Blended Families
Options

Bedrooms for 3 kids in a 3 bedroom house!

The one thing that I can't stop thinking about is the fact that I am now going to have three kids in a 3 bedroom house.  My stepson is 8 (which I normaly dont call him that because we dont like the step word in our family) and my son 5, we are trying for #3.  My oldest is only here every other weekend and at least one night through the week.  My problem is I have a 3 bedroom house and hopefully soon 3 kids.  If I have a girl the bedroom thing will not be an issue but if I have a boy....do I let Gage have his own room once the baby gets older even though his is not always here.  I dont think it is fair for the boys that are here all the time to have to share a room and then on the other hand is it fair for Gage to have to share a room with his younger bother when he is here????  Please help!!!

Re: Bedrooms for 3 kids in a 3 bedroom house!

• Options
    Same sex share one room.  If you end up w/3 boys, oldest gets their own room.  (IMO)  GL
  • Options

If it were me, I would put the two oldest in the biggest room and the baby in their own room - as the kids get older you can revisit it if it is not working but that allows you to have a nursery and allows the kids that are there every day to have space.  You could also give the biggest room to the youngest and have your SS have the small room and use it as a playroom when he is not there but that might not work and others might think this is unfair. 

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My mom had 3 girls in a 3 bedroom townhome. I am the middle. When Little Sis was born, she was given her own room (nursery). When she was about 2(?) and old enough to sleep in the bottom bunk bed, Big Sis moved out.

At LS's birth, BS was 7, and I was 5... I shared a room with LS until BS went to college, and I commandeered her room. Sucked, but c'est la vie!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would look at how much space you have in your bedroom.  We kept Monkey in our room for the first 9 months (would have been a year if we hadnt moved) in her crib. 

That made late night feedings easier and saved the SS from hearing her.

Then, once the baby is older and on some sort of night time schedule, then you can make a better determination of who gets what.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

I grew up in a 3 bedroom house.  My parents had the big room, my brother and I shared the middle room until we moved when I was 10 and my dad's guitar and drum kit had the smallest room!  That is just the way it was and I can honestly say it never occurred to me that I should have my own room. 

In your case I would put the baby in the smallest room and the two older boys can share a room.  No kid 'needs' their own room.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageLittlejen22:

If it were me, I would put the two oldest in the biggest room and the baby in their own room - as the kids get older you can revisit it if it is not working but that allows you to have a nursery and allows the kids that are there every day to have space. 

This.  If the oldest isnt there all the time, he shouldn't have the biggest room to himself.

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Options

We have a 3 bedroom house, When SS is here there are 3 kids at our house plus we have 3 adults. DH and I have the master (since its our house). SS(11) had his own room until recently. DS (1) slept in his crib in our room until he was 16 months old then we moved the crib into SS's room. BIL and nephew(4) also shared a room until recently. But we all decided it was best for nephew to learn to sleep in his own bed. So the older boys share the bunk bed and DS has his crib. The rooms really aren't that big, but we make it work for us and really have had no complaints from any of the kids. Oh and we have SS EOW, so his room was never being used really.

For your situation I would think about starting out with the crib in your room if you can. If not I would put the older too in the bigger of the two bedrooms and make the other one into a nursery. That way it doesn't affect the other kids sleep schedules so much when baby wakes at night.

Proud Step Mom to Zachary 10-26-98
    Loving Wife to Billy 04-28-07
    Proud mom to Jeremy 08-15-08

• Options

I would give the baby the single until he is a little older (assuming you have a boy). Then I would put them all in one room and have the 3rd room be a play room.  I don't do tv/ video games/computers etc in kids bedrooms so I would have all of this stuff in the play room. I'd use bunk beds and maybe a trundle bed for when the oldest is over.

Good luck!

• Options
    sorry, posted twice on accident
  • Options
    imageluckyangel:
    imageLittlejen22:

If it were me, I would put the two oldest in the biggest room and the baby in their own room - as the kids get older you can revisit it if it is not working but that allows you to have a nursery and allows the kids that are there every day to have space. 

This.  If the oldest isnt there all the time, he shouldn't have the biggest room to himself.

I agree with this as well.

• Options
    We have 2 that live here, and 2 that are here every other wknd/holidays.  One on the way.  DS(10) has his own room, DS(17) has his own room.  DS(13 who lives with his father) and SD (11- who lives 3 hrs away) will have to share the room with the new baby until we can move.  We will put a twin bed in baby room.  When all are here we have found no one actually sleeps in their beds, they camp out in living room with big screen till all hours of the night.  It's pointless for us to dedicate a bed room for that.
  • Options
    imagefinners82:

I would give the baby the single until he is a little older (assuming you have a boy). Then I would put them all in one room and have the 3rd room be a play room.  I don't do tv/ video games/computers etc in kids bedrooms so I would have all of this stuff in the play room. I'd use bunk beds and maybe a trundle bed for when the oldest is over.

Good luck!

This.  We did this when we had two and three bedrooms.  The boys shared a room to sleep and had a room to play.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"