Upstate NY Babies

Don't know if I agree

I'm reading "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" and it's pretty good. However, I don't know if I agree with his thoughts on teething-he says that teething does not cause night wakings-that night wakings are caused by sleep deprivation and teething does not increase the number of times a child wakes overnight.

DD has a pretty regular sleep schedule-sleeps 12hrs overnight (up 1-2x to eat) and takes 2 naps totalling about 2-3 hours. Since her tooth has started to come through mid-week, she has been up 4-5times overnight. I have to assume it's her teeth because she's healthy as a horse otherwise. What do you think....did your LO wake up more overnight while teething?

Re: Don't know if I agree

• I read that book and all it did was make me realize my kid doesn't get enough sleep.  But I was confused - how do you get them to sleep more.  She won't go down for the night until late - like midnight.  Is she still too young to CIO?  Bc that is kinda what I thought he was suggesting - just leave them in there until morning. 
  • I do like the thing he said about not keeping them up in  order to see them at night.  This hit home for me bc on nights that I work until 9, once she does start going to bed before that it will be hard on me.  But I will remind myself of his quote that I would never make her wait to eat dinner if she was hungry, so why make her wait for sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • I always wonder if Weissbluth has kids, because some of his advice is so harsh.  I definitely think teething can cause night wakings.  It's basically a toothache, and I know that it hurts when I get them, so I can only imagine what it's like for a baby. 

Have you tried Motrin?  That always helped when Rosie was waking up with teething.

• I think it causes night wakings too. Evan cut his first tooth on Christmas day, and the whole week prior he was not sleeping or napping well. After it came in he was back to his normal sleep.

I haven't read the book though.

• I HATED that book.. It definitely makes you feel bad that your kid does not get enough sleep but it is not clear at ALL how to help them. I felt like it was all a bunch of pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo and not at all easy to understand.. I never knew if my kid was post-colic or colicky or whatever.. All I knew is she used to sleep and now she didn't..

And I totally disagree about the teething thing too.. Eve has been STTN for awhile.. but when her two top teeth were coming in she would wake up in the middle of the night and just lay in her crib and SCREAM.. it was was like she didn't know why she was awake but she was and it hurt and she was MAD. She also wakes up earlier in the mornings when she was teething.

Honestly, the only book I felt worth reading was Ferber.. We didn't even do Ferber "by the book" but it had a lot of useful information and it explained things in an easy to understand way..

Melissa & Jeff 5-27-06
    m/c 1/2/08 and 3/12/08
    Eve Amelia- Born 2/24/09. 6lb 9.9oz
    Natalie Ruth - Born 6/13/11 7lb 6.6oz
    imagebabies
    baby growth
  • imageolivia_eve:

I always wonder if Weissbluth has kids, because some of his advice is so harsh.  I definitely think teething can cause night wakings.  It's basically a toothache, and I know that it hurts when I get them, so I can only imagine what it's like for a baby. 

Have you tried Motrin?  That always helped when Rosie was waking up with teething.

I agree with this.  Zoey has definitely had sleep issues during teething, and Motrin has been a livesaver. 

I also agree with Melissa about Ferber's book.  It's definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet. 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I was sure that Evan wasn't overtired or hungry....we used motrin too. After he was sleep trained - if he was up in the middle of the night, we knew it was for a reason. So we would give him Motrin and a small bottle to comfort and relax him...and give time for the Motrin to kick in.

I never read that book. For every book you get 50% of people that love it and 50% of people that hate it. I guess you just take in all the information and make a choice on what is the best for your family. We kind-of did a ferber variation where I really paid attention to his cries...and would keep him on a schedule so I knew it was naptime and ok to let him cry for longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"