or on highchairs.

Dropping by someone's house- no stroller.  You'll want seats the babies can sleep in safely, on the floor.

Going to the grocery store- You're going to push a cart and a stroller?

Also- if you're visiting someone's house, you can easily put the babies to nap in their carriers.  It's a safe, comfy space to contain them, without lugging a damn stroller everywhere!  Think practically, take it from experienced moms.  It's for your convenience, and their safety.

• And I second the girl who said it's awful to wake the babies up when you take them from the carseat and put them in the stroller!  It's so much kinder (and sane, for you) to leave them asleep in the carriers!  They rarely wake on THAT transition!  And yes, the bigger carseats are just not a good incline for the little ones.  We switched to a rear-facing "big boy" seat when DS was 10 months old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"