Alabama Babies
Options

Enfamil AR questions

I noticed in Candi's posts about solid foods some of you mentioned using Enfamil AR.  We just switched to this Monday and I was wondering what you guys thought about it.  John has pretty bad gas and gets constipated and I've read the formula can make it worse.  Any advice on how to handle that?  Did your bottle nipples get clogged?  Any tips or tricks you've figured out?

Re: Enfamil AR questions

• Options

We used this b/c of Robinson's reflux.  We had to use fast flowing nipples since it's so thick.  DS also has always had consitpation issues (preemie thing not related to formula) so we use Miralax- but that's long term use. If you LO is old enough...sometimes a little juice in their water does the trick.  I would ask your pedi what they suggest, though, b/c doctors are very specific on what they want you to try for constipation....

Gripe Water does wonders for gas/tummy aches :)

• Options

We switched to Enfamil Gentlease for Payton's tummy issues -- gas and constipation.  She didn't have reflux so AR wouldn't have been the formula for us.

It helped some, and then we transitioned her to the Target Up and Up generic knock off of Gentlease (in the purple can) and it was like MAGIC.  No more tummy issues.  She poops after almost every feeding (similar to a breastfed baby) and gobbles up her bottle.

I would try Gentlease if your baby doesn't have bad reflux and see if that helps.  Payton does spit up occasionally, but it's usually when we overfeed her.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We use it.  Aubrey started spitting up the Enfamil Premium at around 2 months (when I say spitting up I mean like at every feeding).  Our pedi told us to switch to the A.R. We had to switch to the level 2 nipples (we use Dr. Brown bottles) because it was so thick.  I haven't noticed any constipation...in fact her poopy diapers increased...instead of 1, we now get at least 2 sometimes 3. 

I agree with MrsB though...if he isn't spitting up a lot then I'd try the Gentlease.  And gripe water is fabulous for fussiness!  

• Options
    We are on it because of spitting.  I used scissors and made the hole in the slow flow nipple a little bigger.  It works fine.  Aidan does have constipation issues and my pedi said to give him prune juice but it didn't work.  I have occasionally given him a glycerin suppository.  I mix his oatmeal every morning with apple prune juice and that has seemed to help.  His bottles are very foamy so I put mylicon in every bottle.  It reduces the foam and helps his gas. 
  • Options
    imagestar21gazer:

We use it.  Aubrey started spitting up the Enfamil Premium at around 2 months (when I say spitting up I mean like at every feeding).  Our pedi told us to switch to the A.R. We had to switch to the level 2 nipples (we use Dr. Brown bottles) because it was so thick.  I haven't noticed any constipation...in fact her poopy diapers increased...instead of 1, we now get at least 2 sometimes 3. 

I agree with MrsB though...if he isn't spitting up a lot then I'd try the Gentlease.  And gripe water is fabulous for fussiness!  

I'm using Similac Sensitive RS and have Dr. B's bottles as well and aslo had to switch to the level 2 nipples because of it. But his poopy diapers decreased...

William still has lots of spitup and pedi gave him a prescript for Zantac which has worked wonders

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"