Houston Babies

WWYD-Traveling with an infant

DH and I are planning to take a trip to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in April for a friend's wedding.  We are planning to take Alexandra but as April is quickly approaching, I am getting more nervous.  She will be around 4 1/2 months by the time we go. The wedding is taking place at an all inclusive resort for families so I think it may be the perfect opportunity to try a first family trip.  I am just nervous about her getting sick from the plane ride or from the water.  Any tips from those of you who have traveled with an infant?  Should I not risk it and just pass on the trip (DH has to go).

Also, I am not sure how much "gear" we'd need to bring.  I was thinking definitely the stroller and carseat and our little snuggle nest cosleeper.  I should still be BF, but I am sure I'll want to have some cocktails during the trip so can I bring frozen milk on the plane....or maybe bring my pump to use while we are there?  So many questions.....

Thanks!!

Re: WWYD-Traveling with an infant

• That is actually a good age to travel with an infant.  DD has been on 3 flights and the one around that age was the best b/c she slept most of it.  Does the place have a crib you can rent?  That might be easier than taking the cosleeper.  I would bring your pump but not any frozen but you can bring it on the plane if you really want to bring some.  If you are worried about the water buy some bottled water when you get there.  Do you use a sling or other type of infant carrier?  If so I would bring that too.  At that age they don't need much more than the basics when you travel.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with Bin.

Why would she get sick from the water? She's not going to be drinking any of it.

I would take the pump and not any frozen BM.

If she sleeps great in the snugglenest, I'd take it if you have room. I don't think that moving a co-sleeping baby to a hotel crib or PNP is a good idea just because she probably won't sleep as well.

I'm not sure if you'll need the carseat or not. I know a lot of taxis in other countries don't even have seatbelts in the back, and most shuttle buses don't either. But maybe someone who has been to Puerto Vallarta can tell you if you'll need it. I wouldn't take it just for the plane ride, I'd just plan on holding her.

- Jena
  • Loading the player...
  • Presley's first fligt was at 4 months old and it went so smoothly. She just smiled and slept thru the entire flight there and back.  I think it's a great age for them to fly.

As far as what to take...we took our car seat and an umbrella stroller. I took my pump with me but no cosleeper or anything like that. The hotel had a pnp that we could've used but rather she just slept between us in the bed. It was a wonderful first family trip and definitely put my mind at ease for future trips ahead of us.
  • I also think this is a great time to travel with a baby. They are so easy!

i would leave the carseat and take the snuggle nest. if you have a sling or moby, use that for the cab ride.

bring a couple frozen bottles but also the pump. you'll want the pump to avoid being engorged when she has bottles, even if you don't give her the milk you pump. kwim? but frozen milk needs to be used pretty soon after being thawed so what you bring might not be good on the last day you're there. better to have the pump.

be sure to bring plenty of diapers. while i'm sure you can access laundry facilities while you're  there, i'm willing to bet the resort charges a pretty penny for pampers! 

• everyone has already said what I was going to say. Great age for a trip, we took DD to CA when she was 4 1/2 months old and she did great on the plane, slept the entire time. I also fed her on taking off and landing to help with her ears popping (she doesn't take a paci). Also, if you read some research on the air on the airplane it isn't bad at all. It's circulated constantly, best to leave the air on above you, you know the vent thingy, and the "germs" only go 10 feet or 4 rows I think it was. You are more likely to get the "germs" in the aiport. Keep her covered with a blanket as much as you can as you are walking around, that's what we did and no problems!
  • Thanks so much for all of the advice!  It really has put my mind at ease about the trip.  DH has a Bjorn so we'll take that.  I have a Hotsling but I don't really use it.  Everytime I put her in it, she spits up.  I think it puts her in a weird position with her tummy.  We have a "Happy Spitter" right now, but hopefully it will improve before our trip.  If not, I'll just be bringing lots of cloth diapers/burp cloths.  HA.

I think I'll bring the snuggle nest.  It folds up and would easily fit in our suitcase.  The resort does have cribs but I'm a little weird about using one.  Not sure how safe the specific cribs they have are and/or germs on the crib.  I know I am probably being a crazy first time mom ;)  My concern with the water was just if I was going to use it to wash pump parts, but I can use bottled water for that.  We've been to Mexico many times over the years but one of our last trips to Cozumel I got horribly sick, so I am a little paraoid because I don't want any of us to have to go through that :)

• if you have a microwave in your room, take some of the medela steam bags that you can sanitize your pump parts in those
  • imageprincessmah:

Thanks so much for all of the advice!  It really has put my mind at ease about the trip.  DH has a Bjorn so we'll take that.  I have a Hotsling but I don't really use it.  Everytime I put her in it, she spits up.  I think it puts her in a weird position with her tummy.  We have a "Happy Spitter" right now, but hopefully it will improve before our trip.  If not, I'll just be bringing lots of cloth diapers/burp cloths.  HA.

I think I'll bring the snuggle nest.  It folds up and would easily fit in our suitcase.  The resort does have cribs but I'm a little weird about using one.  Not sure how safe the specific cribs they have are and/or germs on the crib.  I know I am probably being a crazy first time mom ;)  My concern with the water was just if I was going to use it to wash pump parts, but I can use bottled water for that.  We've been to Mexico many times over the years but one of our last trips to Cozumel I got horribly sick, so I am a little paraoid because I don't want any of us to have to go through that :)

if you don't want to invest in the steam bags i have some new ones you cn have without buying a whole box (altho they're pretty awesome). i also have some Medela sanitizing wipes you are welcome to. 

• I LOVE the steam bags and use them at home but unfortunately I don't think we have a microwave in the room (since it is an all inclusive place).  I emailed the resort to make sure though.  If we don't have one, I found an electric sterilizer that plugs in that we could take.  It looks pretty small/easy to pack up.

Rayskit---If you don't want your Medela bags or wipes, I'll definitely take them off your hands next time we meet up ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"