Indiana Babies

Gassy Baby Help (FF)

We feed Similac Advanced. We use Playtex Ventaire Advanced - standard size. We use Mylicon.

She happily toots all day long. We have a 2-3 hour period every night (usually 10p-12a, last night 4a-6a) where she has a screaming fit and gas that hurts her tummy. One of us will sit and rock her, rub her belly, pat her back, help her bend her legs and try to push it out. I just feel like a horrible mom when I can't help her rid the gas pains.

1- We'll be talking to her ped this week about trying a different formula.

2 - Any suggestions on a bottle that works the best to eliminate air in the tummy? Must be available in standard size nipple, she refuses the wide nipples.

3 - Mylicon is NOT working. Any suggestions for something that does?

Any other support or advice is much appreciated. I just want our baby to feel better.

Re: Gassy Baby Help (FF)

• Mylicon usually helped us out when Haley would get that way, but I've heard that gripe water works too.  I think the name brand is Little Tummy's or something like that.  I've really heard that it works wonders.  Good luck.  I remember those episodes and they aren't fun.
  • Have you tried Gripe Water?  It doesn't help DS with gas (it's great with him for hiccups though) but I know a lot of people say it does wonders for gas on their LO.  Also, are you giving the Mylicon drops to her orally or are you putting them in the bottle?  DS does better with Mylicon when we put it in his bottle with his formula.  I've heard great things about Dr Browns bottles for gas but we've never tried them.

I don't have any other advice because we also use Playtex Ventaires and are just started trying Similac Advance this week after getting the ok to stop preemie formula.  We originally used Playtex Drop-Ins but they gave DS more gas than the Ventaires do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagegizmo909:

Have you tried Gripe Water?  It doesn't help DS with gas (it's great with him for hiccups though) but I know a lot of people say it does wonders for gas on their LO.  Also, are you giving the Mylicon drops to her orally or are you putting them in the bottle?  DS does better with Mylicon when we put it in his bottle with his formula.  I've heard great things about Dr Browns bottles for gas but we've never tried them.

I don't have any other advice because we also use Playtex Ventaires and are just started trying Similac Advance this week after getting the ok to stop preemie formula.  We originally used Playtex Drop-Ins but they gave DS more gas than the Ventaires do.

This is a good point.  We used Dr. Brown's until Haley was about 6 months, then switched over to Playtex Ventaire.  I think the Dr. Brown's definitely helped her gas issues.  We started with Avent and they caused her a lot of problems.  Maybe experiment with different bottles to see if there's a different bottle that helps more.

• imagegizmo909:

Have you tried Gripe Water?  It doesn't help DS with gas (it's great with him for hiccups though) but I know a lot of people say it does wonders for gas on their LO.  Also, are you giving the Mylicon drops to her orally or are you putting them in the bottle?  DS does better with Mylicon when we put it in his bottle with his formula.  I've heard great things about Dr Browns bottles for gas but we've never tried them.

We haven't tried Gripe Water yet. We have been putting the Mylicon drops in her bottle AND giving them orally when she's really gassy/fussy.

Thanks to you both for responding! I will pick up some Gripe Water & Dr. Brown's bottles today. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

• We switched Evan to Similac Sensitive when we started to ff...and it made a huge difference...such a happy baby!

Bottles...have you tried Dr. Brown's?  We've tried and liked Born Free, Playtex Drop-ins, and Dr. Brown's (Evan adapted to all of them).

Have you tried a warm washcloth against her belly?  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • I don't have a lot of experience in this area - but Andrew would get really constipated (and reflux would get worse and he would stop eating) after not pooping for about 5 days.  If we bicycled his legs (move them in a bicycle motion) it seemed to help and he often farted a lot when we did that :)

You might try that!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"