Attachment Parenting

Overwelmed with Baby Carriers..

I know there is  a post every 5 minutes about baby carriers and what is the best to get and I appreciate you expert BW'ers answering. I think all of the reading I am doing is just confusing me more so I am hoping for some help.

My decisions I am trying to make right now are Mei Tei type carrier that ties or a carrier that buckles? What are so Pro's and Con's.

If I get a Tie carrier is BabyHawk to most popular?

If I get a buckle I am deciding between Beco and Pikkolo. Which is better and Why? I found a good comparison chart here but I still can't decide.

About me to help you out. DD is 2 months old, 12 ? lbs. We have been using Moby but it?s harder to use now unless she is sleeping. She likes to have her head out flailing around. I would love something easier to put on than the Moby just because she is fickle and changes her mind a lot (wants to be carried, wants out, etc.) and it is a pain having to re-wrap/adjust each time. Carrier will be used for around the house being active doing housework and also going shopping.

Go ahead ladies give me your thoughts pros and cons of types of carriers and what do you think is the best fit for us. Thanks so much for helping me sort this out!!!Big Smile

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: Overwelmed with Baby Carriers..

• I have both a mei tei that ties (Babyhawk) and one that buckles (Pikkolo).  The Babyhawk is more lightweight than the Pikkolo and is less stiff.  But it can be a pain to deal with the long straps.  The long straps can get twisted and dirty by dragging on the ground.  With that said, I prefer to wear my DD in the Babyhawk because it feels lighter.  But if I could only choose one of these carriers, I would have chosen the Pikkolo because my DH is never going to be comfortable using the Babyhawk because of the ties. 

I went back and forth between the Beco, Ergo and Pikkolo and chose the Pikkolo.  BTW, I relied on the comparison chart in the Portable Baby and was steered away from the Ergo but all of my friends love their Ergos so I'm not sure the comparison chart is completely unbiased and might be unfair towards the Ergo.  I chose the Pikkolo because I thought that the internal harness might be a pain to deal with.  Also the Pikkolo isn't made in China and is from a WAHM's company.  I think I might end up with a Beco when we move to back carries.  

• I think it totally depends on the baby.

For me, it was between the Pikkolo and the Beco.  While I think the Pikkolo would have been good for a lot of things, we needed a carrier exclusively for back carries (DD doesn't tolerate front carries) and the Beco was much better suited to that.  It's really easy to get on and off for back carries because baby and carrier are one unit (like a backpack) rather than the balancing act that's required of the Pikkolo.  If she tolerated front carries and were much smaller, I might have gone a different route, but for our situation, the Beco was a better choice. 

She also likes front facing carriers, which are available in the Pikkolo, but they aren't really good for your back after 15 pounds and she's approaching that (14.5 at the moment).  So that wasn't enough of a factor to make me want to switch to the Pikkolo.

I also have a mei tai (Babyhawk) that we use around the house all the time (back carries only).  Personally, I think if you are using it for around the house/ housework stuff, back carries are the way to go.  So much easier to bend over and get things done with baby on your back than on your front.  Last night I cleaned and vacuumed the entire house and made dinner, all with her hanging out back there chewing on her hands.  LOL.     

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"