High-Risk Pregnancy

Need reassurance that I'm not a bad mom... (semi vent)

My midwife wants me to see a nutritionist because of my high fasting blood sugars (all other numbers are fine).  Well, they called yesterday and I couldn't return the call until today.  They told me to come in tomorrow...during the day...when I work.  I told them I couldn't take off of work on such short notice.  She suggested Monday or Tuesday but I have to run orientation for new employees and I'm the only one here that does my job.

She gave me an attitude saying that they're supposed to get me in within 48 hours and that I need to do it for my baby.  Well, I'm sorry if I can't risk my job to go see a nutritionist right now.  I tried explaining to her that my post-meal numbers were completely fine anyway so it's not like anything they tell me is going to help right away and she didn't like hearing that.

She's basically going to tattle on me to my doctor and the RN at her center.  Ugh.

I feel bad but how many people can just take off a day of work with one days' notice?  Am I wrong?!?!

Re: Need reassurance that I'm not a bad mom... (semi vent)

• It's too bad they don't have a weekend day available.  I'm pretty sure my center sees people on Saturdays. 

So if you know your post meal numbers are fine, does that mean you're already checking your blood glucose sugars?  If that's the case then I'm sure you can teach yourself everything you need to know just by looking at some online resources.  Not that you shouldn't go in at some point, but with a glucose monitor and the internet you really should be able to get yourself on track.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No weekend and no evening hours which makes it pretty inconvenient when I work about 45 minutes from there.

Yes, I've been monitoring my numbers.  I wasn't able to do the 3hr test so they just had me check with a meter and the fasting number is all they're concerned with.  I've been watching what I eat all week to make sure my post-meal numbers are good (they're usually around 100...the most is 120) so I don't think it's that bad if I don't see a nutritionist right now.

I agree, I should probably go at some point but she wouldn't even make an appointment for me any later than Tuesday!  I feel like people treat you like an incompetent child who can't take care of themselves.  Clearly, I've figured out what to eat if my numbers aren't that bad...and the fasting number hasn't been affected by food at all (sadly) so I'll probably end up on medicine anyway.

Thanks for letting me vent...I'm just so aggravated with the whole thing.

• Loading the player...
  • I agree that it's terrible that they treat us like we don't know anything. 

I think it sounds like you are right on track.  I would explain the situation to your doctor.  Show them that you know what you're doing.  Show them your log of readings.  They should be able to see that you are doing what you're supposed to be doing already. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the support.  It really helps!!!  I guess I'm just having a bad day and that phone call made it worse.  I really appreciate being able to come onto this board and finding women dealing with the same types of problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"