Detroit Babies

baby question

This might not be the right place to post a question like this..but here it goes anyways... my daughter has had this nasal congestion for almost a month now...at times it sounds like its getting better, then other times its really congested and now she's starting to cough more. we have tried everything...cool mist humidifier for her room, elevating head of her bed, saline drops with bulb suctioning. she hasn't been running a fever...but today she seemed increasingly fussy.  we started her on rice cereal last week and, it could be just a coincidence, but her congestion seemed to get worse.  has anyone come across late onset formula/dairy allergies ..she's 4.5 months old, or allergies to rice cereal? weve been to our ped...but they only gave us the recommendations that we are trying already.

...has any moms out there had any of the same issues or what advice do you have from your experience...anything would be appreciated.

Also..Im a little nervous in general about starting solid foods. Like how much to give, are they eating enough, when do you give water..at how many months did you start solids?...any advice or were there any website that you all recommend? sorry for so many questions..first time mom...can't ya tell! :)

TIA!!

Angie

Re: baby question

• Hi Angie,

Have you tried vapor bath or a little Vicks on her feet at night?  Is your DD in daycare?  If it doesn't just seem like winter/cold weather congestion, you might want to consult a different ped.  Kids get sick and maybe it's nothing, but if you feel like it's getting worse then you should see if another doctor can tell you anything else.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest starting solids while your DD isn't feeling well.  I'd hold off for a couple of weeks since solids aren't really needed at four months.  My ped said not to start water until six months and then only a couple ounces a day.

• Hi Angie!

It sounds like our girls have a lot in common! DD has been congested for what seems like forever. Finally our pedi recommended a very small childrens Sudafed. We also use baby Vicks after bathtime, and sh sleeps on an angle. It cleared her up for the most part. Also, don't bulb more than once daily- it can actually cause MORE mucus, and irritate her nasal passages, making the cingestion worse. Our doc sai it takes about 2 weeks for them to fight off a cold, but ours has lasted for about a month now.

Our DD has a milk protein allergy, so we use Similac Alimentu formula, the telltale sign of this allergy is blood in the stool. She's had cereal in her formula for quite some time due to her GERD, but it did take some time for us to find one that didn't make her pukey and fussey. We us the Earth's Best Organic (yellow box with babies on the front) and it is great.

Good Luck! Let me know if I can be of help! Us first-timers have to stick together!

• Loading the player...
  • When my cousin was started on cereal my aunt and uncle discovered he was severely allergic to wheat, rye, and barley grains.  However, he started swelling and having labored breathing immediately.  I would talk to your pedi about the congestion to see if it is an allergic reaction or just a cold. 

• We're going through something smilar with DS right now.  He got a cold at the beginning of December and it's been coming and going since.  The doctor doesn't seem too concerned because his lungs sound good despite how nasty the cough gets.  Like he said- if there's congestion, the cough is going to sound bad because all that junk is just draining.  If she's extra fussy, it might not be a bad idea to take her in just so they can check out her ears.  That's our other problem- when the congestion and cough gets bad, they've been turning into an ear infection.  I know they say that they usually tug at their ears, but that hasn't always been the case with DS.  I have a ear monitor and that's usually how I catch his ear infections.

As far as the foods- I agree with the pp that you should consider holding off until she's feeling better.  Did the pedi have any suggestions with how to start?  That's what we did in the beginning- just followed their suggestions.  As for the water, they recommend waiting until 6 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't start solids until she is well.  DD didn't start until she was 5 months, she was just ready then & even the pedi thought so.  As for water, I didn't even give any to her until she was 1, saw no need, she needed her formula more, that has all the nutrients. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Definitely check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com!  I didn't start DS until 6 months- I wanted to wait as long as possible.  As for water, I thought it wasn't necessary to give water if they are still getting formula or BM, but I'm not positive. 

You've already gone to your pedi w/ the allergy concerns?  I don't really have any advice, other than to follow your own mother's intuition & keep pushing them.  Good luck.

• To preface, I'm not in medicine but my family is loaded with adults and babies (including my DS) that have been diagnosed with reflux & allergies. Food allergies in a wee one like dairy intolerence generally cause more of a reaction than stuffiness - think heavy spit-up, fussing and pulling off at feedings, colicky crying, arching and gas and signs of gastro upset, rashes around mouth and in diaper area, etc. Simple reflux can cause similar symptoms (sans rashes) as well as congestion & throat irritation.

If those symptoms sound more like your boo then talk to your Ped about the possibility of reflux. You didn't list it so I'll add to make sure you are keeping her upright for about 30 min after feedings to minimize spit-up/reflux, etc which can worsen her congestion. If you want to investigate whether its a general hayfever type congestion, talk to your ped maybe about trying a trial with an appropriate Benadryl dose. Another possibility is that she has swallow coordination issues but if she is feeding and gaining normally that is unlikely. Generally, it is normal for wee ones to be a bit phlegmy early on and that may have been exacerbated by a cold and then extended by the dry winter conditions.

And I agree that you should hold off introducing solids for now - babies don't nutritionally need solids until 6mo+. Her oral coordination, immune system, and digestive system will be stronger then and if she does have a problem with any of those things having glops of cereal in her throat that are harder to swallow will just add to her discomfort. Give the congestion a chance to clear and she will be better able to taste and enjoy food anyway. 

And for future reference, my DS was a fussy eater diagnosed with reflux and at 6 months hated plain cereal mixed w formula and wouldn't swallow it, just sort of gag. So at first I thought he still wasn't ready for solids or was allergic, etc. Then one day I tried a little pureed pear w cereal and he went berserk and couldnt eat it fast enough. So sometimes the issue is that they just know what they like and you haven't found it yet! Good luck to you!    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"