3rd Trimester

Pregnancy and jury duty?

I got my (first ever) notice yesterday in the mail regarding jury duty. I filled out the form, as required, and will get a note from the doctor's office verifying my pregnancy. I am not opposed to performing jury duty, but really....not when I have to pee every fifteen minutes. I actually think it'd be kind of cool to do...just not NOW!

Not to be a wise guy, but they only give you a small space to fill out an answer to why you feel they should let you out of it or postpone your serving time to a later date. I started to write and didn't want to try to make corrections, so it came out "I am 30+ weeks pregnant. Frequent urination required." Embarrassed

Anyone ever get called while pregnant? Can you see any reason why they wouldn't postpone my serving until after LO is born? Besides being pregnant, I work for accountants and now isn't the greatest time for me to take days off from work....

TIA for any input/thoughts.

Re: Pregnancy and jury duty?

• Honestly, I'd rather do it now than after the baby comes.
  • pregnancy wont eliminate you from potentially having to go;  once you get there you can make your case again and you may get dismissed
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRunningMom:
    Honestly, I'd rather do it now than after the baby comes.

I can understand that but my mother will be here all summer to help, and where it asks you to indicate if you're asking for postponement or dismissal, I wrote that I can do it in June, July or after (I'm due in April and will already be back at work...after tax season).

• They won't make you do it. Even aftterwards, you could say that you are on maternity leave and you're breastfeeding and they're let you go. There are way too many other elgible people out there that they really don't care and you will be dismissed.
  • I got mine summons in the mail yesterday too. I'm due 2/13 and I am ordered to attend 2/22, yeah right! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, because even if I postpone it, I'm going to be a SAHM, who will take care of the baby, we have zero family around here (and DH has a job). I have to call them on Monday to figure out my options.

"Love is what makes pain bearable." - I love you my Angels. 
    **All After a Loss Welcome**
    BFP #1: 6/25/09 EDD 2/13/10 @ 6 weeks- Saw HB @ 9 weeks - DS born 2/11/10 (39w5d)
    BFP #2: 2/20/13 EDD 11/4/13 - Saw HB 3/19/13 (7w2d) - MMC discovered 4/13/13 (10w5d) - Est. loss @ 9w3d - D&C 4/14/13
    BFP #3: 12/19/13 (4 w1d) EDD 8/27/14 - 1/1/14 discovered it was ectopic/ tube had burst/ had surgery to remove tube (@ 6 weeks)
    BFP #4: 9/10/14 (3w6d) EDD 5/21/15 - natural MC 9/23/14 @ 5w5d
    BFP #5: 11/23/14 (3w3d) EDD 8/4/15 - Please be our Rainbow!

BabyFruit Ticker

• My mom was actually on a jury when she was pregnant with me for 2 weeks! It was a family suing a midwife because the baby died.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been called for jury duty every year for the last 3 years (2009 excluded). They probably won't want to deal with your constant need to pee. I doubt that you will get called up (your excuse is valid). Even if they do call you out, you probably won't get picked for a jury (statistical improbability compounded by the fact that it's likely neither attorney will want a pregnant woman on the jury). They will post pone it for you. You can usually also get it postponed again if you are the primary care giver to a minor without help (ie: no nanny or daycare).
  • imagenorcaljuly08:
    My mom was actually on a jury when she was pregnant with me for 2 weeks! It was a family suing a midwife because the baby died.

WOW....In so many ways, wow.

I'd actually like to serve, but not while pg. I can't imagine having to sit there and hold it in wondering if I'm going to be able to take a bathroom break before I freak out.

• i had to "post-pone" it when I had finals one year and haven't been called since.  they'll let you off then notify you only if your name randomly comes up again.  I like the answer you gave!
  • I just summoned for jury duty and I don't even live in the county anymore!

I would not mind jury duty at all, but not while pregnant. Unless they are cool with me having a snack every three hours, a drink with me at all times, and peeing every hour.

• imageCinnamonBun:

I just summoned for jury duty and I don't even live in the county anymore!

I would not mind jury duty at all, but not while pregnant. Unless they are cool with me having a snack every three hours, a drink with me at all times, and peeing every hour.

EXACTLY THIS! Big Smile

• I served while pregnant and it really was not that bad. They gave plenty of bathroom breaks and I was never uncomfortable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I was summoned during my last pregnancy, 3 years ago. Once I told them I was pregnant, but willing to postpone until the baby was about 3 months old, they were really cool and said they'd take my name off the list for that entire year. So far, I haven't been called back again.
  • I have to report for jury duty on Feb. 18, the day before my birthday :(  I'm actually not too concerned, I'm not really uncomfortable yet, but they'd better let me take my jug of water (I am always thirsty) and give me bathroom breaks!! I already postponed once because I had a vacation planned for the same time, so I don't think I have the choice to postpone again. FYI- when I postponed the first time, they rescheduled me only 5 weeks later, so make sure if you do postpone that they won't schedule you even closer to your EDD!

I'm wondering if I'll even get selected when I show up- I would think they wouldn't want a hormonal pregnant person who may have trouble thinking rationally in an emotional case :)  When DH got summoned last year he told me what questions they asked beforehand and I would've been eliminated because of two of them, so that is a possibility too. 

• I had jury duty when I 27 weeks and I informed them that I was pregnant and was dismissed. I wrote a note on the back of the juror card we were given and the judge dismissed it.
  • I actually went 3 weeks ago.  I wasn't chosen, but (in TX at least) pregnancy is not a valid reason to postpone (unless you are on bedrest).  I would just go.  Most lawyers aren't going to want you when you are obviously advanced in your pregnancy.
  • imagenorcaljuly08:
    My mom was actually on a jury when she was pregnant with me for 2 weeks! It was a family suing a midwife because the baby died.

Whoa. Major conflict with that. The attorneys failed while picking her.

I would go. I am sure the attorneys wont want a pregnant person on the panel.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"