Pennsylvania Babies

Mom's groups/activities/things to do

What do you do with your DC? I know there's swimming, My Gym, the library.  Where do you find mom's groups?  I know you guys have gtg sometimes during the week. What other sorts of things do you do with your dc?  DS is only 6 mos right now. I know there will be more once he is bigger and in better weather (playgrounds, playing outside, Whittaker Center) but I'm struggling with ideas of what to do now. TIA! Still mulling over the SAHM thing.

Re: Mom's groups/activities/things to do

• If you're interested, Hershey Med offers two mom's groups (open to anyone who shows up): one on Tuesday mornings for BF, another on Thursday mornings for questions/answers and advice.

PM me if you want details.

• Being honest here, we don't "do" a lot.As least not in sense of My Gym/Gymboree/classes. It took us until about the past year to get to that point, but we're all happiest when we stay home and spend time together and have really predictable days for the kids. I know that's not for everyone and every family, but it works for us. We do have activities that can do/did do, but since it's been cold we've been staying home even more. Our regular stuff in a day:

-the park(when it warms up a bit, though we go as long as it's not miserable)

-going for walks

-going to market or the grocery store and talking about the produce and plants

-the library

-we are in a Mom's Club that I love, but that's been hard with nap schedules lately

-visit grandparents

-the mall if I need to run errands

-books, books, more books

-playing outside and just letting them explore

-help me with laundry or cooking or sweeping or dusting

-baths(they're a random thing that's fun when you can't think of anything else to do!)

-When it was just Amelia we did a lot more meeting friends for lunch or going to the mall to just shop, go to Target, etc but it adds up SO quickly!

It's SOOOOOOO much better once it warms up enough to get outside more. You'll be amazing by how the days just fill up once you get into a rhythm of a day. I know you asked for activities, but just wanted to share our loose typical day to give you an idea of how the time gets filled up:

• Up between 6 and 7 Make beds, get dressed, brush hair and teeth
    • 7-8 breakfast and Amelia gets to pick one morning show that she wants to watch
    • 8-10ish play time for Amelia/nap time for Nick while I get stuff ready for the day(and we also have a little girl that I babysit who comes over around 9) like cleaning, figuring out and prepping dinner, check emails
    • 10-12ish Snack, then this is where we go out and have play dates or run errands. If we're home it becomes time for a walk or more play time or some art or reading or games - basically play where I'm a bit more involved. Before I had more than one kid, this is where I got out every.single.day - I just felt like I needed to. Some sort of walk or errands or when I got grocery shopping done.
    • 12-1ish lunch, then quiet time and I check in to see how tired everyone is and how the babies did with morning naps, sometimes a show if they didn't watch any in the morning, usually a book or 2(or 10)
    • 1-3/4ish Random naps. This usually consumes the larger part of the afternoon with 2-3 kids napping(depending if the little girl we babysit is here), so getting everyone down, bottles, feedings for Nick, etc. usually takes us to about 4. With just one, it would probably leave you a good chunk of free time in the afternoon to plan some time for yourself(reading, emails, etc) or playdates and activities if you want to get out.
    • 3/4ish Snack for Mia and Nick and we do a sweep of the house and pick up, set the table for dinner and I start getting dinner ready while everyone plays and more outside time if we can

I's fairly flexible and it changes depending what we have going on, but it's the majority of the days. As it warms up more there will be more running around outside, playing in a baby pool, etc.

Great places to find groups:

meetup.com

https://momsclub.org/

google your area and "mom's group" - I know in Lancaster there are a bunch of them, one larger one being https://lancmoms.com/ and they have tons of great info on their site about story times, events for kids in the area, etc. 

One more thing - it may sound goofy, but maybe a book about stay-at-home motherhoos would be good? I know you're still thinking a lot about everything and there are tons of great books written by moms about ways to figure out how you like to (or don't like to!) plan out days. A new one from a blog that I read is Steady Days. I just got it and LOVE it. You might find that many are written with an intended audience of older children and/or multiple children, but that's ok. There's still tons of info in them with thoughts on motherhood and transitioning from a working place to being at home, etc and the ways that people dealt with those feelings. It can be so completely overwhelming. DH and I were just talking a few days ago about how I just recently started to really feel like I'm relaxed and comfortable with being at home and enjoying it so much. It takes time and you're really smart to just try to get ideas and, most of all, talk to other people about it!

• Loading the player...
  • The church my daughter attends Preschool at has a Mom Time Group that meets the first and third Friday of every month Sept-May.  It's wonderful.  You don't have to be a member of the church to go (I am not) ... just a mom.  There are tons of mom's that attend and you sit at the same table with the same group each week.  It's from 9-11:15am.  There is child care for the kids so you drop them off in the age appropriate room (little babies you would take with you but kids age 1 and up they will watch) and then go have some breakfast, talk to the moms, do a craft, etc before picking them up a the end.  It costs $15 to register and then it's $5 each meeting you attend after that and your first meeting is free to see if you like it. 

I love it.  Being new to the area it's great to meet people and it's wonderful to have some alone time and know the kids are having fun and well cared for right down the hall.  Unfortunately I can't go right now because I have a newborn and don't want him around crowds but I'll be back in late March and can't wait. 

If anyone is intersted it's at Grace Church in Willow Valley and you can find info on their website.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"