Special Needs

ASD moms - any experience with tube in ears?

We found out this morning that DS needs tubes in his ears :(  I'm really hoping this will help because he's had an ear infection off and on for almost 2 months.  We've done around 5 oral antibiotics, the injections (2 injections per day for 3 days - that was fun), and we went in yesterday and one of the ears is infected AGAIN. 

Any suggestions for the surgery other than social story?  I'm really concerned about the anesthesia.  The dr. is supposed to explain how they do it at the pre-op visit, but I'm praying they let me stay for that part.  I will likely have to go alone too because DH will be taking DS #2 to school.  I know tubes aren't that big of a deal and lots of kids do it, but I'm really worried about this.

Re: ASD moms - any experience with tube in ears?

• I don't have any advice...but did want to tell you that the three times Aiden has had to go under anesthesia they have let me carry him back there....twice he already had an iv going bc he was admitted to the hospital. The third time was an outpatient thing....we went into a room with him and we held him while they gave him the gas mask.  He fell asleep...and we left the room and they started the IV.  Hopefully they will let you do something similar to our third time- I hear that most place try and do it that way with kids.  Good luck!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMbitner:
    I don't have any advice...but did want to tell you that the three times Aiden has had to go under anesthesia they have let me carry him back there....twice he already had an iv going bc he was admitted to the hospital. The third time was an outpatient thing....we went into a room with him and we held him while they gave him the gas mask.  He fell asleep...and we left the room and they started the IV.  Hopefully they will let you do something similar to our third time- I hear that most place try and do it that way with kids.  Good luck!  

Thank you!  This is the thing that was stressing me out the most.  The idea that they would want to take him back without me when he was awake.

• Loading the player...
  • imagebugmommy:

imageMbitner:
    I don't have any advice...but did want to tell you that the three times Aiden has had to go under anesthesia they have let me carry him back there....twice he already had an iv going bc he was admitted to the hospital. The third time was an outpatient thing....we went into a room with him and we held him while they gave him the gas mask.  He fell asleep...and we left the room and they started the IV.  Hopefully they will let you do something similar to our third time- I hear that most place try and do it that way with kids.  Good luck!  

Thank you!  This is the thing that was stressing me out the most.  The idea that they would want to take him back without me when he was awake.

I would talk to the doc about it...and talk to the anesthesiologist about it. But, I am pretty sure most Children's hospitals are used to this! :) 

• DS had ear surgery when he was 2.5 yrs old. He had full sedation under general anestesia via IV. He was out via mask/gas before I had to leave him. 

On the other hand, we've also tried going the partial sedation (oral meds) for another procedure, and that didn't work at all.  I hope they plan to do general anesthesia and it should go fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"