LGBT Parenting

Help me plan my maternity leave

My maternity leave will basically be the 12 weeks required by FMLA.  Both of the following scenarios are based on the assumption that I can work up until my due date and am not taken out on disability earlier.

1) Stay at home 10 weeks.  Then on weeks 11 and 12 work just two days (M & W).  On weeks 13 and 14 work 3 days (M, W & F).  Week 15 and on would be full time M-F

2) Stay at home all 12 weeks.  Week 13 I would start back full time.

The main difference is that with option #1 I would be getting paid for the days I work instead of using vacation time.  Option 2 would be all vacation time.  I have just enough vacation/sick/pto to cover the 4 weeks of FMLA that are not covered by disability.  I'll likely have about 1 week worth of time left over and I'd like to keep this for when the baby gets sick or if I need to take time off sometime later in the

WWYD?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help me plan my maternity leave

• I kind of like option #1 - easing back in to the work week might be a nicer transition than going back to 5 days all at once.
    Mrs._F
    sahm ~ toddler breastfeeder ~ cloth diaperer ~ baby wearer

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • #1 - i think you'll be really glad to have a transition period. it'll also be easier on your LO
  • Loading the player...
  • I like option #1, and have been considering the idea of something similar for myself. 

Although there are daycare costs to take into account too. Depending on your daycare you will probably end up paying the full week amount for both of those partial weeks... so you have to decide if that is worth it.

Maybe I don't have a heightened sense of smell, but I've never smelled any vagina on my pants. -- TSD

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Bloggity Blog - You know you want to...
  • I vote for 1.  I had 16 weeks off (thank you DC government!) and ended up going back on a Wednesday since that was the first day our nanny could start.)  While I didn't need a transition as much from being away from the kids - I did need the transition back to a working lifestyle. While being on maternity leave wasn't a vacation - it was a jolt to the system to have to be up and dressed by 7am, work all day, and then come home to do everything that needed to be done at home. It was nice to do that for 3 days and then have 2 days off to recuperate. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Option 1 sounds like the most gentle way to go back.  Less stress=happy mommy and baby :-)
  • I vote for option 1 I wish I could have eased into it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • option #1 sounds good.. dat way u get to ease back in to work and it wont seem so overwhelming when u start back full-time
  • Just like everyone else here.. I would also chose Option #1.. it seems to make the most sense and the best of both worlds. 
  • Option one is my favourite. Being able to ease back into work sounds so much nicer than just having to plunge back in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"