Pregnant after 35

Amnio scary and painful?

I just posted this on the first tri board, but I am thinking maybe you ladies would know more.

I am 9 weeks, one day today.  I am going for an NT scan at 11 weeks, 6 days.  Then we will meet with a genetic counselor.  Then we may do the amnio at 20 weeks.  (I am leaning toward NOT doing the cvs test.)

How does this sound to you?  (We have no reason to worry about problems with the baby, except for the fact that I am 39.)

Is the amnio procedure scary and painful?  I am pretty freaked out by the idea.

TIA

Re: Amnio scary and painful?

• Hi there...I have had 2 amnios - one for each PG. It is a very quick and simple procedure. I  think in total including the U/S at the beginning maybe 30min total. It is not very painful at all, the most uncomfortable is when the needle is first inserted because it go through so many layers of skin, fat, muscle. But it really isn't that bad - and I HATE needles.

If you have cause for concern from earlier tests - make sure to ask for FISH test - this will give you results of Chromosone count within 24/48 hrs. Then you get the full results in 10-14days.

Also, I had both of my amnios at 16 weeks, is there a reason you wanted to  wait until 20weeks? If there is cause for concern they like to do the amnio earlier rather then later.

Feel free to page me if you have more questions!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsKLS:

Also, I had both of my amnios at 16 weeks, is there a reason you wanted to  wait until 20weeks? If there is cause for concern they like to do the amnio earlier rather then later.

Feel free to page me if you have more questions!!!

My error.  The prescription is for another ultrasound and possible amnio at 16 weeks.  I said 20 by mistake.

Thanks for your reply!  It was very helpful.

• Loading the player...
  • I had mine at 15 weeks, It was a simple and quick procedure, I only felt a quick pinch when the needle inserted.  I never even looked at the needle so it didn't scare me.  We needed to have ours due to a 1/16 chance for downs. My only scared moment was when I found that out.  Our results came back with good news, and the weight on my shoulders was lifted. We found out the sex of our baby early and now have a healthy baby girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't worry it unless your NT #'s suggest an amnio might be needed. And, even then, I'd try not to worry. Like PP said, it's a simple procedure.
  • scary, yes. painful, no. I was so terrified that when the nurse walked in she said 'how are you?' and when I replied 'terrified' she said, 'oh, you've never had an amnio before.'

It turns out there was no need for me to be so scared. It pinched for about a second as the needle went through the skin, and then didn't hurt. My blood draw for the GD test hurt more.

And, we got 100% confirmation that DD is chromosonally normal and, well, a dd. I'm so glad we did it. No regrets at all.

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • I was scared (anxious) to get it done.  It was not painful at all.  I felt a small pinch and minor cramping.   The procedure in all is about 30 minutes.  The prep part seems to be the longest.  The actual procedure is about 5 minutes long.  I was more scared during the "recovery" period more than doing the test itself.  I'm still waiting for my FISH results.  

• I had an abdominal CVS at 13w5d and it was cake. I am guessing the amnio would not be much diff. Depending on where the placenta is you could have the CVS abdominally. I had previous losses so I was nervous about a traditional CVS. The fear of not knowing if my baby was ok was more than I could handle and the peace of mind-well worth the 1 sec of cramping for that needle. GL.
  • Amnio is painless just ask the dr.'s history. Do not look at the needle.
  • we had the amnio at 15 or 16wks cuz the stupid nurse read my NT results wrong and by them I just wasnt trusting anyone.  With my first they read the results correctly and we were happy w/them so we didnt do the amnio;  why not wait until your NT, get the results and then decide.  I was 3/38 w/DD and this one I'm 39/40.  I found the amnio to be very painful (others on the board said it wasnt that bad for them).  I wish I didnt have to have it done but w/wrong test results I just wanted a definite answer.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I could very well be the worlds biggest "chicken".  I was totally freaked out and scared to death.  I even had our genetics counselor tell them to leave the tray of "instruments" out of the room and out of my sight during the ultrasound, so I couldn't see them.  When it came time, the dimmed the lights, I put in my iPod (so I couldn't hear anything), and closed my eyes.  I had a cough at the time, so I also sucked on a piece of hard candy (God forbid I cough with a huge needle sticking out of me).  I barely felt the needle and that was it.  It didn't hurt and wasn't uncomfortable at all.  I basically felt nothing.  When it was over, they took everything out of the room, told me they were done and that I could open my eyes.  All I saw was the vile of liquid because I had to make sure the label was correct (name and all).  I felt sort of silly in the end, but I bet I'd do the exact same the next time, too.  Plus, the amout of weight that was lifted after we got our results was well worth it.  I never once worried about anything again. You'll be fine, good luck.  I was also 38 at the time.
  • These are great comments on this subject. I am scheduled for my amnio on 2/18, I am 45 and this is my first pregancy. I was a little scared but after reading your comments I am much more at ease.
  • I just had one and just posted above about the experience. It was not bad at all. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"