Attachment Parenting

ERGO bruising?

I hate to ask what is likely a stupid question, but with all the ERGO raves, my DH's request for an easy carrier he could use independently, and an upcoming vacation..... we ordered an ERGO.  Well, it arrived yesterday and I put it on and played frisbee w/ the dogs with Kate on my back, it was great.  At first I put the waist band on my waist but felt like it was bothering my belly being so tight so I moved it down to around my boney pelvis.... well, this morning I had a bruise on my ASIS and tonight when I went for a walk I could feel the bruise and where another will form on the opposite boney prominence...... 

Where do you put the waist band? natural waist or around your pelvis?  I'm 5'5" if that makes a difference.  Do you leave it a tad loose or synch it tight? I'm thin/average (122#).  TIA

5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

Re: ERGO bruising?

• I put it lower than my waist, around my hips. The buckle (when I am back-carrying DD) basically ends up over my bladder. I'm 5'4 and about 117# and haven't had any issues with bruising. Did it feel ok when you had it on?
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • it felt okay yesterday when it was snug around my pelvis so would be bladder height .... but tonight when I was walking I could feel the bruises on the boney prominence especially under the bone where the buckle lies and when I bounced for LO.  Maybe looser?  She wouldn't fall out.
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• Loading the player...
  • The problem with too loose isn't that your LO would fall out, but that the weight distribution might go more to your shoulders or back instead of your hips. Hmmm, I would just make sure it feels snug without being too tight. I know the kind of bruising you mean because I've gotten it from backpacking, but I've never gotten it from the Ergo.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've never had that problem with the ergo, but I have definitely had bruising like you described after carrying a heavy pack while backpacking.  I wear the ergo belt in the same place as my backpack hip belt, so I can understand how bruising could happen, but I am still surprised that it did.  I am around your size, and I tighten the ergo belt as tight as possible (if DH is around I get him to give it a tug) b/c I have a bad back and want as much of the weight as possible on my hips.  I have only used it when walking, though, so I wonder if it was the twisting and other movements associated with throwing a frisbee that made the difference?  I guess most of my experience has been with a front carry rather than a back carry, so maybe that makes a difference too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"