Blended Families

Insurance question and skids...

Hello! I was wondering if there were any women out there who work and have their skids on their medical insurance policy? Or your DH has your child on his? I have excellent health insurance with my job and DH is self employed but must have his boys insured due to a court order. He had been just paying BM $200+ dollars a month for insurance coverage. We recently found out BM isn't even paying for insurance, her dad is so she is pocketing this extra money on top of the max child support a month. So DH wants to add the boys to my policy. Wasn't sure if this was allowed since I have no adopted them or anything. I have contacted my benefits department and waiting for a call/email back but want a head start on this cause it needs to be taken care of ASAP. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Insurance question and skids...

• I know many step parents do this.  They are the one w/ the better coverage or whatever and the stepparent puts the kids on.  You may have to wait for open enrollment though to have it changed.  AND it's totally in your rights to do so.

And just a heads up, once the CS goes to the BM you can't tell her how to spend it.  As long as the insurance is valid that's all the court is going to look at.  FYI

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SS is on my insurance. The only thing would be doing it at an enrollment time or "life change" but didn't you guys just get married? You should have something like 30 days from that time to add them. Oh, and they may make you add your DH too if you are addign his children. But that I'm not sure about as my DH is on mine as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • For a while DH had the better insurance so my DD was on his plan.  After he lost his job I picked up insurance for our family, including my two stepsons.  I just had to show proof that I claim them on my (our) taxes and that DH is required by the court to have insurance coverage for them.  We claim 1 of the boys and BM claims the other but I was still able to put both on my plan. Hope that helps.
  • As long as you are married, it's fine. Your CO says that DH has to provide coverage for his kids, it doesn't say on who's policy. You're fine.

• Great so it is possible. I have 30 days once my "life changing event.. aka marriage" happens to alter my policy. We just got married and I am in the time frame.

I should have been more clear- DH pays chils support- X amount of dollars a month, and then on top of that gives her $200+  thats supposed to pay for the insurance policy.

• I believe that if you guys are legally married, you can add your SKs to your insurance...

I was on my SF's for a long time.

• Awesome! Thanks ladies. Hopefully they will call me back before close of business today.
  • If you are married and have residential custody then you can add them. If you don't have residential custody then I'm not sure... 
  • imageallyandpat2010:

I should have been more clear- DH pays chils support- X amount of dollars a?month, and then on top of that gives her $200+ ?thats supposed to pay for the insurance policy.

Is that extra 200 court ordered? Or just something he does to be nice?

I wish I could have put SS on my old insurance - it was wayyyy better than DH's, but unfortunately its regional. :( So we are all stuck on DH's for now!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageErin0922:
    imageallyandpat2010:

I should have been more clear- DH pays chils support- X amount of dollars a month, and then on top of that gives her $200+  thats supposed to pay for the insurance policy.

Is that extra 200 court ordered? Or just something he does to be nice?

I wish I could have put SS on my old insurance - it was wayyyy better than DH's, but unfortunately its regional. :( So we are all stuck on DH's for now!

Its court ordered that "he have the minor children insured". Be that he has them on his policy or pays for their mother for coverage with her policy. But she does not even have insurance- its her dad who does and she does not give them the money that DH in turn gives her, she just pockets it. Her family is wealthy and her Dad basically takes care of her, she has no sense of financial responsibility....

As an example- DH said when they were together they were flat broke- $30 in the bank account and she comes home with $400 worth of stuff from target. SHe couldn't grasp the concept that just because she wanted it, doesn't mean she could have it.

• Dh has amazing insurance, so after we got married we went on his. When I was w/my ex I had his son on my insurance & the insurance company never asked any questions. (I had started a new job & both kids have the same last name)
  • imageflippy1234:
    If you are married and have residential custody then you can add them. If you don't have residential custody then I'm not sure... 

That doesn't matter... We see my SD once a year (for like a day) and she is still on our dental.

• my SS and DH are on my insurance thru work.  They were added effective the date of our marriage.

• When I was working for a big corperation and DH and I got married I moved both him and SS to my insurance because it was much cheaper and way better than what DH had at work. BM threw a fit because it was my insurance but all the CO said was DH has to cover SS. All I had to show them was our marriage certificate and SS's Birth Certificate that showed DH as the father. Now that I work for a very very small company, just the Dr and myself, all I did on the paperwork was check that he was my stepchild and give his ssn. No big deal at all.
    Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• If it is on your CO that she is to carry the ins and you're to pay half, then I believe you need a new CO.  (as long as the kids are covered it doesn't matter what she does w/the money you give her) 

If it isn't in your CO then yes, you can put SK's on your ins.  DS is on my DH's.

• Everyone here pretty much said it but yep, regardless of whether you have residential custody, if you're married, your step-kids can be added to your insurance policy. Smile
  • I didn't read responses yet, so forgive me if this is what someone else alraedy  has said. I remember you just got married officially to your hubby. I know at my work, they allow 30 days within a 'life changing' event. IE marriage, to add pepole to ins polocies. As long as you can prove taht the kids are his dependents, you should be able to add them with no problem.
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"