1st Trimester

Cymbalta during pregnancy?

I didn't find out I was pregnant until  I was 7 weeks, and I was taking Cymbalta.  I immediately stopped taking it and went through horrible withdrawal these last few weeks.  I've been trying to decide whether I should start an anti-depressant again or try to go drug-free.  I'm worried I might have a really bad relapse so I'm trying to plan what medication I should start up in case that happens.  My midwife is recommending Zoloft if I have to go on something, and the Psychiatrist I saw is recommending going back on Cymbalta, because the baby has already been exposed to it.  However, there is no studies done on pregnant woman and Cymbalta; even the website states you should probably not take it in the 3rd trimester.  I'm so confused!  I'd love to hear from women that have taken Cymbalta in the past, or even during pregnancy!

Beth

Re: Cymbalta during pregnancy?

• I have never been on Cymbalta, but I weened off Lexapro in August when my husband & I began TTC. My general practictioner switched me to Zoloft, which did absoloutely nothing but send me into a black hole... Long story short, after talking with my OB, I learned that Lexapro is ok to be on during pregnancy (I have been on it for 6 yrs). Being depressed while your pregnant, is almost worse for your baby than being on anti-depressants. You have to do whats right for you & what your Dr. recommends of course. I hope this helps :)
  • I was on Cymbalta before getting pregnant with DD.  I weaned myself off, but at 20 weeks, my anxiety was back strong as ever.  Dr. prescribed Zoloft, which helped for the remainder of the pregnancy and while BFing.  DD had no withdrawal symptoms after birth. 

I decided just to stay on Zoloft because I knew we would be TTC.  I don't feel as great as I do on Cymbalta, but I'm not comfortable being on it while pg or breastfeeding.  Good luck!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe consider Wellbutrin? It is generally thought to be a 'safer' med during pregnancy... it works on norepinephrine levels (whereas the Zoloft and other SSRI's work on serotonin levels, and Cymbalta helps with both levels). It may not be the right choice for you, but just an option to consider.

wonderboy, born 08/10/10; healthy & amazing. 
    runaway bunny, born and died full term 02/17/14.
    bfp #3 10/03/14 (first attempt following perinatal loss); labeled nonviable 10/25/14
    bfp #4 11/28/14 (first attempt following miscarriage); betas look good 12/04/14; high risk "100% happy" with ultrasound & heartbeart 12/29/14.

"I am half agony, half hope." [jane austen] 
  • I see a pharmacologist and knew I wanted to get pregnant.  While there are no studies on Cymbalta, drugs in the same class have been tested in pregnancy and so his conjecture was that it would be fine.

That being said, I planned over 6 months before getting pregnant to switch to Zoloft.  I had real worries about doing this, since I had been on Zoloft before, and it didn't work.  The plan was that if it didn't work, I was going back on Cymbalta.  It is NOT GOOD to be off anti-depressants and pregnant.  Depressed women can have a whole host of issues.

I went on Zoloft and with my doctor's help, I am on the right dosage and it does work mood-wise.  Unfortunately, the aches in my shoulders and arms have been present since the switch Feb. last year.  I plan to go back on Cymbalta as soon as I can.

Make sure you are working with a good psychologist who knows the very minute effects of the drugs (this is crucial) and gets you on the right dosage asap.

• I am actually about to stop taking Cymbalta. But you may want to consider the dosage I am on now, especially if you've already stopped taking it and are suffering from withdrawals.

I went from taking 60mg daily to stopping. No good reason, I just didn't want to be on it anymore. This was about 5 months ago. The withdrawals were so bad.... I had this "electric shock" feeling ALL the time - like everytime I moved my eyes (which when you think about it, your eyes are almost always moving!) I would feel "startled." It was driving me nuts.

So my doctor suggested I go back on cymbalta (after withdrawing from it for 2 weeks!) but instead just do 30 mg, every 3 days. Let me tell you, that helped a ton and I found that it worked well with me and stuck with it all this time.

I just found out I am PG yesterday. Called my OB today, and the nurse called me and said that I could stay on the dosage I am on. I'm not comfortable with that though, so I plan to go from taking it once every 3 days to once every 4 days (so for me, instead of taking it tonight like I should, I'll take it tomorrow night or maybe even the next night) and then from that point I might stop taking it, depending on how I feel.

HTH, and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

My Pinterest
    ~L~
    Mommy to 2 boys, ages 7 and 5 and a little girl who is 1.5
  • Beth- I hope this isn't a threadjack... I saw my OB today and he wrote me a script for Zoloft.  I've had problems with depression for a really long time, but I have never gotten any help for it. This pregnancy and the life stress that goes along with it (along with the pre-existing situation) was really pushing me to a bad place and I needed help- but I'm still not sure this is the right thing for me- I have not seen a therapist or a psyciatrist to get into my head and problem.  The support of my OB comes as a big relief to me, and I hope it's true when he said that just my asking for help and acknowledging it is a major step and the hardest one... I got the pills but haven't taken a dose yet and I'm still nervous about what I might expect and how it works etc... I'm concerned that doing a Google will bring up a flood of panic inducing info and not the specific reassurances I need- so I'm asking for help form you ladies, if you know of any websites of articles that would be helpful for me, or if you have any personal stories or experiences to share- I would really appreciate your sharing those with me (here or by PM) because I'm so nervous about trying this. Thanks a LOT! -Sarah
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"