LGBT Parenting
Options

Starting to worry a bit

9.5 weeks left in this pregnancy and I'm beginning to worry a bit.  I feel like we have so much left to do and buy.  Yes, the nursery is 95% put together (need to order the mattress and find little decorations) and we have a car seat and monitor but that's it.  We haven't bought any of the other big items like stroller, PnP, swing, etc.  Or even the little items like burp cloths, tub and bottles.  My coworkers are throwing us a shower in March but that will be small and I don't expect them to buy any of our major items.  My parents bought us the car seat but the rest of the family hasn't asked if we have a registry.  I know people don't need to buy us gifts and I certainly don't expect them.  I just want to be able to plan. kwim? I plan events for a living! lol!  A clear picture of what I need to buy is all I'm asking for.

My maternity leave still isn't totally mapped out (waiting to see exactly when our daycare slot opens) and K has yet to find out what if any time she gets off (long story).  I need to book my parents' flight out here and in case they aren't here when labor starts I need to figure out boarding arrangements for the dogs.  We've yet to interview pediatricians and I still haven't picked which lawyer we're hiring for the second parent adoption (have another phone consultation this afternoon).

I know this is all little stuff (well except the adoption) but this week it just suddenly all hit me and is causing worry.  It's most likely due to the fact that my major work event is 2 weeks after my due date so I'm moving tons of tasks up earlier to get things done.  

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading.  I think I'll just take it one task at a time and see how far I get. :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Starting to worry a bit

• Options
    imageTwo*True:

I think I'll just take it one task at a time and see how far I get. :-)

I like this idea Smile  It sounds like a lot, but you do still have some time.  Maybe to help ease your planner-tendencies (something I PERSONALLY know NOTHING about... WinkEmbarrassed ), you could plot out on the calendar a few things to tackle each week.  Spread out the shopping, so that you are leaving some things unpurchased for your shower. 

It's possible too that some relatives have asked your parents where you're registered instead of asking you.  I say go ahead and buy anything that it's making you feel antsy to not have - for your peace of mind.  I think a lot of people like to buy "cute" but not as necessary things for baby showers/gifts anyway.  Something like the stroller - you can probably hold off on buying.  That's something you're not going to need the second the baby is born, and if you already have one picked out, it will be easy enough to order online or send K to the store after the baby is born.

But yes, one thing at a time, and you'll be fine Smile

Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I can only imagine, but I feel for you.  It does seem like a lot.  But it will get done in due course.  Go easy on yourself, and ask for help. Best of luck to you.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i cant tell you how few things we had for rosebud before she came! Of course its a different situation, but i'm just putting it out there that it will all work out, i promise!

i think there's such a misconception out there about what babies really 'need' which puts a lot of stress on expecting parents.

• Options
    imagectbride08:

i think there's such a misconception out there about what babies really 'need' which puts a lot of stress on expecting parents.

I completely agree!  K and I aren't about all the extras and really have a pretty bare 'must buy' list.  I also know that in 9.5 weeks I can get everything done (ok, well at least most of it).  Last night it seemed to overwhelm me though.  I think it was the new BRU coupons I got in the mail - lol!

• Options

Seriously you need sooo little when they come home. A couple of pairs of jammies , a couple of gowns, lots of diapers and bottles if you are going to use them... if not you don't even need to worry about those. You have the car seat to get home and that is all you need.

You have lots of time even if it doesn't feel like it.

~Kennedy

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I empathize with you so much! If it makes you feel any better, *you* are the yardstick by which we measure our readiness (or lack thereof!), and to us you seem so much more prepared than we are!!

I have yet to make a list of what we actually need, bare-minimum, before the babies arrive. Originally I was thinking car seats to get them home in, a place for them to sleep when they come home, and a few diapers. (Oh, yeah, and a car we can put the car seats in...we have yet to look for, let alone buy, a car.) But really it is much more than that, though I don't know exactly what (wipes? bottles? a monitor? some clothes?). I think you're doing great if you have a list!

Hang in there. I know it's overwhelming at times, but it will all work out somehow! (knock on wood!!)

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options
    imagethiswillbe:

I empathize with you so much! If it makes you feel any better, *you* are the yardstick by which we measure our readiness (or lack thereof!), and to us you seem so much more prepared than we are!!

LOL! Well I do have the nursery border up Wink

Thanks for understanding ladies!  Brit - I'm taking your suggestion and my small goals for this week are 1) order the crib mattress and 2) get a list of pediatricians to call.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"