Baby Showers

When do you typically have your shower?

1-2 months before your due date? Is over 2 months away too far away from your due date? I am due May 11th, and I am looking at possibly the beginning of March for my shower. Is that not giving my friends enough time to plan?

Just curious.. I have NO clue, and my friends are asking for dates that would work. 

TIA!

Re: When do you typically have your shower?

• I had mine about 2 months before my due date.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Oh, and really, showers do NOT need to be complicated to plan.  It shouldn't be too soon for them to plan a March shower.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • I'd say anything more than 6 weeks before your EDD is premature.
  • Have your shower when it's convenient for you and your friends to host it.  I am due May 22nd and my shower is Feb 20th I will be 27/28 weeks pregnant.  That's just the timing that worked out for my mom to be there, friends, etc.   And I didn't want to be too big for my shower I want to enjoy and have time to set up the room and buy what's needed well in advance of due date.

• imageSafaribaby:

Have your shower when it's convenient for you and your friends to host it.  I am due May 22nd and my shower is Feb 20th I will be 27/28 weeks pregnant.  That's just the timing that worked out for my mom to be there, friends, etc.   And I didn't want to be too big for my shower I want to enjoy and have time to set up the room and buy what's needed well in advance of due date.

I agree with this you want to be able to enjoy your shower and have time to set everything up/return anything. Typically it always during the 3rd Tri closer to 2 months before your due date, but it should be a convenient date for you and your hostesses.

• A month out is good.  I think going to a baby shower where the mom-to-be doesn't even look pregnant is a little weird.
  • I had my first at 29 weeks because that is the date my MIL set. I liked it being a little early because I have plenty of time to make returns/exchanges, put the stuff away, and write my thank yous. Maybe not everyone "looks" that pregnant at 7 months, but I sure do :)
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • My shower is scheduled for March 20th, my due date is May 26th. Two months out is just fine. You'll want enough time to return stuff or buy whatever you might still need. I don't think it matters when you have your shower. Have it when it works best for you and your friends/family.

• I'm also due May 11 and mine is on March 20.  Two of my girlfriends who've had babies before suggested I do it anytime after the first weekend in March.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have mine between 6-8 weeks. The 8 weeks is an out of town shower, so I don't want to cut it too close to my EDD.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • image2bmrslove:

My shower is scheduled for March 20th, my due date is May 26th. Two months out is just fine. You'll want enough time to return stuff or buy whatever you might still need. I don't think it matters when you have your shower. Have it when it works best for you and your friends/family.

We have the same EDD and shower date! I am having mine then since my Mom will be in town and it's close enough. Plus, after that it's Easter. IMO it's good to have time to return stuff, as PP said, especially if you deliver early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm having my first one this Saturday (33w1d) and my second 2/21 (36w2d).  Ideally, I would have liked to have them both done by this weekend, but the holidays put a kink in that plan :)
  • My EDD is May 2, and my shower is March 13th. I'll be 33 weeks pregnant. I wish it could have been a little later (the 28th) but that date wasn't feasible for one of the hostesses. But it'll have to work, because my birthday is the following weekend...and the week after that is Easter...and the week after that is just too close (especially since LO is measuring big...about 2 weeks bigger). But this way, i have plenty of time to set everything up and purchase the things we didnt get at the shower.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think around 28-32 weeks is about the norm. You want to give yourself enough time to get things organized and still have time to go buy the things you still need. But also, you want to look really pregnant in your shower pics...just b/c its cuter that way!Big Smile
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • I was due on 4-1 and my mom had the shower at the end of February.  The hall she rented was booked up for all of march.  My pics show my big ole belly just fine!! LOL!!  You don't want to have to too late either...you willl be uncomfortable and sometimes babies come early!
    Cheryl (26) Andy (25) Married 1 year as of 8-17-13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My mom's plannning mine but its set for about a month and a half before my due date.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageearollins:
    image2bmrslove:

My shower is scheduled for March 20th, my due date is May 26th. Two months out is just fine. You'll want enough time to return stuff or buy whatever you might still need. I don't think it matters when you have your shower. Have it when it works best for you and your friends/family.

We have the same EDD and shower date! I am having mine then since my Mom will be in town and it's close enough. Plus, after that it's Easter. IMO it's good to have time to return stuff, as PP said, especially if you deliver early.

Exactly! My niece delivered a month early and had a very healthy 8lb baby boy. Plus my gf is getting married so her shower is 3/27, then easter, and tax season for my SIL. Come May my gf is getting married on 5/1 and after that she wont be available until too close to my due date. 3/20 just works best for myself and my friends/family. I understand not having your shower too early.  But two months out isn't that bad, IMO.

• i was in the same boat; a few weeks ago . im March 10th and i wanted to have my shower late Jan or Early Feb but my mother insisted that i wait .. then Super Bowl sunday is the 7th then Valentines Day .. so i am now 34 weeks and my shower is planned for Feb 20th ! which is only 2 1/2 weeks before my EDD !

im scared that she'll come early and i wont be prepared or that ill be too lazy to even shop for items that i didnt receive and wash all of her clothes etc. but they insisted on that date plus no energy to battle with them about it ! so we shall see !

• I'm having mine about 2 months before my due date because (1) it's OOT and I can't travel past 34 weeks and (2) there is stuff going on with work that makes it harder to have it closer to my 34-week cutoff.  I'll be about 31-32 weeks.
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have heard 2 mo. That way you have plenty of time to return duplicate gifts. And finish off your register. From what you did not receive at your shower. I am due at the end of Sept. I am thinking a middle July shower. 

~ Tracy

• We're having some showers pretty early due to the hostesses. There's really no die hard rule as to when it should be thrown. Sometimes certain things have to be taken inconsideration (moves, family, availability, etc) that it's okay IMO to have them 2 months before EDD.

Shower #1 - when I'll be about 22 weeks (this Sunday). The hostesses are travelbugs and wanted to throw one before their upcoming travels and before we move out from the city to the suburbs. Even though its quite early IMO, It works out perfectly since 2 months before our EDD we will be moving and we'll be too preoccupied with our move to think about a shower.

Shower #2 - when I'll be 26 weeks. My parents are hosting this one and they wanted to host it before they move overseas for retirement. They'll be moving a month after this shower and wanted to make sure they threw one for me before they left.

Shower #3 - when I'll be 29 weeks. My brother is hosting and wanted to host this so that we could see our friends in the city before we move to the suburbs. It's 2 days before our final move and he booked everything before we found out.

Shower #4 - when I'll be 32 weeks. My MIL is hosting and this is probably around the normal timing of baby showers.

• I have a friend who had a shower planned 4 weeks before her EDD.  Baby wanted to make and early appearance and was born the week before!

Like everyone has said 1) when it's convenient for you and 2) at least 5 weeks before your EDD.

I'm due on May 21 and my family is hosting our shower on April 10.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a friend who had a shower planned 4 weeks before her EDD.  Baby wanted to make and early appearance and was born the week before!

Like everyone has said 1) when it's convenient for you and 2) at least 5 weeks before your EDD.

I'm due on May 21 and my family is hosting our shower on April 10, 34 weeks pregnant.  I would rather have it in March, but my sis thinks it's too early.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having multiple showers (work, friends, and 2 family ones) but the only one with a set date so far is one of my family showers. I have to have 2 because my husband's family is in another state. That shower will be the beginning of April when I will be 28 weeks. It had to be before 32 weeks when I'm still allowed to travel, but I also wanted to be able to enjoy it and still be somewhat comfortable in a car for 7 hours! Plus I'm a teacher and that falls over my spring break so I can travel and come home to rest before returning to work. My other showers will probably be closer to my due date which is June 27th.  I think the shower date should be whatever works best for you and your hostess. 
  • To the mommy due May 21st - me too! and April 10th is my bday:)

That said, I am having my shower on March 6th and due May 21st.  Reason being: I have a shower to attend the week before, then the week after another shower.  March 27th a wedding to attend (I wanted my friend at the shower also which is another really it is in early March).  Easter is the following weekend, my birthday afterwards, a communion, another communion, mother's day, my sister's college graduation and my due date.

Every weekend starting Feb 27th is booked until my due date.  Not to mention buying a house and moving within the next month.  

I think having one when you are not even 1/2 way is odd, but anything after about 25/26 weeks is okay.   

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"