Minnesota Babies

Summer Vacation Destinations?

Trying to come up with some options for a vacation this summer. The boys will be approx 4.5 and 2. We are thinking about the Dells, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking some other somewhat local options.

We plan to drive to our destination. My mom would also more than likely go with us. We are not campers. My IL's live in Brainerd, so nothing too close to there.

Any suggestions?

Re: Summer Vacation Destinations?

• Arrowhead Resort in Alexandria has an indoor pool/waterpark.
  • The dell's are a great option, and when we went we cut our costs by getting a condo and bringing our own food. That way the little ones had a place to run around and relax.

Just make sure you pick one with lots of stuff for little ones since a lot of the time you need to be 48" tall.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • What about Duluth?  There a hotel with a waterpark.  We always liked seeing the lift bridge and the light house. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A little bit of a drive...but the Black Hills/Rapid City area is a fun destination with a variety of activities... we loved the drive-thru wildlife park!
  • the dells is a good option: there are a ton of really nice things for kids that young to do--and there are family waterslides at most of the waterparks that even your 2 year old could ride on and all the waterparks have kiddie play areas specifically designed for younger kids.  there are always wave pools to enjoy too.   there is the wisconsin deer park (my daughter enjoyed that last summer at 2.5).   There is a miniature train ride just north of town that was a fun time.   in Baraboo there is the Circus World museum.

dells dot com has a coupon book for around $20 that will have buy one get one free, or buy one adult/get a child free etc.   and it has dining coupons and hotel ones too!  a great buy.  (my cousin works where they put the book together!)  

there is also the story book garden/animal safari park (again my daughter really enjoyed that).   other things for the younger crowd the Ducks, Tommy Bartlett's ski show etc.   and you can buy package tickets that give discounts for them

(i use to work in the dells during college and i go back a couple times every summer and know how to save the $$).

try a mom and pop hotel-sometimes cheaper and you still have a pool.   the indoor waterpark hotels can be very big and overwhelming for me-and if you have young kids take a stroller as you will walk forever to get to the waterpark areas from your rooms!  also don't forget to check out downtown-always fun to just wander there.

other options-duluth like someone mentioned, hayward WI, Green Bay/Door County area of WI, Dubuque, La Crosse, even Madison are all nice places to explore and enjoy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"