Minnesota Babies
Options

Daycare - you've GOT to be kidding me!

$275/week - at the CHEAPEST center in our area that has an infant opening.  We currently have an in-home, but need out, and are making the switch to a center.  We had no idea that MN has the highest daycare costs of any state!  Gotta love living in this city......

Re: Daycare - you've GOT to be kidding me!

• Options

Isn't it crazy?  We spend more every month on daycare than we do on our mortgage.  (full-time at Liv's center is over $300/week)

But, if I look at everything our center offers (ie, teachers with bachelors degrees in early childhood education) and do the math - the high tuition makes sense.  

People keep asking when we are having number two, and I just laugh because I can't imagine having two in daycare!  I don't know how people afford it. 

• Options

We want to keep kids 2 years apart, but I agree, the thought of 2 in daycare scares the crap out of me!  We're going from $140/week for an in-home to $275/week for the center.  You can't put a "price" on your kids....but jeez!

I agree about the centers.  We are just having so many issues with our current provider that we're finally just decided to buck up and pay for a center.  It still hurts a little but though!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's definitely an investment as I like to call it.  Our discount ran out for being new to the center, so now we're paying $309 a week...and that's in little St. Michael.  But I love the place and the teachers.  They are awesome!  They're never closed (except for holidays of course), they don't have sick days or go on vacation and their hours of operation work with our schedule, so I wouldn't have him anywhere else.
  • Options

Oh man, that's depressing to read! We're not sure what we're doing once #2 gets here. My MIL watchs Olivia 4 days a week right now and we pay her $150 a week (which I think is quite a bit to may her, but whatever). She's not sure if she "can handle" watching two when the new baby gets here, so we may be looking at daycares. Obviously we would be putting Olivia in a center since it must be cheaper than a newborn, but I'm sure it's still crazy.

Ashley & Christian
  • Options
    Where are you looking for daycare??
  • Options
    imagecaduscher:

We want to keep kids 2 years apart, but I agree, the thought of 2 in daycare scares the crap out of me!  We're going from $140/week for an in-home to $275/week for the center.  You can't put a "price" on your kids....but jeez!

I agree about the centers.  We are just having so many issues with our current provider that we're finally just decided to buck up and pay for a center.  It still hurts a little but though!

That's too bad...I pay $140/week for in-home, but I love and know my provider.  We would REALLY have trouble if we had to move DD to a center.  No chance you can get into another in-home or is that just out for you guys?

• Options
    imagesevans1975:
    imagecaduscher:

That's too bad...I pay $140/week for in-home, but I love and know my provider.  We would REALLY have trouble if we had to move DD to a center.  No chance you can get into another in-home or is that just out for you guys?

We need the flexibility of a center.  Both my husband and I travel frequently for work, so we need to know that we will always have the same daycare schedule every week no matter what.  Unfortunately, our in-home provider also left us with a sour taste in our mouthes for in-home daycares as well.  When our kid(s) get older, and can communicate with us more, we may open our minds up to an in-home again.  It's just too hard for us right now with an infant.

• Options
    If you're in the Plymouth, Minnetonka, Hopkins, Golden Valley area I would recommend Lil Newton's Nest. I pay $250 a week for my baby. Yes, its expensive but she loves it there and they are so good to us and her. We had had a disastrous in-home experience and I was very reluctant to even put her back in a daycare setting (we were interviewing nannies). But, my husband and I compromised and decided to try this and if it didn't work out again, we would move forward with the nanny. I checked out a ton of centers (even Kinderberry Hill at $500 a week for PART TIME) and decided to go with LNN even though they were new, etc. We've cut back in other ways to make the tuition doable...and I have to say, I save a ton of money now that I never go out anymore. Not sure to be happy or sad about that. :) Good luck with your search!
  • Options
    We also use Lil Newton's Nest in Plymouth and have been very happy there.  They are an independent center which is pretty much all-inclusive (diapers, wipes, formula if you need it, and organic food).  They also have developed an amazing curriculum for all their age groups.  www.lnnest.com
    Bellastella227
    My prince and princess...
    <a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/bellastella227/?action=view
  • Options
    I wish I could go there, that looks like it's really nice!  Unfortunately, I have to stay in St. Paul in the MaCalaster/Groveland, Highland Park neighborhoods.  We found a center that's $230 for 3 days...so we're going to try to make it work for now...
  • Options
    Although the centers maybe expensive, often they are much cleaner and very strict about germs. Which especially with H1N1 going around is a very good thing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

What center did you find in St. Paul?

I'm just starting to look for daycares and am in St. Paul, so either the Mac/Groveland, Highland Park or Merriam Park will hopefully find something.

• Options

We have two in a center--have for a year now.  Yep, it's a second mortgage payment.  Fortunately DD2 is moving up in a week or two to the next room where the rate goes down.  We LOVE LOVE LOVE the people at the center.

But the flexibility and "constant" (no sick or vacation days, etc) offered by a center are what we need.  DD1 is in preschool at a center that has an accredited program.  It is so nice not to have to worry about pulling her out to go somewhere else for that.

Plus, they are not as inflexible with schedules and rates as people think (ours, anyway).  We could easily switch to a part-time schedule for a very short amount of time and get charged accordingly.

And just one note about MN and the cost of daycare, the reason it's so expensive is because of the rigorous rules and regulations enforced.  I'll take that over a state with a ratio of 8:1 in the INFANT age group anyday!!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageteambean:

What center did you find in St. Paul?

I'm just starting to look for daycares and am in St. Paul, so either the Mac/Groveland, Highland Park or Merriam Park will hopefully find something.

A Child's View in Highland Park (their location on Marshall Ave. was really gross when I visited there, this one is MUCH better)  All the other centers in this area were $300+ for full-time care for infants... there are a lot of great ones in this area if you can afford it though!

• Options

May not be in your ideal location, but we have my son registered with New Horizon in downtown St Paul (just off Robert St in the Securian Bldg) and it's $250 for 4 days/week. That's after a 10% discount from my employer, you could see if they have discounts for yours as well.

The center is clean and I thought it was pretty nice, there's also an outdoor play area for when they're bigger, which is unique for a downtown center.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"