Babies: 0 - 3 Months

dr ferber vs. babywise

Whats better for getting babies to sleep thru the night?

Re: dr ferber vs. babywise

• ferber isn't for babies under 5 months old.  it worked for us but we didn't even consider sleep training till DD1 was 10 months old.  babywise is total crap.
  • You're asking for future reference, right?
  • Loading the player...
  • yes, im having twins next month and was wondering since i hear so many different reviews.
  • We used Ferber but did not do this until 5 months. Please DO NOT do it any sooner than that. It worked wonders and he now sleeps 12 hours. 

Babywise is not a sleep training book. It is a scheduling book. Some people swear by it, others say it is bad for your child. I dont have an opinion. 

• Babywise has worked wonderfully for LO! Before babywise LO was doing a LOT of snacking, and there for would only sleep 30min between feedings eat for 5 min on each side, be awake for 30min, sleep 30min and repeat. It was exhausting! Now she sleeps at least 4 hours at night, then eats and sleeps for another 3 hours. We just hit 6 weeks where I don't need to wake her after 5 hours between feedings, so I'll let you know how it works out. But I think Babywise has some really good tips, and it has worked not only for me, but for my best friend as well. Her daughter STTN at 7 weeks due to babywise!

It doesn't work for every baby, but we've had success.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh and babywise is not about strict schedules. Some people will adapt one, but it's about having a flexible routine so baby can anticipate what's going to happen next in their day. That doesn't necessarily mean you do things at the exact same time everyday, but in a similar order so baby is comfortable and secure in what is happening next. If nothing else read it and do what works for you. I don't follow it strictly, but I do find that days where were more in the routine LO gets better feedings, longer naps, and better night time sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm following Babywise after seeing my best friend use it with all three of her kids. Even after the first day for my LO her sleeping and fussiness improved. This weeks she's slept through the night several days. Nine hours last night and I'm starting to feel like myself again instead of a sleep deprived mess. I will be discussing with her Pedi at our appoinment next week to make sure sleeping that much is okay. There were a few nights she woke up and wanted to eat, but she went right back to sleep after eating. It's working for us.
    siggy should be here!
  • I like "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", my pedi's office also recommends this book.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would look into No Cry Sleep Solution.  Babies don't usually STTN until they are older, like 4-6 mos.  When they are 2-4 mos, STTN is usually around 5 hours.  The reason I don't recommend scheduling too closely or even routines is that I wasn't paying enough attention to DS' needs.

I had him on the eat, awake, sleep routine.  At his bed time he got super fussy, crying and it would take me over an hour to get him to sleep.  After a couple of weeks, I realized he was crying cause he was hungry again!

Now at bedtime we do eat, awake, eat again and sleep.  Now it takes him only 20 min to sleep and he doesn't cry.  So I think any book is good, but most importantly is for you to be flexible and responsive to your child.  GL!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imageavbliss:
    Oh and babywise is not about strict schedules. Some people will adapt one, but it's about having a flexible routine so baby can anticipate what's going to happen next in their day. That doesn't necessarily mean you do things at the exact same time everyday, but in a similar order so baby is comfortable and secure in what is happening next. If nothing else read it and do what works for you. I don't follow it strictly, but I do find that days where were more in the routine LO gets better feedings, longer naps, and better night time sleep.

This exactly! We loosely follow Babywise and we have a good routine down, which does help with sleeping at night, as well as naps, feedings, etc. 

• imageLaurenVal:
    yes, im having twins next month and was wondering since i hear so many different reviews.

With a multiple gestation birth, chances are pretty good that you'll be having them early, and they will likely be smaller than average singleton babies.  If this is the case, you may end up having to wake them during the night for several weeks/months so you can make sure they're getting enough calories during a 24 hour period.  I'm still doing this with my little one.

I wouldn't count on getting them to STTN for awhile, yet.

And as far as the future reference post goes, she's right... I'm hoping this question is for (far) future reference (not to start putting something in place next month)... sleep training methods are generally not recommended, and almost all are completely inappropriate until babies are around 4-6 months old (adjusted age if your babies are preemies). 

• image12bailey18:

imageavbliss:
    Oh and babywise is not about strict schedules. Some people will adapt one, but it's about having a flexible routine so baby can anticipate what's going to happen next in their day. That doesn't necessarily mean you do things at the exact same time everyday, but in a similar order so baby is comfortable and secure in what is happening next. If nothing else read it and do what works for you. I don't follow it strictly, but I do find that days where were more in the routine LO gets better feedings, longer naps, and better night time sleep.

This exactly! We loosely follow Babywise and we have a good routine down, which does help with sleeping at night, as well as naps, feedings, etc. 

I also use Babywise and have had my LO STTN since 8 weeks. I didn't start Babywise until 5 weeks, but once I talked to a friend I started it and it has worked wonders! 

My friend has twins and her girls were STTN at 7 1/2 weeks. Once they were up to birth weight she started using it. GL :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"