Health & Exercise

heart rate question

How do I find out what my heart rate should be when I am running.   I think my dad said something like "take 220-your age."  I don't want to overdo it while I am running and pregnant.  Does anyone also know a good range to stay in?  I just the garmin 305 with chest strap for my bday so I will always know what my heart rate is.  Thanks!

Re: heart rate question

• It's not really a set number as it depends on your pre-PG level of fitness and activity. A good guideline per ACOG/ACSM is a max HR of 160. I go over a bit when running hills or spinning, but the key is to know your threshold (around 220-age is max HR) so that you do not go into an anaerobic phase.

If you can hold a conversation with a little effort, you are fine. If you are so winded that you can't talk, SLOW DOWN. 

Hope this helps. 

• thank you!  this does help!
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelaineybix:

It's not really a set number as it depends on your pre-PG level of fitness and activity. A good guideline per ACOG/ACSM is a max HR of 160. I go over a bit when running hills or spinning, but the key is to know your threshold (around 220-age is max HR) so that you do not go into an anaerobic phase.

If you can hold a conversation with a little effort, you are fine. If you are so winded that you can't talk, SLOW DOWN. 

Hope this helps. 

This.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your personal range may be differ from the guidelines, if you would like to narrow in on your personal range, you can calculate using you resting heart rate by taking you pulse first thing in the morning before getting up (or after a nap :)   To get an even more accurate range, you factor in your maximum heart rate you can achieve (without passing out :), but I would wait till after baby to figure that one out.  Here is a link to help calculate your ranges:

https://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp

Knowing your personal zones help keep workout from getting boring by adding another measured factor besides time for interval training, etc. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"