Preemies

34w4d, in early stages of preterm labor...

Hi. I posted below about my experience last night. Apparently the terbutaline did not stop my contractions (or they started up again). I've been told to watch for further signs of preterm labor, and that I am likely having this baby sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have any experience with 34/35w preemies? What is likely to happen if DD arrives in the next couple of weeks? I realize it's fairly late for a preemie, is she still looking at a NICU stay? and what kind of issues will we face right away?

I know that long-term is probably fine, but I'm really scared right now about what might happen in the next week or two. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh, and can anyone tell me why they won't stop labor at 35weeks? it seems way too early for DD to be born - is this the standard policy?

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness

Re: 34w4d, in early stages of preterm labor...

• DS was born at 34w5d and they didn't try anything at all to stop my labor. I was fully effaced already so nothing would have really helped. Plus, it ended up that I had a partial placental abruption so keeping him in would have been bad for him. (We'd had a completely normal pg up til the day I went into labor.)

When he was first born, he had breathing issues, so he ended up on CPAP with some oxygen, and was intubated the 2nd night. He came off the vent completely on day 6 and then was in the NICU for 9 more days learning to eat and dealing with jaundice. Basically, there were 5 days where we thought we might lose him. After he was done with the vent, it was 'smooth' sailing from there. He has no real issues now, at least none that have surfaced yet.

Hang in there - there's a lot of variance in how much NICU time a 34/35 weeker needs (if any!). Most do very well but prepare yourself that you might not get to hold your DD for a while. (They started working on DS right when he came out and I got to hold him for 5 sec for a picture right before they took him down to the NICU. We didn't get to hold him again until day 6.)

• I just read your post below and wanted to share some more advice. If you're having a lot of pain again, just go to L&D. Kudos for you for already getting things checked out, but seriously, trust your instinct and just go in if you're feeling like the contrax are really coming again. I waited and waited (had been having pain for more than one day but it wasn't timeable contrax) and then finally ended up driving myself into the hospital at 3am. Just listen to your body and go if you think you should; always better safe than sorry!
  • Loading the player...
  • My daugther was born at 34w1d and is now a perfectly happy, healthy 2yo.  She was in the NICU for 13 days, but it was mainly due to her developing the suck/swallow/breathe reflex so she could properly eat.  I am somewhat surprised to hear that they would try to stop the labor now.  I am with a high risk OB in addition to my regular OB, did and will deliver at a major hospital and the policy is that they do not stop labor once you are 34 weeks.  The reason for this is because they do not see the need since 34 weekers and beyond generally do great.  Also, if it makes you feel better, I am 36w with #2 and my high risk OB told me at my 34w appt that he wouldn't have any great concerns if I delivered from that point on.  Good luck and please keep us posted.  The ladies on here are so incredibly helpful.
  • I had my son at 34 weeks 6 days...  My water broke at home that morning, so there was no stopping it.  Up until that day my pregnancy had been "perfect" so there was no "reason" why it happened.

DS had to stay in the NICU a total of 12 days.  When he was born I got to hold him for just a couple minutes, to get a couple pictures and then the nurses took him.  There really was nothing life threatening with him thankfully, he just had to learn how to suck, swallow and breathe.  They put a nasal canula in with oxygen, but it was just room flow oxygen - to help keep his lungs open, he never had to be intubated.  He also had a feeding tube for about 2.5 days and then he took from the bottle on the first try.  We luckily were able to hold him every time we went to the NICU.   Otherwise he had jaundice off and on again most of the stay, still was a little yellow when we brought him home, but it quickly went away. 

Try and stay positive, even if your DD arrives now, she likely won't have any major problems, but will most likely need some NICU stay as the  suck, swallow, breathe isn't fully developed yet.  she'll just need some extra time to mature.  And I was told that boys (white boys, more spicificaly) are usually slower and lazier so maybe you will get even luckier than we did = )

Just remember that if she does have to stay in the NICU - she is here early, you still wouldn't have had her home yet if she was to stay till full term.  

Good luck!!!!

• My water broke at 35w4d so there was no stopping it.  I delivered my daughter 12 hours later.

I don't post much on the preemie board because even though my DD is technically a preemie, she came home with me from the hospital.  She had no NICU time and roomed with DH and I the whole time in the hospital.  We were held an extra day because she was born on a holiday weekend and had a little jaundice.  The hospital pediatrician wanted to talk to our pediatrician on the phone before we were discharged - so he kept us until Monday and gave DD some photo-therapy as a precaution.

Our daughter has been amazing.  She has had no issues whatsoever and is now a thriving almost 7 month old. 

I honestly attribute her health to betamethezone shots that I was given at 30 weeks pregnant.  I had a short/funneled cervix for the majority of my pregnancy (discoverd at 22 weeks and by 30 weeks my cervix was only 1.7cm and funneled) and was monitored heavily.  They gave me shots as a precaution and I am SO HAPPY they did.  I have no idea if that is an option at your gestation but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Good luck!

• Thank you all for the answers. I feel like I'm in a bit of a whirlwind here. Until yesterday when DD slowed down, I had had a perfect pregnancy, and now I have no idea - I could have a baby tomorrow, or I could still be pregnant a month from now.

When they discharged me last night, they sent me home with a list of things to watch out for. I'm pretty sure I'm still contracting - I feel achy and my belly gets very hard every few minutes, but baby is moving better today and I haven't had any of the super-painful contractions in a few hours. Anyway, I will call or go in if anything at all changes, and I'll ask about the steriods for the lungs whenever I next see the OB -hopefully, not until my appt later this week.

I appreciate all of your information and experiences. Your LOs are all adorable and look great so that gives me hope. Thank you.

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Hi,

I don't know why they don't stop labor at 35 weeks but I can tell you that I had my son at 34w1d and he was in great shape. He did stay in the NICU one extra day for jaundice and they had him under the lights but he never had any suck swallow issues or breathing issues at all. He was 5lbs 7oz and gorgeous! Still is! I think our situation was a little unususal but  I know babies born at that age usually do very well.

I am sure you are super stressed out but try to relax a little, sounds like you are in good hands.

Good luck!

• I went into PTL at 29 weeks and luckily had the foresight to get to the hospital. I spent 3 weeks on hospital bedrest and 3 more weeks at home on strict bedrest. I was on numerous medications over that time period.

I was told at 34 weeks that they would not stop my labor. For one, they had already been trying to stop it for 5 weeks. Also, 34 weekers tend to act like full term babies. 35 weekers can often go home with no NICU time.

If you've had the shots (I can't remember), then your chances at little NICU time is excellent.

My DD was born at 35 weeks. She spent 8 days in the NICU because her lungs were still struggling, even though she had steroids. She spent half the time working on breathing, including being on a breathing machine, nasal canula, and an oxygen hood. The other half was spent getting "up to speed" with eating. She had quite a bit of trouble with this and needed a feeding tube. Other things she encountered were jaundice, IVs in her bellybutton, low blood sugar, and managing her own weight.

Two things that were ridiculously hard for me were leaving her at the hospital when I got discharged and not being able to hold her for 5 days. I know many women here encounter much worse circumstances, but having a baby in the NICU is difficult regardless.

Good luck! Keep us posted!?

• Julia, I would recommend calling about the steroid shots tomorrow.  Like I said, I have no idea how late in pregnancy they give them, but if they do agree you have to have 2 shots 24 hours apart and you need the full 48 hours for effectiveness.  So it isn't something you can do at the last minute if your water breaks or if you go into full blown labor.

Good luck!  I hope you stay pregnant for several more weeks!

• HI-

I pPROMed at 34w4d and did not go into labor. I was induced starting at 35w3d and DD was born the following day. She had no issues- she stayed in the SCN at the hospital for 4 days for observation but had no issues beyond not being able to BF until she was already used to bottles (please see exclusive pumper badge). If your goal is to BF I suggest that you ask the hospital not to use bottles and instead to finger/cup feed or use a syringe after your LO is born if he/she is unable to BF right away. Best of luck--your LO is at a great point.

Oh- and I couldn't get the steroid shots. They are only given under 34 weeks.

• Feeding is definitely an issue.

We finger-fed our baby my collostrum through a syringe for the first few days.  She would not latch and was very drowsy.  No LCs were on duty because it was July 4th weekend so I was on my own a little bit (which was one of the most stressful parts of my hospital stay).

Finally, on day 3 one of the nurses brought me a nipple shield.  I know they aren't loved in the breast feeding community, but the shield gave my baby enough to latch on to.  And viola!  I had a nursing baby!  It was truly a miracle for us.  My girlfriend (the mother of a 34 weeker) visited once we got home and said that she felt horrible she hadn't called me about the nipple shield.  Apparently that is what worked for her son too :).  So don't be afraid to ask for that and give it a shot.  My baby was "on the shield" for about 6 weeks and hasn't needed it since.  No nipple confusion, she gained weight great, and most importantly - she was nursing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"