Working Moms

Talk me out of guilt

I only have 1 more paid day off until summer.  I want to use it when my mom and niece are here in a month but I feel guilty about having to work on DS' first birthday.  I get off at 3 so Ill have the late afternoon and he isnt 1 until 4:04pm but I feel this stupid mommy guilty for not spending the whole day with him.

DH says we should take this year as a free pass since he wont remember it anyways and spend the day with him next year on.  Thats true I guess.

Anyone else work on their LO's birthday? 

Re: Talk me out of guilt

• If it helps, your DD can't tell time.  :)

I'll have to work on this baby's birthday every year, probably.  Not only is it during the school year, but it's at the height of basketball season, so I'm never ever home. 

But, I'm also the kind of girl who schedules cheerleading camp during my wedding anniversary.  It's no big deal to celebrate a day early or late or whatnot.

• Don't feel guilty!  Your LO certainly won't know the difference between his birthday or any other day at this point.  Celebrate the weekend before or after.  Your mom and niece however will certainly appreciate you taking the day off to spend together.

So far DD's 1st and 2nd birthday have been on a Sat and Sun, but her 2nd birthday party was the day before her birthday and I got called into work that morning until about 30 min. before the party.  It happens.  If it falls on a Monday next year I'm sure we'll do something special the day before rather than skip work and school.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm lucky that her birthday falls on a Saturday this year so I don't have to worry about it!
  • I had to work on DS's first two bdays.  This will be the first year DH and I have the day off because it is a Friday. 

Looking back, it was truly not a big deal for his first because he did not know. It was sad for me because I had to attend a mandatory meeting I did not get anything out of and it was a waste of time.  I would have spent the day with DS instead. This is the first year he has been excited about his birthday so I am glad we can get to spend it together.

You can send him on a b-day shirt to daycare so he gets his special day.  Last year I sent cookies for snack time and they sang Happy Birthday to him.

• My son's birthdays have been a Sunday and Labor Day so far, so I've been home.  But it's just a day on the calendar, and your child has no idea it's even his birthday.  It would not even occur to me to take the day off for his birthday.

I will be working on my child's birthday this year and probably every year it's not on a weekend or holiday.

• I guess I don't understand why you have guilt.  Your LO gets to go to school and play with his friends, take a good nap, and have all afternoon with you.  Is there really a better way to spend a birthday than with your friends and family?

For the past two years I haven't taken-off the entire day for dd's birthday, but I have taken off after nap time so we could go play in the park.  She has played with her friends, all her friends made her a birthday card, got a great nap, and came home and played with her parents.  Right now she still doesn't understand it is her birthday, she just knows that she got to have a full day playing.

• I don't remember my mom ever taking off work for my birthday.  I don't think it's odd to go to work that day. 
  • I've never thought about taking off for DS's birthday. As a matter of fact, I think he'd be bummed not to celebrate it with his buddies at daycare.
  • I haven't taken the day off to spend the boys' birthday with them.  So far we've had dinner (this year they got to choose their special birthday dinner) then cupcakes with candles on the actual day.  Their extended family party has always been the weekend following.

Even when your LO is old enough to know it's the big day, I don't think he will mind.  Birthdays were a big deal at the day care when my boys went.  I don't think your LO would want to miss that!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"