Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Do you think this is true?

This is probably a better question for PAL, but I figured I'd try my luck.  I had lunch today with a friend of mine who has a 4 week old.  She said her advice was to take anything in the hospital that wasn't nailed down.  Take extra soothie pacifiers, take desitin, take wipes, etc.  It seemed like good advice to me, so I told DH when I got home and he said "yeah, until we get the hospital bill and they charge us for all the extra pacifiers and wipes that we took."  Do hospitals really do that?  Does my friend just not know because she hasn't seen the bill yet, or do they just not care?

Re: Do you think this is true?

• Options
    You are billed for everything in your room.  They claim that they throw out anything left in your bassinet even unopened.
  • Options
    I've heard lots of PALers say the same thing as your friend... one even had the nurse helping her raid the room. I doubt they got charged but don't know for sure..
    In memory of precious Julia, sweet baby James, and now Timmy who fought so hard.

Natural miscarriage - April 2009 ~ We love you, 'Blueberry'
    Lydia, born July 12, 2010
    Labor buddy to Kelly0615
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can imagine with so many labors in and out... that supplies gets pretty pricey.  I would think the hospitial will charge you for that.
  • Options
    Take everything.
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I guess it makes sense to take everything since I'm sure they won't reuse it. 
  • Options

they charge you whether or not you use it. I was in the hospital, not for a birth or anything but those whores charged me for tissues.

TISSUES.

take it all. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Labor Buddy to Blowfish11
  • Options
    I will take it all. I've been at my hospital for Dr. appts and I see ladies walking out with BAGS of stuff....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Don't be a gypsy. :) I only say this because they really do take everything that isn't nailed down.

Do not take blankets, pillows, baby blankets, etc.  Those are hospital property.  Anything that is opened and used (desitin, wipes, etc) will not be reused and you can take. 

• Options
    Everyone I know has said to take everything and I've never heard of anyone being charged.
  • Options

with DD the nurse came in to help me pack and she said to "take everything and that was not nailed down" her words....and that she would "stock up" my room before I left too, and to take it all...they charge you a ton for the stuff and a lot come in handy at home. I took like 6 bottles of that numbing spray for when you pee...that was a life saver!!

I didnt get charged any extra... 

• Options
    What do you mean charge you? My delivery/hospital stay is covered 100% is that not the case for some people and then they get an itemized bill? For me-i'm taking everything. My friends have also daid this.
    BFP#1 missed m/c-d&c 10/27/08, BFP#2 BO-natural m/c 5/15/09, BFP#3 8/12/09-DS born 4/2010, BFP#4=TWINS-missed m/c&d/c 6/15/11, BFP#4 11/22/11- please stay with me
  • Options
    take everything... they charge you regardless... and my sister didn't take stuff with kid number one... got charge anyway... by the third she took everything same bill.
  • Options
    I too have always been told take everything!!!
  • Options

imageJenyM:
    What do you mean charge you? My delivery/hospital stay is covered 100% is that not the case for some people and then they get an itemized bill? For me-i'm taking everything. My friends have also daid this.

Yes - DH and I have high deductible insurance ($5000 deductible) and we do get an itemized bill for every doctor's visit, every ultrasound, every blood work lab, every everything.  We still get adjusted prices for having insurance, but we pay a lot more out of pocket than most people.  Once we hit the deductible, 100% is covered, but we won't reach that until delivery day.  Having an itemized bill is kind of nice though - it lets me know how ridiuclous the overcharges are in health care.  Each one of my ultrasounds cost $360.  Even my "confirmation of pregnancy" urine test cost $50.  It's completely outrageous, and I don't think most people who don't get a bill realize it. 

• Options
    Yes, take the things they provide you. But, some people take the diapers and then ask for more. I am of the thought that you can take what they provide you, but don't abuse it. That is why healthcare costs are ridiculous.
  • Options

imagekimmie321:
    Yes, take the things they provide you. But, some people take the diapers and then ask for more. I am of the thought that you can take what they provide you, but don't abuse it. That is why healthcare costs are ridiculous.

Health care costs are ridiculous regardless. I also get itemized bills because we have such a high family deductable ($4000). My pre-natal bloodwork alone was over $1500. Insurance covered 80% and I cover the rest. Each ultrasound is billed at over $500. I can only imagine how much the NT Scan will cost since it's at an imaging center.

• Options
    Take it all. They put that stuff in your room with the intention of you using it and you're being billed for it, so take it. If they give you the pacifiers take them. They will just throw out what you leave there. Take the diapers, wipes, desitin, vaseline...all of it. My nurse even threw in a couple of receiving blankets and shirts. Take the pads undies, etc. My nurse was literally throwing things into my bag for me but was careful to tell me what I could and could not take. Anything given to you for baby is yours as well as the pads and mesh undies for you--the cleaning was about toss mine as I was leaving and then was like "Oh you probably want this!" So the answer is yes, take it. They did not itemize every little thing that I took. They will give you whatever baby needs--just don't go asking for 10 packs of diapers.
  • Options

imageitsMsAlbin:
    You are billed for everything in your room.  They claim that they throw out anything left in your bassinet even unopened.

This! With both of my DD's, the nurses told me themselves that everything in the bassinet is ours and to take it all home with us (ex: diapers, wipes, pacifiers, baby books, etc).

Proud Mama of 3 beautiful daughters and 1 amazing son - ages 8, 5, 3, and 1

1st m/c - 1/12/07 at 5 weeks 50 mg Clomid - BFP 8/22/09, 2nd m/c - 8/24/09 at 5 weeks 50 mg Clomid - BFP!!!! 11/16/09 EDD: 7/29/10
    TEAGAN ELIZABETH BORN JULY 14, 2010! 6 LBS 13 OZ AND 20 INCHES!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

50 mg Clomid - BFP!! 8/3/12, EDD: 4/14/13 Beta #1 at 11 DPO - 24. Spotting like crazy, OB thinks m/c #3 is imminent. Beta #2 at 21 DPO - 1,899!! u/s at 5 weeks 2 days showed a gestational sac measuring right on track! WOOHOO! PLEASE STICK, MY LITTLE MIRACLE!
    3/28/13 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAYSON JOSEPH! born at 37 weeks 4 days, 7 lbs 13.8 oz and 20 inches!

Lilypie - (GzVD)

• Options

seriously she is right. take it all.  i even took onsies and shirts they had him in to the the spray anesthetic stock they had in the bathroom cabinet for my hoohah. 

no extra charge.  well at least for us!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"