Attachment Parenting

Sleepwalking

I posted a while back about DD sitting up in her sleep. I mentioned that she's done this several times a night, ever since she's been able to sit unassisted, so it's been about 10 or 11 months now. She also went through a phase of crawling and pulling up in her sleep, so I figured the sitting up was probably just working on milestones, as lots of children do, in her sleep. At this point though, I'm starting to become more and more convinced that she is sleepwalking (sort of a misnomer, but same idea). It almost always begins to happen right around when she's been asleep for 2 hours, which is what I've read happens when older children sleep walk. Lately, she's been sitting up and grabbing at things that aren't there and sometimes talking- using actual words, not just babbling. This is why I believe she is sleepwalking. Also, she's begun opening her eyes and looking around, but I know she's not seeing what's actually there.

I've read that it runs in the family. Neither DH nor I were sleepwalkers, but my mother and my brother both did as children.

Has anyone heard of or had experience with a sleepwalking toddler? She doesn't have any of the common sleepwalking triggers, like being overtired, not having a nightime routine, etc. But, it's getting to the point where it's happening every night. It doesn't seem to be affecting her days at all and it isn't hard to get her back down, but the frequency is starting to concern me, and of course, I'm reluctant to discuss anything sleep related with the pedi (we bedshare). Sometimes, she'll do it several times in 1 hour and sometimes just once, but again, it often happens multiple times throughout the night.

I laugh at the thought of ever getting more than a couple of hours sleep at one stretch again! Madness can be fun! Right?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"