Breastfeeding
Options

getting all the milk from bag to bottle

I return to work tomorrow. I will be pumping for DD while she goes to daycare. I have a pretty good freezer stash so I'm not too worried about keeping up with demand/supply for the first few days. My concern, though, is how to get all the milk from the frozen bag into the bottles DD will drink from. Let me explain a little more--my original plan was to use the Medela bottles with my PISA to go straight from the pump to daughter, but DD has decided she won't drink from the Medela bottle--the nipple is too long from what I can tell. She will take a Breastflow bottle (much shorter nipple--more like me!). So, at work I'm going to have to pump into the Medela bottle, either store those bottles in the fridge or pour that pumped milk into a bag, which will also go into the fridge, then this milk will have to be transferred into the Breastflow bottles once I get home--what a hassle (DD#1 wasn't picky at all!). All the good fat always sticks to the frozen/thawed bag or Medeal bottle--can I very slightly "heat" the bottle/bag to get all that good fat to "melt" back into the milk before transferring the milk to the Breastflow bottle? Would just thawing at room temp be better or running under warm water for a few minutes? Should I just work on getting DD to eventually accept the Medela bottles.? I just didn't have these issues with DD#1...

Re: getting all the milk from bag to bottle

• Options

I pump into the Medela bottles (or the 2.5oz tubes) and when I get home I store it in a big Gerber bottle.

Before giving it to her, DH/Grandma/Nanny just swirls it a little so it will recombine.

If I know that I am going to store it soon, I will swirl it when I open the fridge a few times (giving any air bubbles time to settle)

If I need the milk NOW, I take a baby spoon and scrape the fat off the sides and mix back into the milk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"