Single Parents

?? If you're divorced.

My friend's contemplating divorce and has been talking to me about it. One thing holding her back is that she has no idea how much it costs. We've been looking online and can't find anything (just the do it yourself divorces for $300). I know it probably varies state to state, but can you give me an idea of how much your divorce cost? 

Re: ?? If you're divorced.

• My parents are most likely going to get a divorce.

Just to get him served is 1500 off the bat. And it only keeps on adding more and more, especially if it's a long and drawn out divorce on who gets what and such things.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am in the process. My lawyer charged a $1500 retainer. He thinks that since my divorce is fairly straightforward that that *should* cover everything, but he can't promise anything. He charges $150/hr after the retainer runs out.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Loading the player...
  • Cost will vary depending on where you live.  I am not fully divorced yet but I am looking somewhere at $20,000.  Thats at $350 an hour and I also put down a $3500 retainer.  In California you can have the $300 from the filing of the divorce waived if you have no income.

• imageMominator:
    I am in the process. My lawyer charged a $1500 retainer. He thinks that since my divorce is fairly straightforward that that *should* cover everything, but he can't promise anything. He charges $150/hr after the retainer runs out.

Exactly this.  But even if it was a million dollars an hour, nothing would have stopped me once I knew I wanted out. 

OK, well maybe that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.  And also, my attorney let me pay the retainer in 3 installments, and depending on how much my final bill is, she makes payment arrangements if needed for that too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I also paid $1500 for the retainer. My lawyer was $350/hour. We had an easy divorce. I kept the house. We did not divide our 401(k)s. We did not argue about anything regarding the divorce. I spent $5000 total.

We could have used a mediator, which is much cheaper. I just didn't want someone working for the both of us instead of just me. I was afraid XH would try to go for some of the equity in the house or realize that my 401(k) was much larger than his.

• I have been calling around.

The only lawyer I've been able to get in contact with wants $675 up front, and that includes 5 hours. Anything beyond 5 hours would be $110 an hour.

Though I won't be using her. I'm not sure how much it's going to cost, I'm currently unemployed with no transportation so it could be a while!

• I was lucky.  I spent less than $1000, and had a great outcome.  But my lawyer isn't listed in the phonebook; a co-worker recommended him.  It might take some leg-work to find a cheaper lawyer, but they are out there.

• My divorce cost less than $500 but we did everything ourselves.  Does your friend have children?  If so the $$ estimate can be endless.  Just depends if they can agree or have to go to court a bunch of times.
  • We were told if we basically agree on everything and the lawyer doesn't have to go back and forth it would be around $1500 for the initial fees and time to do all the paperwork. 
  • $3,500 to retain my lawyer and then I am already owing him an additional $300.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"