Attachment Parenting
Options

sleep help for a mobile baby please

My DS sleeps really well and using the NCSS was really working for us.  So much so he even slept over 10 hours without waking up a few times.  But he just in the past week started crawling and cruising all over the place.  I used to hear him wake up, talk to himself, and fall back to sleep on his own and now the second he wakes up he rolls onto his belly and starts crawling around so I have to go and get him every time he wakes up.  Also, I am having troubles putting him back down.  I have to nurse him and then hold him until he is sound asleep.  I used to be able to pat him to sleep while he laid there but now if he is awake at all he rolls over and starts crawling.  I am hoping this is just a phase but if anyone has any helpful advice I'd love it.  TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: sleep help for a mobile baby please

• Options
    From my experience, you kinda have to start the NCSS plan all over again.  When DS wakes up in the night, he goes straight to standing and starts crying.  We pick him up and try to rock him to sleep. If he continues to fuss, I nurse.  I am still working on the sucking to sleep association.  I feel like I take 1 step forward 2 steps back, he was doing well until he caught a cold so we're back at square 1.  I'm interested to see what success others have experienced... I just can't imagine my LO putting himself to sleep anytime soon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The first thing I would try is to make sure he's totally safe where he is (crib or low mattress in child-proof room) and then don't go in when he starts crawling around.  It may be that he'll do a little crawling and then fall back asleep if left alone.  The rule in my house is that a quiet child (or a child who is happily singing to himself) is functionally the same as a sleeping child.  If they don't yell for us, it is okay for us to leave them alone.

If he's getting into trouble, or he's unhappy, that changes things, but I'd encourage you to try patting him once or twice and walking away while he's still awake if you can.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    UGH!!!  I am with you!!  I had a good sleeper until this crawling business started....Hopefully the little ones will figure out how to crawl to dreamland soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"