Health & Exercise

Post partum dieting and exercising.

Hi girls - my DD was born on January 13.  I'm finally starting to feel good again - not perfect but good.  I had a vaginal birth but received some lovely stitches for a good tear I got but other than that no complaints.  My question is this... when can I start dieting again?  Do I need to wait til the end of my 6 wk pp recovery?  I know exercise is iffy but I can start walking again.  I'm  BFing (pumping) to dry out my supply so that's not an issue.  Any suggestions.  My appt isn't til end of Feb w/ my OBGYN so I wanted to see what everyone thought.  I can always call him and inquire prior to my appt if need be.  Kel

Re: Post partum dieting and exercising.

• I have read wait 6 weeks but I started at four. Before that, it just wasn't worth the trouble because it was the holidays and also lots of people were bringing us meals.

I'm doing Weight Watchers--gained 40 and have 13 to go.

BTW, with DS #1 I was exercising by day 10--Pilates and elliptical. I called and got permission. I had 2nd degree tear.

Good luck.

• I started walking 10 minutes per day one week pp.  And gradually increased my time as the weeks progressed.  I didn't start any other type of exercise until approval from my 6 week pp appointment.  If you're not Bfing or pumping, I would start dieting immediately.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i started walking maybe the 3rd week, but my feet wore very swollen so it was hard to fit tennis shoes. i was breast feeding, so i waited to 4 weeks to start dieting, but i kept messing up. i really got hard core Jan 4th which was about 6 weeks. i am doing the 30 day shred by jillian michaels from the biggest looser, its hard, but i feel it working... i gained 65 and lost 30 after baby, i have lost 7 in the past 3 weeks from elliptical, watching my calories and the 30 day shred
  • I had a very simple natural vaginal birth, so I was in pretty good shape.  I started exercising 2 weeks after the birth, but that was pretty mellow.  I didn't up my exercise until after my 6 week checkup.  I am just now at 3 months adding a little running to my walking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"