Cincinnati Babies

How to build BM stash? And poop question?

With the latch issues and other issues we've had with BFing, I have basically been EPing BM for DS. I am serving what I pump, which has become tedious as each day drags on.

How do I go about building a stash of BM? I have been averaging about 1 oz out of each breast, since DS eats about 2 oz each feeding. I feel like all I do is pump, clean the pump parts, keep DS content (change diaper, etc) and try to nap.

And DS has been having trouble with moving his bowels today and last night. He has been trying to push whatever out, his face gets real red and he usually has a stinky fart. We called the pediatrician last night, and he said not to worry since he had a large soft bowel movement yesterday around 3 pm. However, I just hate to see him trying to push something out and not getting anywhere.

It's weird because he was pooping every 3-4 hours (about every feeding) and now he's gone so long without pooping. He is getting as much BM as possible, but we have had to give formula for a few feedings. I don't know if it's the switch between the two that is messing with him. But I just hate to see him dealing with this.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated! DH returns to work tomorrow, so I'm sure this week will be an interesting one!

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

Re: How to build BM stash? And poop question?

• Make sure you're eating enough!  Remember that each ounce of BM is 20 cals, and it has to come from somewhere.  Be sure to drink lots of water, eat plenty of protein, etc...  Oatmeal supposedly helps too.

Have you watched this video?  This really helped me along with all of the links on this site: 

https://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

Also, I pumped after a hot shower or used a heating pad.  Heat helps. 

As for the bowel movements, you might try bicycling his legs.  If you know he's hurting because he's backed up, taking a rectal temperature usually does the trick.  But I would only use that if you know he needs it because you don't want him to become dependent on it.  The switch between formula and EBM can affect bowel movements.  Also, once they get used to breastmilk, it is not unusual for babies to go a few days without a bowel movement. 

Good luck!!!  It really does get easier!

• imageMrs_D_in_KY:

With the latch issues and other issues we've had with BFing, I have basically been EPing BM for DS. I am serving what I pump, which has become tedious as each day drags on.

The hands-free pumping bra saved my sanity. My EP life also changed when I learned the "fridge trick" - you don't have to wash the parts after each session, just stick them in a big tupperware or ziploc bag and throw them in the fridge. I washed them twice a day. Not having to take that extra step after unhooking every time really made a difference.

It will get easier!

Also, what Kel said - make sure you're eating enough and are hydrated.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • It's so hard when you are home alone trying to take care of a baby, yourself and pump!  But like PPs said, it does get easier.  I EP in the beginning due to latch issues and then again at around ten months when DD refused to nurse (plus the months in between at work and after her last feeding to build a stash).  I drank a lot of Mother's Milk tea...it seemed to help a bit.  Heat really helped me so I would try to pump after a hot shower.

It also helped if I massaged my breasts for a minute before pumping.  And if I had someone around to help, I went into a room by myself and tried to relax before and while pumping.

Oh yes, and beer!  I didn't do it often but if my supply was a little low I would drink half a Guinness (or so) which helped.  Maybe because it relaxed me?

As far as the poop issue goes, bicycling always works with DD!  And right when you get used to something (like having them poop every so many hours) they change things up.  I've learned that's just the way it goes with babies!!

Hang in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • He did finally poop at 3 am. He was fussy and I checked his diaper, and there was a diaper full of poop.

And of course I had to wake DH up, since he was worried about  him pooping.

We get excited about poop in our house now. Stick out tongue

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• This probably won't help you now since he isn't nursing from you directly, but the way I started building my stash was to pump after she nursed at every feeding.  It was hard and tiring, but I am glad I did it.  It helped increase my milk production, and I have a good start going now for a stash.

I also had latch issues at first and wasn't able to freeze anything in the beginning.  Hang in there and good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"