Birth Stories
Options

Bump article about breaking the pregnancy news

Hi everyone! My name is Laura and I?m new here at The Bump ? I was hoping you may be able to help me with an article by answering this question:

What was your husband?s reaction when you told him you were pregnant? From the good to the bad to the somewhere-in-between, what did he say and do when you broke the news and why?

Please share your stories here. I appreciate your help!

Re: Bump article about breaking the pregnancy news

• Options

Well... It all started October 7th, 2009. For about a month I would say i was "hormonal" because I would cry and stress and get mad at him and even cry at work. I just started a new job and it was a office full of woman, who i guess envied or hated me from the start because I was kind of shy. They started talking behind my back and I kept telling my husband I have to quit, I am looking for jobs, I swear something will come up. Anyways he said just hang in there til you find a new job. So the next day I went in and quit without telling my husband. I just knew once he got home and saw how stress free I was he would understand.

So after returning my key at the evil workplace and everything, I went back home and just started balling on the couch.  I was a mess, and it really wasn't like me to be like that. I also felt horrible that I quit my job without my husband knowing. That is really not like me. But I hadn't been working much last year anyways because the stress of trying to get pregnant, havign another miscarriage (our 3rd) and not getting along with my family, so anyways I texted him and told him what happened. He was pretty mad surpriselingly, I think he really wanted to get that motorcycle, and without extra income he didn't think it was going to happen. Anyways he was so mad that I kept crying even harder. So I got online to check my email trying to think of other things but how life was just so crappy and how bad I felt for quitting my job. And I was just a mess! Depressed stressed.. a emotional rollercoaster if you must!

So as I was checking my email I got this email from babycenter saying your 8 weeks pregnant! I was like... spam... next... pampers coupons... next... how to eat healthy before your pregnant... delete... next... and then it dawned on me, I hadn't had my period since August, which was totally normal since they were so irregular, but for me to be so emotional just wasn't like me. I had 2 pregnancy tests in the bathroom for whenever that miracle happened. I knew it wouldn't have been morning pee but I still thought hey let's at least rule this out, and if I am not pregnant I will just cry some more, no big deal. So i go into the bathroom and pee on my little stick, just the ones with a line for pregnant, or no line for not pregnant... right when theat pee got past the control window.. bam A BIG PINK STRIPE! I grabbed the box to make sure it didn't need to have a plus or something, i was like are you serious?! I am pregnant? no i am not.. can't be.. not possible... 3 miscarriages.. kinda hard to believe your pregnant or get excited. I texted my husband and just asked.. would you still be mad at  me if I just took a pregnancy test and it said I was pregnant.. he just wrote back this....  : ) definitely not babe So I said, well i just did, and it toally says pregnant, and as I am running into the bathroom again to grab the other test to pee on it too he calls me and says are you kidding me really?!?!?!? I was like hold on I am going to pee again lol. But of course I couldn't after just peeing on one and all the excitement building up, I was in a laugh, cry, are you kidding me shocked, kinda mood... i told him i would call him back after i drank some water, and he said no stay on the phone with me until you pee. lol. Finally after about 15-20 minutes of talking about why I quit my job and he told me he over reacted and he was sorry, I said hey guess what? I am peeing! lol. He just laughed and said your so cute babe... anyways, I peed on the stick and within seconds again a big Pink line!!! I just started to cry, and I didn't know if it was happy tears, or what if this one doesn't stick tears, I just was crying, and i honestly think if he wasn't at work he would have been too.

So once I got off the phone with him I called my doctors office and made a appointment, they said by my period I was due about May 28th, and I was 10 weeks i think they said? I knew I wasn't because my periods are so messed up. But they made my appointment for the following monday. I went in and I got to talk to the doctor directly because I am high risk, and she is my husbands client at work, and she said lets do a ultrasound right now just to double check everything is ok. My hubby and I were holding hands and when they screen popped up and our little blob was just hanging out there... with a HEARTBEAT.. we just started crying, and after explaining to us what everythign was she let us have a moment, because she knew we had been trying for years after clomid, everything and then giving up saying if it is meant to be it will happen... And it did, all on our own. With every miscarriage we had never been able to see a heart beat. We even miscarried at 13 weeks when I didn't know I was pregnant until the week before and our baby was like a blob of nothing on the screen. This time it was so real. It was like nothing I ever imagined it would belike. We were in pure shock the whole day. We didn't tell anyone until 12 weeks after our doctor did another ultrasound making sure everything was ok. Everyone was so shocked. Just 6 months before we miscarried and gave up on the clomid and they fertility work we were going to start. We just couldn't handle any disappointments for awhile. And we did it all on our own. We are so blessed. 

We just found out this past Monday that our little baby is a girl =) Emily Elizabeth is her name and she is rolling around in my belly as I type. I can't explain at all how happy I am. And how amazing my dh and i's relationship has been too. We were madly in love in the begining but it feels like we fell in love with eachother all over again. 

=) bed time for me and Emily, congrats everyone else! Smile Children really are miracles!

• Options
    I didn't really know how to tell him so I showed him the digital test that said "Pregnant."  He just said "Oh, cool."  I couldn't believe he was being so cool.  Then he went back to what he was doing.  I asked him if he knew what I showed him and he admitted he had no clue...hahaha.  You'd think the word Pregnant would have given him a clue.  After I told him he was pretty happy.  He told me I had to skip my class that night so he could take me out to dinner and celebrate.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were cooking dinner and getting ready to watch Lost together. We had just gotten home from a huge camping trip, during which I took a pregnancy test that was negative. A week had passed since that test and still no period. So while i was cooking, boyfriend ran to walmart and bought a HUGE pack of pregnancy tests lol. Still thinking it would be negative, I peed on the thing and casually walked back into the kitchen to finish cooking. I was getting frustrated because it was blinking and taking so long to come up with either YES/NO.....So I handed the test to boyfriend and walzted into the kitchen. I asked boyfriend what he wanted to drink, and he didn't answer me... I turned around and he had the most crazy/happy/scared look on his face!! I walked over to the test and sure enough it said PREGNANT... He gave me a huge hug/kiss and after what seemed like forever he said...."wow.....so what's for dinner?"... lol. Typical man answer. But still makes for a good story!
  • Options
    I was 3 days late and I got up and POAS.  The + was very faint so I woke up DH and had him look at it.  By the time his eyes adjusted the + was very distinct and he said, "it's positive."  About 5 minutes later he got a really bad bloody nose.  He called me at work later that day and said he was thinking about it and got another bloody nose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

With my first pregnancy (DS), I knew I was pregnant before I POAS. I don't know how I knew, since it was the day before my period was even due to start, but I went out and bought a pregnancy test and hid it in my purse for the night. The next morning, a Sunday morning, happened to be the anniversary of DH's and my first date, exactly 10 years earlier. DH was still in bed, and I got up and went into the bathroom with my purse. I didn't even have to wait the few minutes the test recommended- as soon as I POAS, the two lines showed up, and I knew I was indeed pregnant!!!

After standing in the bathroom shaking (nerves, excitement, shock, etc!) for about 10 minutes, I finally crawled back into bed with DH. He felt me come to bed and put his arms around me, and said "hey babe, are you cold? You are shivering!"  I laughed and said "yes, I'm cold, hold me so I can warm up." So we layed there for a few minutes, and then I said "Do you love me?" and of course he said "Yes, I love you." I asked if he would love me forever and ever and ever, and he said yes, of course I will love you forever. And I said "Well, good thing, because I just took a test..."  With this, he opened one eye and looked at me, and I yelled "I AM PREGNANT!" I immediately started to cry, and DH just hugged me and kissed me and smiled. We stayed in bed a long time just holding each other and smiling.

Now, I am pregnant for the second time... again, with this pregnancy I had a feeling before it was time to POAS. It was early in the morning, DH and I were trying to get ready for work, get DS off to daycare, and get on with daily life. DH was changing DS's diaper, and he was being a little monster, not wanting to get changed and fighting his daddy. I walked into DS's room and said "DS, if you aren't a good boy I won't let you wear your new shirt!" and held up a shirt that said I am the big brother!

DH was shocked, and just kept saying really? Are you really pregnant? We were all so excited! It was the perfect way to tell my boys that we were going to expand our family again!

• Options

We found out 1 week after we got married that we were expecting!  We had been so busy with the wedding and visitors and excitement, but I still was keeping an eye on when to expect my period.  We planned on waiting a few months before "trying" but obviously didn't plan enough :-) Anyway, I took a test on friday, 2 days late, and negative.  I thought hmm, weird. Usually pretty regular.  Waited until Sunday morning and then got up early to take another test - one of those dollar store ones - and 2 lines!! Holy crap I couldn't believe it.  I got back in bed and woke DH up, " um I think there's a problem" I said. (have no idea why I said "problem") He got up and came in bathroom to look and just casually says "well it looks positive".  I was like no, no, no,  - no way.  So off we go to walgreens to get multiple more tests...I took the one that says "pregnant" and walked out of the room.  A minute later I heard him gasp and say " uh, babe!  it says pregnant!!"  I came back in the room - could not believe it!!!!    Then I started crying, kind of panicing really - its weird when you are finally in the place in your life where you want to have a baby and your life is at the place where its "ok".  I was scared though, DH said" honey were married" its ok.....it's weird because all along I had this feeling like someone was going to be telling me I was pregnant, not the other way around.

• Options

Well we weren't really trying just yet. So a few hours before we suppose to leave for a party, I decided to test, because I didn't want to be drinking if their was a possible chance I was pregnant. I went upstairs to test, and keep telling myself "It will be okay, if your not, don't beat yourself up" and "it will be awesome if you are!". So after POAS, I called DH upstairs and I asked him to go check the results in the bathroom. He looks at me and says I'm going to be a Daddy. It was the most amazing look and experience for both of us.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure he jumped with glee, lol.  I was in the midst of brushing my teeth when I looked at the test and saw the BFP so I made a weird squeal and showed it to DH while I had the toothbrush in my mouth.  He was thrilled!
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options
    We had stopped preventing pregnancy about 3 mo. before and I was hoping to be pregnant in July about my DH's birthday.  So, on his b-day, I was one day late and I took a cheap test I had at the house.  It didn't register and I thought, oh well, "dudd" and went on. I was spotting that afternoon and just let it go..... that was a Wednesday. On Sunday morning, my full cycle still hadn't started yet, so I decided to take the 2nd test in the pack.  It was like 7a.m and I was COMPLETELY surprised when it showed the BFP.  I stood there for a second in shock then jumped a little and grinned. I came into the bedroom and woke up DH with "Baby.... you need to wake up, we need to talk...." He was like, what??? I was like, "you need to get up, cause I'm pregnant!"  I have never seen him get up and moving so fast!! He jumped right up and said, "WE NEED MORE TESTS!"  hahahahaha   He didn't get the +/- concept all of a sudden and he's the engineer in the house!  So, we had to go get 2 more tests, he preferred digital... when they were positive, clearly reading "Pregnant".... we started calling family!! It's been crazy ever since. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"