Baby Showers
Options

2nd child shower

Hi Im new here, and have a stupid question, if you have a child (toddler) and are having another, do you have another baby shower and registry?

Re: 2nd child shower

• Options

What does your family do? What have friends or people in your area done? Etiquette says no but in some regions it is very common.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMama_SAS:

What does your family do? What have friends or people in your area done? Etiquette says no but in some regions it is very common.

This. It just depends. Some people have a "sprinkle" instead of a "shower". Or a diaper and wipes party. With kids that close in age, many usually don't have a 2nd shower, but sometimes you have family and friends that absolutely insist...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the two previous posters. It definitely depends on what your friends and family typically do.
  • Options
    It's considered very tacky by everyone I know.
  • Options
    If someone offers to have one for you then it's fine.
  • Options

I'm in the middle - if someone offers to throw you one, you can accept if you want.  However, I firmly believe a 2nd shower should be SMALL.  Not every last person you know.  Because there are people out there who DO find showers for subsequent kids tacky, and also - how much stuff do you REALLY need for another kid? 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    If you are having the same gender and they are relatively close in age, a sprinkle is the only thing you should have.  It is a very small, intimate event where you celebrate and receive very few gifts, which are generally inexpensive.  If you are having a different gender, or there is a large age difference (5+years), I think another shower is okay, if someone offers to throw you one.  However, you certainly don't ask someone to do so.  If you're wanting to celebrate this baby, you could have a meet-the-baby party once it's born.
  • Options
    2nd shower isn't really common with my crowd. But if it common in your family and circle of friends; and they offer to throw you one--then go for it. Although I would assume that it will be a lot smaller than the first one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicMy food blog: Blissfully Delicious BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No one in my family has showers for any children except the first.  My DD is expecting her 2nd and is having a "meet the baby party" after her LO is born.  They always have an annual summer party anyway...so this will just kind of go along with it.
  • Options
    Chances are, if you have to ask, they're not common in your area or among your friends/family.  Either way it comes down to if someone offers to throw you a shower, but personally where I'm from they are considered gift-grabby.

• Options

imagemiaomi:
    It's considered very tacky by everyone I know.

Ditto.  As a general rule, if you feel like something might be tacky it usually is.

• Options

for my 2nd - my work thru me a little shower along with another co-worker who was also pregnant.  It was just a nice small get-together, they gave us gift cards. 

A small group of my family and friends thru me a surprise little shower at a tailgate in the fall (my DH coaches).  it was nice they had little baby dinnerware and also gave me a gift card.

• Options
    I'm currently planning a "sprinkle" for my cousin who is expecting her 2nd
  • Options

Hello all. I am new here and although we are TTC we are not preggers now. However, my very good friend is with her second baby. Her first was a girl and is 2 years old(second will be a boy) and although we attempted to have a shower she went into labor prematurly on her shower weekend. Therefore she never had the shower but received the gifts.

She does not want gifts but we would like to do something to celebrate together. Games and perhaps only suggesting diapers and wipes as gifts? I need suggestions for wording the invites and if this sounds ok.

Thank you so much!

• Options

imageBrooklyn2008:
    She does not want gifts but we would like to do something to celebrate together. Games and perhaps only suggesting diapers and wipes as gifts? I need suggestions for wording the invites and if this sounds ok.

She said she doesn't want gifts, so why would you make gift requests on her behalf?  I'd just have a nice coffee/cookies get-together.

• Options
    I think this etiquette rule is kind of outdated. Especially if the second child is a different gender or it has been several years between children. I had three showers with my first son (work, friends, family). My son is almost five. I have almost nothing left from when he was a baby and there were still things I wanted/needed with him that I never received and now I know I will need them for my second son who I"m having March 19. My friends/family and coworkers offered to throw showers for me which I am thrilled for. Besides, i think every baby should be honored.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"