Breastfeeding

Those who have pumped/are pumping to up supply

I was told to pump for 10 minutes after every feeding to help up my supply.  It is getting exhausting and difficult, as DD really prefers to be held, and I can't do that when I'm on the pump.  At what point is it OK to stop pumping after each feeding? If I pump, say, 3-4 times a day is that OK or will my supply go down?  I'm in a different situation as I had a breast reduction, so it's not a surprise my supply is low.  I'm committed to giving DD at least some BM (we are currently supplementing her with 8-10 oz. of formula daily), but I don't know that I can keep up this pumping schedule and stay sane.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Those who have pumped/are pumping to up supply

• I know it's hard to keep that up.  If you are going to cut down on pumping after each feeding, I suggest to pump every night after LO goes to bed for like 10 minutes on each side (even if nothing is coming out).  I am a SAHM so when I was doing this I would get up in the middle of the night as well for a pumping session.  I did this for like 2 weeks when DD was 6 months old and took fenugreek and everything went back to normal and still going well.  Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

BFP#3 12/09/12 - EDD 8/11/2013 - D&C @ 12w :: BFP #4 2/17/14 - EDD 10/28/2014 - M/C @ 6w

• I have had a low supply since the start.  My lactation consultant said to pump no less than 4x per day, with at least one overnight pumping session.  Have you tried the football hold with your LO?  So, feed the first side normally.  Then do the second side with the football hold and pump the first boob simulataneously.  Finally, you can hold your LO while you're pumping the second side.  I know it's a major PITA, and incredibly stressful, but it can be done.  This trick is best performed in your bed or somewhere else roomy and comfortable. 
  • Loading the player...
  • And invest in a pumping bra, it helps a ton!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"