Baby Names

Briar. Boy or Girl's name?

J and I love the name Briar, for a girl. I love the Sleeping Beauty connection (Briar Rose). 

Some people have said that Briar is a boy's name. What do you think?  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Briar. Boy or Girl's name?

• I immediately thought of Sleeping Beauty! I think it's a cute girl name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Girl's name, for sure.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That would be a wussy boy!!
  • who the hell would name a little boy the same name as sleeping beauty?  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagettmccoot:
    who the hell would name a little boy the same name as sleeping beauty?  :)

This is what I thought! A few of my friends said that they love that name for a boy. Then again, one of them was convinced she made the name up.... yeah.  

• I thought Sleeping Beauty immediately as well.  However, I think "Briar" was supposed to be an old fashioned term that they used to address someone, like saying "Miss" Lauren, so I don't think it was her actual name, I think Rose was.  It's really nms, but if I had to pick, definitely girl!
    Pregnancy Ticker Melanie Paige was born 7/7/10 @ 8:48 AM- 7 lbs 4 oz, 19 in! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lana Michelle was born 1/9/07 @ 9:40 AM- 6 lbs 14.5 oz, 19.5 in! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JMHO: I wouldn't name your daughter this unless you intend to call her "Briar Rose".  But it is  your kid...name it what you want.
    dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• imageCissi64:
    JMHO: I wouldn't name your daughter this unless you intend to call her "Briar Rose".  But it is  your kid...name it what you want.

Why? So people know the connection? Just wondering what you think :)  

ETA: We wouldn't be naming her Briar Rose.  

• I like it! Great girl name...
  • Definitely a girl's name.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Definitely girl, and I like it.
  • I think of a briar patch...not something i would want to name my child after.
  • I didn't even think of Sleeping Beauty and still thought Briar was a girl. I'd feel bad for a boy named Briar...
  • Didn't even know of the Sleeping Beauty connection, and it says "girl" to me.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• reminds me of a patch of spiny thistles, to be honest. 

but girl thistles, nonetheless.

• I agree it is definitely a girl name, but i dont really care for it (I also wouldnt name my daugther Aurora, Belle, or Ariel either, but thats just me)
  • i think it is  some form of title like "miss" that was posted earlier.  sleeping beauty's name is aurora, tho.
  • imagekrystal1892:
    i think it is  some form of title like "miss" that was posted earlier.  sleeping beauty's name is aurora, tho.

In the Disney movie, yes. In the original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales, the sleeping beauty tale is titled "Briar Rose" and that's her name.  

• imagemagsugar13:
    I think of a briar patch...not something i would want to name my child after.

this.

• My H loves this name. He says: "Liam Neeson plays Briar Gates in the Movie Next of Kin (which is a better movie than Sleeping Beauty)!" He wanted DD to be Briar if she would have been a boy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic CafeMom Tickers
  • Girl
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• girl--and I think it's adorable.
  • NMS for boy or girl. Sorry. I wouldn't associate it one way or the other, though. Unisex, I guess.
    My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • Girls, all the way.

• imageerinms:
    Definitely girl, and I like it.

This

• imagemagsugar13:
    I think of a briar patch...not something i would want to name my child after.

This. 

• Girl- It's my first name. Most people that have never heard it, think it's a nice name. And most people have never heard of Briar Rose, as sleeping beauty.

One of my sisters coworkers tried to tell her should name her (my sister's baby) Briar, even though it's already my name, b/c the coworker loved the name so much, lol. My Sister's reply was "But it's my sisters name...and she's still using it." 

And for the record I've always loved my name. The only problem was substitute teachers that had never heard the name always thought the roll call had a typo, and would call out Brian.

• i thought of boy first but now having read the sleeping beauty connection I think girl :)
  • I thought girl but behindthename.com says both. It also says the only meeting is a thorny bush, which is what I think of. It sounds pretty in theory, though.
  • imageelk571:
    I thought Sleeping Beauty immediately as well.  However, I think "Briar" was supposed to be an old fashioned term that they used to address someone, like saying "Miss" Lauren, so I don't think it was her actual name, I think Rose was.  It's really nms, but if I had to pick, definitely girl!

I think you're thinking of Br'er Rabbit (like the Uncle Remus stories).  It's an old souther term for "Brother" - so more like "Mister."  "Briar" for Briar Rose was referring to the briars surrounding the castle where she was sleeping.  I immediately thought of Sleeping Beauty, too.  It is def. NMS.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"