Houston Babies

ferber method with naps

has anyone used this method with naps?  my son is doing great with nighttime sleep and we did ferber.  but his naps are not doing as well (only been a week though).  if he wakes up he just doesn't want to go back to sleep.  i know he's not hungry, if i hold him he calms down immediately.  are you supposed to do something different with ferber for naps?  then, what if doesn't get a nap, just skip it?

Re: ferber method with naps

• How old is your son?   How many naps are you trying to give him a day?   There are some kids that just don't take naps at all.

My son is 18 months old and takes 1 nap a day.   Usually 2 hrs, sometimes less, sometimes more (he's still asleep right now and it's been 3 hrs).   On MDO days, he might only take a 1 hr nap, so that usually means he will take a second nap when he gets home.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • he's almost 7mo.  he's been taking a 30min nap in the am - no problems.  goes down again around 1:30 or so and wakes up in about 45min.

my 2yr old naps great!  she gets a good 3hr nap every day.i pick her up from mdo just before they start their naps at 1pm so we can come home and she gets her 3hr nap.  there's a few of us that do that.

so, i guess i'm really hoping for another good napper.

• Loading the player...
  • How old is he and how many naps has he been taking?  I had an infant who slept great at night after CIO but never was a napper.  She took 2 thirty minute naps when she was really little and then dropped napping entirely by age 2.  Some children just aren't nappers. 

You could try stretching out his naps by letting him play in his crib before and after he sleeps.  That's what I ended up doing.

• imageMMS2007:

he's almost 7mo.  he's been taking a 30min nap in the am - no problems.  goes down again around 1:30 or so and wakes up in about 45min.

my 2yr old naps great!  she gets a good 3hr nap every day.i pick her up from mdo just before they start their naps at 1pm so we can come home and she gets her 3hr nap.  there's a few of us that do that.

so, i guess i'm really hoping for another good napper.

It sounds like he just may not be a napper, or you could try moving to just one nap and see if he sleeps longer for you.

• that really sounds like he's ready to move to just one nap a day
  • imagekat.in.the.hat:
    that really sounds like he's ready to move to just one nap a day

Yep, I agree.   

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • imageBritanyV:

imagekat.in.the.hat:
    that really sounds like he's ready to move to just one nap a day

Yep, I agree.   

I know "every baby is different," but I honestly don't think a 7 month old is ready for just 1 nap a day.

How is his night sleep? I found that once we got Natalie's night sleep perfected, her naps fell into place.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i don't think i could take away his am nap yet either, if i get him down later than 10:30 he's rubbing his eyes and whimpering.  we are still perfecting his night sleep.  he's doing pretty good, normally wakes up once about an hour after we put him down and cries for about 10 minutes.  then he sleeps the rest of the night and wakes up around 7:45am. 

today he slept for an hour and a half, after an about 45 minutes of crying intervals of 15minutes each.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"