2nd Trimester

XP: Incompetent Cervix and Fibroids

I already posted this on High-Risk, but thought I would give it a try here too as I need some positive insight! I had an u/s yesterday and it looks like my cervix may be shortening. Will be going back in one week to re-check, since two different techs took the measurments and they want to rule out human error. I had two LEEP procedures done ten years ago so I knew this was a possibliltiy. The doctor said we will do a cerclage if it continues to shorten.

My major concern is that I also have "fibroid city" as my doctor calls it, which he said could put me at risk for pre-term labor. This, compounded with the cerclage, could create an "interesting situation" because if the cerclage is in place and I go into pre-term labor, it could rupture the cervix, etc., etc. FYI doc, I don't want to be "interesting"! Having already suffered one loss, this thought is just overwhelming me. Does anyone have any experience in this arena? Thank you.

Re: XP: Incompetent Cervix and Fibroids

• I have a cerclage and IC, but no experience with the fibroids.

I know that i was concerned about PTL and what could happen with the cerclage and they explained that if I did go into PTL it would cause the cerclage to bleed and would be a warning sign to go to the doctor/hospital to manage the situaiton.

I am sorry for your loss and I wish you luck.

•  
    I only have fibroid experience. I have had 2 major surgeries pre pregnancy to remove fibroids. The 1st time it was 17 2nd time it was 12, rather large ones. The 2nd surgery was May 08 and they have grown back. My current OB is the one who did the 2nd surgery. he is aware of my fibroid past as well as the 2 large ones I currently have. He said that they grow more rapidly during pregnancy due to increased hormones.

His course of action is to put me on partial bed rest at 6 months, which is next week, and I will have a C- section 4-6 weeks before because the fibroids are taking up space for my baby to grow.

So far my pregnancy has been pretty uneventful, I did have 4 days of bleeding at 6 weeks, since then I have been fine.

Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have fibroids.  A couple are pretty large - one measuring in at 6 inches!  My docs said I could go full term, I could go into premature labor, or I could end up on bedrest.  My outcome is pretty much unknown, and it's kind of scary.  I do know that I will have to have a c-section, and I have a significant chance of delivering early.  I have, however, heard of many women who have successful pregnancies with fibroids. 

Good luck!

• Thank you ladies. I've been given the same kind of precautions regarding the fibroids. It's all unnerving! I wish you the best of luck too and thanks for the info.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"