Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

What's wrong with ultra pasteurized milk?

i know most organic milk is ultra pasteurized, is there anything wrong with that?

coming from the girl with chocolate cheerios, coco pebbles, and fruit loops in the pantry, lol. 

Re: What's wrong with ultra pasteurized milk?

• Options
    lol i dunno. but we have the same milk and lucky charms :)
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Options
    There is nothing "wrong" with ultra pasteurized milk aside from the fact that ultra pasteurization not only kills bacteria but also denatures, if you will, a significant amount of nutrients.  Maybe denature is not the right word, maybe kill is, but the point is that ultra pasteurized milk does not have much nutritional value compared to pasteurized and even less compared to nonpasteurized.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It tastes nasty? Really nasty?

It is good in that it kills all of the bacteria. It is bad in that it has a ridiculously long shelf life and has probably been sitting on a shelf for months. Old as in the milk was probably collected from a cow 6 months ago old. You can not use it to make cheese, yogurt, etc. It isn't that good to bake with either.

But it has no bacteria!

And it tastes nasty.

ETA: The bacteria removal also removes a lot of the nurtitional value.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options
    I've read that the pasteurization process causes milk to lose some of its nutrients, so it stands to reason that ultra pasteurized milk has less nutrients than just pasteurized milk. I haven't studied this in depth and I have no idea how much is lost or if it matters.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCelticWife:

It is good in that it kills all of the bacteria. It is bad in that it has a ridiculously long shelf life and has probably been sitting on a shelf for months. Old as in the milk was probably collected from a cow 6 months ago old. You can not use it to make cheese, yogurt, etc. It isn't that good to bake with either.

But it has no bacteria!

And it tastes nasty.

lol organic milk doesn't taste nasty. non-organic milk takes like vomit.

eta: and gramy isn't making her own yogurt and cheese ;)

13 galveston1

• Options
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:

But it has no bacteria!

And it tastes nasty.

Organic milk that has been pasturized in the more traditional way is 10x better then the ultra pasturized stuff. Straight up, organic, non-pasturized raw milk (from the farm) is 1000x better.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

• Options
    imageCelticWife:
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:

But it has no bacteria!

And it tastes nasty.

Organic milk that has been pasturized in the more traditional way is 10x better then the ultra pasturized stuff. Straight up, organic, non-pasturized raw milk (from the farm) is 1000x better.

omg i just threw up slightly. 

13 galveston1

• Options
    Tastewise, unpasteurized milk blows all the other right out of the water.  Too bad the FDA can't get its panties untwisted and and approve it, at least from controlled dairy farms.
  • Options
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:

But it has no bacteria!

And it tastes nasty.

Adamwife? Freud? Where is that raw milk lover when you need her?

• Options
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:

But it has no bacteria!

And it tastes nasty.

So you like fake "organic" food from the supermarket but not real organic food from the farm?

• Options
    imageCelticWife:
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:
    imagepunkfiction_v.3:
    imageCelticWife:

But it has no bacteria!

And it tastes nasty.

So you like fake "organic" food from the supermarket but not real organic food from the farm?

Child, it's futile!

• Options

I think pasteurized tastes better. I have noticed that Organic Valley is ultra pasteurized in the cardboard containers and just pasteurized in the plastic milk jugs.

So now we buy the gallon jugs because it tastes amazingly better. The ultra pasteurized crap tastes just like, well, crap.  And I only talk about Organic Valley because I love them and think that they taste the best :)

• Options
    lol why does it matter if someone prefers the taste of one milk to another? You're not living in their house.  
    imageimage
  • Options
    Horizon does sell milk that is just regularly pasteurized, but it is not as easy to find. Kroger only sells ultra, but Central Market here in Texas sells the regularly stuff. (CM also sells their own brand of regularly pasteurized organic milk)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"